I have b16 in my car I want a b18c now

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DJCujo84

I got a first gen b16 in my 89 civic right now. I want to drop b18c, but i still want to run OBD-0 on it. Do I need to add any new sensors or wiring for the swap or have to do anything else, and can I still use my b16a distributer on the b18c? Does the b18c have any clearance problems from either hanging lower or higher than the b16?

you have a few options, use a cable tranny, do a conversion kit cable to hydro. you will need to do a wire harness conversion kit, lowcashracing.com carries them

Uh, why would he have to mess with the transmission? The one he has in there will work just fine with the B18C.

I don't know about wiring, but yes- you'll have to change a few things. Since you want drop an OBD1 engine into your non-OBD chassis, it won't be too hard. Putting an older OBD engine into a newer OBD car is much more of a pain.

how about this, put a GSR block on you current head and tranny. this will be the least expensive route. you will not have to do any rewiring, you will not have to shell out lots of cash on a full motor, your current tranny will work. Infact slap in some ITR pistons and cams while you are at it.

Yup, that's the easiest thing to do- cheaper, easier, and you can jump your compression up a few notches at the same time.

:thumbsup:

He'll get more compression with the B16 pistons than he will with the ITR units though... the B16 pistons have a higher dome and a smaller piston to deck height. B16 pistons in the GSR block with the B16 head should give about 11.4:1 compression, which is really sweet for the street.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Sep 5 2003, 01:07 PM
how about this, put a GSR block on you current head and tranny. this will be the least expensive route. you will not have to do any rewiring, you will not have to shell out lots of cash on a full motor, your current tranny will work. Infact slap in some ITR pistons and cams while you are at it.

this has got my vote!

Originally posted by Calesta@Sep 5 2003, 10:12 AM
He'll get more compression with the B16 pistons than he will with the ITR units though... the B16 pistons have a higher dome and a smaller piston to deck height. B16 pistons in the GSR block with the B16 head should give about 11.4:1 compression, which is really sweet for the street.

I was not aware of that, I did not know that you could use b16 pistons in a B18C blcok, good to know.

I want an entire b18c motor in my car because my b16 head has already been milled down and I wanted a fresh head to build up, so I can run CTR pistons in the gsr motor with out haveing to worry about clearence problems with my valves since I will also be adding skunk2 stage two cams and valve train. I just need to know what is needed to get that motor running in my car. I will also be changeing the gsr manifold to a skunk2 manifold so i wont have to worry about that two stage intake manifold. What wiring will have to be change or added so i can run the gsr motor with obd-0 ecu (pr3).

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer+Sep 5 2003, 01:42 PM-->
@Sep 5 2003, 10:12 AM

I was not aware of that, I did not know that you could use b16 pistons in a B18C blcok, good to know.

You can use them, but the pistons don't fit on the rods correctly. I forget which rods were thinner... GSR or B16.

buddy of mine put a gsr head on an b16 block with type r internals. comp :huh: ression test read 240-ish...

Back