I hate the d15b7

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YouKnowWhoIBee

my avatar is better.
I just installed a 5 speed d15b7 motor into an automatic car, Z6CRX and i worked or way through troubles after troubles to complete this swap into my 95 civic hatch. We started at 7am thursday and just finished this afternoon at 4pm. Thats a total of 31 straight hours of BS. Now that the "swap" is complete i have an issue...

I HAVE NO SPARK OR FUEL!

My motor will whine instead of cranking, using only the starter to do all of the dutys. So of course my motor doesnt start. There is no gas in my fuel filter, no spark coming from my distributor, and my fuel pump never turns on. I have no blown fuses and i have triple checked connections. I have no clue why my car is not atleast turnign over.

We have tried 2 distributors with this motor, neither working. We also tried to do a compression test but couldnt find the right fitting. So now i am stuck researching this problem tonight, I dont think the main relay is the problem because it worked fine yesterday, the dizzy is fairly new with new ngks, wires, and cap. What could be my problem and could you help with a solution to this? I need my only car back :cry:

why the hell did you swap a d15b7 engine into your civic...
Dont it come with that engine already ?

Have you tried changing the ecu?

well i had a d1b7 but ut had a bad ring. So i thought it would be easier to replace the motor than the rings.

The ecu worked fine yesterday. Everything that was on my old motor is on the new motor besides the head and block. I was wodering what caused no spark or gas...

check your main relay. i have a spare one, ill let you try out. did you check all your fuese man?

yea, are you available tonight to tale a look ian or will you be moving shit?? I will pay you some money to help out with driving me up and back. ANd alsp for heping to look at it.

+1 on that stuff taking forever
also the bus crash outside the garage was pretty funny :laugh:
I have several OBD1 ECU's and a handful of main relays we can use that I'll pull out of my car when i get off of work tonight

thats if i can get a ride up there. A day and a half on a d series swap. The main deal was it being a manual motor and a auto tranny. That torque converter was a bitch. I need to do so much laundry today, and try to find out what is wrong with my car. if i cant fix it tonight... you think we could tow it james?

Quoted post[/post]]
thats if i can get a ride up there. A day and a half on a d series swap. The main deal was it being a manual motor and a auto tranny. That torque converter was a bitch. I need to do so much laundry today, and try to find out what is wrong with my car. if i cant fix it tonight... you think we could tow it james?
I'll try to get it running tonight if you cant get there, on of the reasons left that extra. I'll check the main and ECU

and now my ride bailed on me. So i have no way to get to there to help out. :cry:

*** also - checkl the engine harness on the drivers side. The harness connects to the main relay from there. See if i plugged that up right. I am thinking i may not have but check again..

Quoted post[/post]]
and now my ride bailed on me. So i have no way to get to there to help out. :cry:

*** also - checkl the engine harness on the drivers side. The harness connects to the main relay from there. See if i plugged that up right. I am thinking i may not have but check again..
You can't plug it in wrong its all different plugs. I'll check it all again though

Quoted post[/post]]
replacing the main relay and ecu... didnt work. any other help?
I'll pull another relay from elsewhere or test it on a working car cause i only had one on hand that would work on your car. The ECU's work for sure though

Another bump for an ongoing prob

i have a main relay. im local. 99% sure it works.

but i think maybe theres something wrong with the ECU. in the H-T thread Joe said that when he turns it to the ON position the CEL comes on and stays on, meaning theres a code. if im not mistaken he said that the CEL stays solid (doesnt blink) when the service jumper is jumped. correct? if so that a sign of bad ECU

yeah, i talked to Z6CRX we will be trying to work on it thursday. We both have off... would you be able to help ian? Because if it doesnt get fixed tonight, it gets towed to the shop. I have money... so i can buy a new relay. also if we get there early we can get to the junkyard and pull a obd-1 auto ecu. There is a shit load of them at the nearest junkyard. I will buy a new main relay, and if it doesnt work... return it. I get off of work at 11 tonight, ill just give you a call then. And thanks again for all the help to everyone who posted!

yea i can help just let me know when. im back in town for the summer.

I know what your problem is. I have done the swap on a '90 hatch. it is your nutral safty switch. the car has to think its in park or in nutral. It took me an hour to figure that out and then I had the problem with the key not comeing out cause the car thought it was in nutral so make sure you wire together the three wires from the auto shit locator that tells it it is in park and you shouldn't have the problem anymore. I am just hoping that is your problem cause it sounds just like what happened to me. I did the swap in 13 hours and that was with rebuilding half the motor along with it.

u can also check ur grounds, if you have a bad ground the car wont do much of ne thing other than sit there. . . haha i had that prob with my gsr swap. gotta love floating grounds

its not the nuetral safety switch.
its not the main relay
its not the ecu

these are things i checked first hand myself. ecu worked fine on another car. and main relay worked fine on another car.

at first the car had 0 compression in all cylinders. cam timing was off. fixed that and compression came to 200, 180, 90, 150. with a new headgasket. car still has no spark and no fuel. fuel pump doesnt even come on. when you turn the car to ON, the pump doesnt prime, and all the lights on the dash stay on solid (oil, battery, CEL) jumping the service connector does nothing and the CEL stays solid.

im really stumped with this car.

Back