I hate my JDM

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

intheearlyhours

Ok now my car is backfiring on all cylinders im gunna see if i can find a someone to fix it for like 300 bucks. So if anyone lives in the detroit area hit me up.

91 Honda Civic 1.6 JDM DOHC

There is only an chance for a backfire if there is an ignition from a cyl with the intake valve open.
Does it idle ok? When does it 'do' it?
Was it running OK just before this happened?
Maybe it jumped time at the cam gears?
Any other previous 'issues' before this one?
Check under the cap, is it covered with red dust?

E

basically the cam gear will be on the cam backwards (ie, instead of at 12 oclock, its at 6 oclock) , or the exhaust cam is in the take slot/and vice versa. it will still run at low rpm but will spit and fire like crazy as you describe once it gets some rpm.

easiest thing to do is to pop off the cam cover plastics and see if the cam gear key looks like its in the right spot and make sure its at tdc when the crank pulley is.

the only way for an engine t back fire is being out of time take your timing belt off and put your car in time form top dead center thats the only way to do it right i have this same problem right now my car is back firing and shoting out flames

It can run 180-out?? I thought it was an 'interference' motor?
You're not running a multi-discharge ignition is you?

E

Ok i took my car in to get checked. They did a timing check and compression test. All checked out normal. So any other ideas guys. Or where can i take it to get looked at.

What was it that THEY call 'timing'?? Ignition or Valve?
Is there red dust under the cap that you have in there?

Bad reluctor/pickup under the rotor? (pull it and look to see if there is any metal shavings (or even a screw) that might be the cause?)

It's gotta be something simple that's being overlooked..
Did you pull the plugs and check them?
Can you get another dizzy to try?

The only way that a cyl can backfire is to have that cyl's intake valve open when the spark ignites and the flame travels backward to the Throttle body.

so you can limit it to valves or ignition..

E

Are you absofrickinlutely certain you plugged in your plug wires correctly? Also, make sure you didn't somehow install the dizzy 180 degrees out of time. You aren't supposed to be able to do it, but I've heard of people pulling it off somehow.

its not 180 out, ive done it and it wont even start at all. just BANG..CRACK...BOOM..POP..lol

Back