I HAVE A D16 WITH 180+

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

evo8

hey guys,
i have a 95 civic ex and it has about 180,500 on it. my question is: can i go turbo on this motor?? its run perfect as it is. i have an apexi exhaust and aem intake...and its running alittle rich at the moment. the idel is also to low (500 ish).

i know i would get the car tuned if i get the turbo, but im just worried that this motor is pasted its dude milage wise. and if it is smater to get a swap instead then a turbo...can i get 275-300whp on a stock bottom from a b16a2?? or is the b18c better for those numbers??

thanks
-Mike

and i plan on getting about 200 out of the D16 if i go turbo...

I would do a fresh build on it first. I'd be pissed if I spent a few grand turbocharging it and then it breaks down.

you've got a good goal there with the 200 hp out of that d16 it can be done, but with that amount of miles on that engine i would think about doing a re-build of that engine, or for the money you would spend get yourself a b series engine and boost that you can easily get around 275 to 300 hp even with an ls. good luck making the your choice! :blink: :huh: :unsure:

I say blow up the d with the turbo first that way when you replace the motor and turbo it you'll know what you're doing...lol

serisously tho, its all up to your budget. If you have the money, ditch the D and go for the b16/gsr. If not, rebuild the single cam and boost that. all depends on your budget

i believe that the best thing to do is rebuild the block with forged internals....or build a panda motor

all in all keep you d... in the long run its cheaper and if you blow it you wont be out that much money
good luck

thanks for all the imput!!

i have this other question now...a couple of my buddies told me that i could get a DSM turbo from like an eclispe(1st or 2nd gen), and a stock DSM downpipe, a DSM SMIC, (oil lines, and other things required). i asked about my ecu if i wanted to boost about 7psi on a stock block for now(after its rebuilt) and they said i could use my stock one. :huh:

anyway..can i use DSM OEM parts to turbo a d16??

BTW: my buddy also has a cast manifold that was ported for like 70$(hes selling all of his stuff for something newer)

thanks for any help!!!!
-Mike

www.homemadeturbo.com

www.turbod16.com

homemade turbo is your friend, they have done sooo many d16 turbo builds with DSM parts, check it out B)

also if your on a budget check out uberdata or chrome for engine management, and i think it was beerbongskickass on here used uberdata and a home made turbo set up to get over 200whp on his d16z6, so ask him!

Originally posted by Speedracer228@Jan 3 2005, 02:09 PM
no prob mang B)

also go to www.pgmfi.org if you want to learn about chipping/tuning your own ecu through uberdata, chrome, turboedit.

Also, here is the direct site for Uberdata: www.ecimulti.org/uberdata
[post=440522]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks man for all the help. i was wondering where i could learn about Uberdata anyway...can you read minds?? :D

how about a compression and leak down test?
If the results are good then there should be no problem why you couldn't do a conservative boost+ tune.

I have been watching lots of turbo GSR videos lately and damn they sound sweet! I don't thin I could ever bring myself to get rid on my d16z6 though. It's more fun beating b-series guys with a sohc anyways. ;)

ive been looking into uberdata lately...and my question is where can i even get it??? do i have to pay for it or can i just download it to my computer(considering it uses windows to run).

im sorry if this is a noob question but im new to uberdata.

thanks for the help
-MikE

BTW: i am planning on getting the leak test and compression test to be safe :)

directly on uberdata's website there is places to download it for free, you just gotta look. I think the stable version is labled soemthing like 1.66 and the newest version is 1.7.

To get it to work, your car needs to be OBD1, and you need to chip your ecu. Then you need to get a rom burner so that you can burn your .bin files that you make for your tune and put them in your now chipped ecu. There are plenty of writeups on actually prepping/intsalling the neccissary parts to your ecu to accept these new chips but if you dont think your so good the with the soldering gun, i think some pple on HomeMadeTurbo's forum/HT do it for a fee.

Also i dont think i mentioned if your car is OBD0, then check out www.turboedit.com, basically the same idea as uberdata for OBD0.(just looked you have a 95 ex so this is just for shits and giggles)

I would also reccomend trying to get familiar with the software before you try to use it to tune your car. Also a Wideband O2 is highly recommended if your going to try and tune your own car.

sorry to bring back a dead thread, but i'm considering going turbo on my d16, but i have obdII, and i'm wondering what program such as uberdata can i use to tune it

Originally posted by VTEC_CBR@Jan 18 2005, 03:38 PM
sorry to bring back a dead thread, but i'm considering going turbo on my d16, but i have obdII, and i'm wondering what program such as uberdata can i use to tune it
[post=447520]Quoted post[/post]​

If you have OBDII you cannot use uberdata, chrome, or even hondata. You would need to convert to OBDI to be able to use any of those options.

If you have OBDII you cannot use uberdata, chrome, or even hondata. You would need to convert to OBDI to be able to use any of those options.
[post=447643]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]
yeah, i got that, but what programs such as those are available for obdII, if there are any.

[post=447643]Quoted post[/post]​
yeah, i got that, but what programs such as those are available for obdII, if there are any.
[post=447672]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

SAFC or VAFC. They are not programs but they will work with OBD2.
I am not aware of any programs for OBD2.

this may be way off, but if not ill give it a try. how about using the Apexi PFC?? :blink:

ive noticed that alot of rx7 (FD) owners have used that on theres so i think its for OBDI.

correct me please if the PFC is not for OBDII.

Back