I have a D16a6/D16y8 mini-me going on, let me know if I was wrong to rebuild!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

89' Project Civic

d16a6/d16y8 "mini-me"
So I decided I would do a mini-me, so I pieced the swap together bit by bit. Now I have everything. I decided to do a COMPLETE rebuild of the block and head. I feel that I spent too much money on this swap, please let me know what you guys think.
D16y8 Head cost me $100
I have done EVERY gasket and seal I could possibly do on this motor, and I got tinkering with some figures of how much it cost me and I came up with a figure of:

-Cleaning of head ------------------>FREE
-Valve Stem Seals (from Honda) ---> $111
-Valve lapping compound and tool -->$ 10
-Exhaust manifold gasket ------------>$ 22
-Intake manifold gasket -------------> $ 9
-Intake manifold nuts (from Honda) -->$ 17
-Exhaust manifold nuts (from Honda)->$ 17
- eGay header (4-2-1) --------------->$ 90
- Cylinder head ---------------------->$ 100
- Crower "Stage 2" camshaft --------->$ 248
- VTEC Gasket (from Honda) -------->$ 22
- Camshaft oil seal (from Honda) ----->$ 3

$649 to get and rebuild the head with all new seals, (there was also the following swap parts needed).

- 4-wire o2 sensor ----------------------------------->$100
- OBD0-OBD1 conversion harness ------------------>$ 60
- P06 ECU ------------------------------------------->$ 50
- P06 to P28 (non-vtec to vtec conversion chipping kit->$ 48
- D15b7 dizzy ----------------------------------------->$n/a
TOTAL $348

All in all the head alone cost me $997
The block is at the machine shop getting fully rebuilt (by me once I receive it back) for $750

THIS SWAP COST ME: Approx. $1,747 Canadian Dollars

i was planning on doing the same thing. i found a d16y8 head with Stage 2 Crower cam shaft & Skunk2 pro series cam gear. no ecu or dizzy. for 150. im going to put it on my d15b7 block. on my 95 dx coupe. this my first sawp ever!!! i know ima noob. i really dont know what else to do besides buying the ecu. looking at your post seems like i should rebuilt the block and the head also.

I originally planned to drop off my block and get it cleaned and inspected. I had a 73mm bore at the top, 75mm bore in the middle, and a 73mm bore at the bottom (these blocks go egg-shaped). I figured that since I would need new bearings and rings, why not rebuild the whole block. I am getting the block back on Tuesday hopefully and I bought BRAND NEW; pistons, rings, main journal bearings, rod bearings, rebuild kit, hone job to 75.5mm (20 thou over), polished crank, and ARP head studs etc etc. It has been a lot of money but now that I think about it I will have peace of mind which is worth more than money. I can't wait to get it back and rebuild it. I am stoked!!!.

how much was it to have the block inspected and serviced at the show?

It cost me $700 with all neccesary parts and labour; including, polishing of the crank, resurfacing, honing, hot-tanking, and inspection.

oh yea since you have the d15b7 dizzy how did you get the tachometer reading from it?

I am actually looking around for one currently. If I posted that I had it, I did not mean to.

For my A6/Z6 Mini-Me I did the following

-Z6 head $200 (from wreker, didn't know if it worked or not)
-0BD0 to 0BD1 conversion harness $80 shipped
-Chipped P28 ECU $180 shipped
-4-wire oxygen sensor and dizzy plugs $25
-Dizzy $25
-Dizzy coil $60

So about $600 with oil, coolant and misc stuff.

I re-used all gaskets including the headgasket and it runs perfect, balanced compression and it doesn't burn oil. And its been running fine for about 5000 KMS. But I'm tearing it apart soon to do headgasket and some other things.

I guess I got lucky. :dunno:

YouTube - Mini-Me SOHC VTEC

Last edited:
Do you know how many miles were on the head?. My head was 126k and the block 350k, I am talking kilometers though.

Do you know how many miles were on the head?. My head was 126k and the block 350k, I am talking kilometers though.
The block said it had 323,xxx KMS in the car. It may have been rebuilt but we don't know. When it was a stock D16A6 my dad skipped the timing belt and a valve went through the no.3 piston. I took the head off replaced that one piston, rod and rings with used ones and kept the origional bearings to the block. I bought the D16Z6 head from a wreker with 308,xxx KMS on the odometer, again I don`t know if it has been rebuilt or not. The stock D16A6 headgasket never left the block during the process.

i know im a super noob. but if i do a mini me transfer do i HAVE to rebuild the short block?

That is a legit question! However, you do not have to rebuild the short block. I only proceeded with a rebuild because my bore size was 73mm at the top of the bore and 75 in the middle of the bore, then 73.5mm at the bottom of the bore, as well the bore guage fluctuated like crazy while travelling from the top of the bore to the bottom of the bore. It turns out that these blocks tend to go "egg-shaped". The standard bore size for this block is 75.0mm. I took my short block to the machinist to bore it out 20 thousandths of an inch or 50mm over to make everything correct. Then I ordered new pistons (which you do not even need to do for a rebuild), rings (needed in rebuild), main and rod bearings (needed in rebuild) and a gasket kit (pretty much needed in an engine rebuild). Thank you for your reply!

P.S. If you are going to rebuild your engine let me know and I will do my best to help you out.

Back