i have a dilemma

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

micah

ok im getting about 6500 from an insurance settlment.
i have a car that is paid for that ive been offered 8k cash for and the guy i bought it from tells me everytime he sees me that he will trade me title for title for any car on his lot. was his personal car and he wants it back.

the options are limitless.

what i have in mind now.

use insurance money to buy a b20 w vtec head. sell my b16a3 and use the rest of the money to boost the b20.

trade in car for a golf 1.8t or any boosted hatch the dealer could find for me and use all the insurance money to build and upgrade turbo.

trade in car for full size silverado. bag it/slam it/ and be ridin on spinner yo

trade car for a transam and use the 6500 to boost and/or build the ta (dont really want to do this, but is an option)
id rather stick to sport compacts, thats my passion :ph34r:

pretty much i have a ton of things i could do. what would you guys do?

I'd probably trade for a new car (maybe not the 1.8T though)... $14.5K would be a nice chunk of money to play with. What the hell, get something that's boosted from the factory... it'll hold up longer than boosting a N/A motor.

ive been thinking about that, but i love my sol :worthy:

id love to have a gti vr6, but i dont think the dealer is stupid enough to trade me one for a 10 year old sol

You just talked shit aobut domestics and now a TA is an option. HAHAHAHAHAHA, sounds like someone is trying to diss shit to be cool on the board. If you wanna diss domestics, dont even let one be your option.

I agree with Loco, I'd buy something cheap, used, and reliable (if there is such a thing) and invest the rest of the cash into a nice savings account to let the interest accrue for a while.

That's a lot of money to just blow on a car all at once...if you don't get that kinda cash every day then I can tell you that you're going to miss it once it's gone and wonder "...why didn't I do this??"

Get like a 96 ///m3 and don't do a damn thing to it.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Aug 17 2003, 07:01 PM
Savings account? Hell no! I'd invest it in a mutual fund and retire at 65 with a couple hundred grand.

Well you put it into a savings account for a few years, wait till it gets to 20k and then slam it into a mutual fund and retire at 35. :worthy:

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Aug 17 2003, 11:01 AM
Savings account? Hell no! I'd invest it in a mutual fund and retire at 65 with a couple hundred grand.

Mutual funds are not a good investment right now.

Actually no government securities are good investments currently.
If you were going to save it, I'd open an account with a credit union and save the money until the market turns around a bit.

domeskilla- i didnt diss domestics i said im tired of hearing about how much faster domestics are on this HONDA board :asshat:

its gonna be spent on my car no way around it, maybe not all of it, but the majority.

i dont save money for retirement cause i dont plan on being alive then.

my luck id win the lottery and opt to get so much money a month for the rest of my life and die in 3 months, never even get to enjoy the money.
id get lump sum and enjoy it. thats just me though.

hmm i never even thought about an m3

an m3 would be damn nice. also gotta think about insurance though. im sure a 96 m3 would be about triple the insurance of my 94 sol. and im a poor bastard :rant:

by the time your going to be 65 loco that couple hundred grand will probably be almost nothing to retire on, shti SS is a joke and we won't have the option to collect, fucking baby boomers. :)

Mialn

Originally posted by sleepergtx@Aug 17 2003, 02:03 PM
Well you put it into a savings account for a few years, wait till it gets to 20k and then slam it into a mutual fund and retire at 35. :worthy:

Let's look at the math:

$6800 initial investment at age 22 in a savings account that averages 1% annual rate of return and a 3% rate of inflation, and in the year 2016, when he's 35, his initial investment will be worth $5,167.57.

Now... My dad is a Certified Financial Planner, and after talking with him about my current mutual fund to find out what the rate of return is, I'm earning 12% so far this year.

Let's look at a mutual fund that returns 12% on the same initial investment for the same period of time, factoring in the same rate of inflation as that savings account...

In the year 2016, that $6800 will be worth $21,970.50. Not bad for 35 years old, eh? Now let's look at when he's going to be 65. Everything being the same, in the year 2064, when he's 65 years old, the initial investment of $6800 will be worth $271,183.98. That's not what it'd be worth in today's dollar value. That's what it'll be worth in the year 2064's dollar value. Between now and then, he'll have earned $988,839.02 total before inflation interest, and factoring in the inflation, the interest value is $269,331.85.

So yeah, go ahead and invest it in a savings account. When we're both 65, I'll be sure to drop a few bucks in your tin can as I walk past on the way to my house on the hill.

might as well drop a flower on my grave, i hope to be dead before 65.

as far as whats on his lot, i can pretty much get him to get me whatever i want.
they go to auctions and dealer sales all the time. if i request something he can get, might take him a while but he will get it.

he had a gsr teg, 300zx, 3000gt, and multiple stangs and ta's hes offered me

I vote for picking up an 87-88 Turbo TA (aka TTA)
kinda like a grand national.

yeah those would be fast, but like i posted i wanna kind of stick to sport compacts. i just like little cars :driver:

the 3000 gt was like a 97 na slow as hell 3000gt

Back