i have done everything possible

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civiclxb16

Ok here is the deal obd1 b16 in an obd2a civic, i had the car running for over 3 months now last thing i did to the car was put in a set of dc headers. so here is the deal i was driving along my usual run just to streach her legs and out of know where the car started to act up like it was running out of gas. impossible i just put in 10 buck of 93 octane two days ago, check the gauge half a tank, the cel came on so when i finally got her home, i check it and it was code 15(ignition output signal) so let me start the list. bought a new coil=nothing bought a new ignitor=nothing, bought a new dizzy=nothing, my boys came over we took it apart and still nothing, we barrowed my boys spark plugs and it started to start, but nothing. so my boy said"lets spray some starter fluid see what happens" boom it started but didn't live very long. now we took the fuel line out the rail turned the key and there was fuel running. and we got rid of the code 15 once we put my boys plugs in there. so we ran to the store bought some new plugs new wires new cap and rotor. went back home same thing didn't want to start the only way it started is when we sprayed the starter fluid what could it be that is stopping me from getting the car to start? bad injectors? i am clueless :shrug2:
list of all the new parts
new altenator, new dizzy, new plugs, new cables, new cap, new rotor, also i have 4 different ecus and they are all doing the same thing, chipped 28, chipped p06 (p28 for sohc) p72, and p2e for the stock set up. relays are fine because we took them out from my boys civic and put them in mine nothing put mine in his and sit started just fine, all the ecus started the other cars just fine. compression is 220 all across. timing is on point. sorry to make this so long i just didn't want to leave out any details!

check ground wires on top the valve cover as well as the tranny ground.
sounds stupid but if you dont have good ground it wont run right! maybe one popped loose.

when you pull the plugs. are they wet?

he's gettin full cranking power...

I think it's somewhere in the ignition, and you're not getting full spark.

Maybe it's grounds though. I went to home dpeot and bought some 6 guage wire and made my own.

2 from the valve cover

Battery to chassis, chassis to chassis (near trans), chassis (near trans) to trans, trans to thermo housing, thermo housing to opposite side of chassis. And I think that's it, but it has a quicker start now and runs a little smoother.

ok i understand the grounds but this is what stumps me. why was the civic running before for three months and now it is not? that is why i am stumped i mean i have the same grounds as before and i didn't unplug anything so i don't understand it i am pulling my hair out now i am going crazy with this

it sounds like you have a grounding issue with your car there should be a ground on teh thermostat and one on the valve cover. it that doesnt work make sure you have continuity from your dizzy wires back to the ecu..if all that check ok then i would try the injectors.....i just worked on a car that wouldnt start....turns out all four were plugged...before i try the injectors i would check my compression...it should be no less than 135psi...

compression is 220 on all four. i have a ground running from the front of the valve cover to the chasis right above the A/C then there is one from the tranny to the chasis one on the therm housing and one to the battery am i missing any?

Originally posted by civiclxb16@Feb 17 2005, 02:28 PM
compression is 220 on all four. i have a ground running from the front of the valve cover to the chasis right above the A/C then there is one from the tranny to the chasis one on the therm housing and one to the battery am i missing any?
[post=462197]Quoted post[/post]​

nope thats it, ok so its not a ground problem, but you said you got it to start off starter fluid. so thats usually a sign of a fuel problem, check to see if your injectors are firing, you said you had fuel squirting out so you got pressure, so you know pressure is there, check to see if they are being fired, if you dont have a "noid light" to test for injector pulse you can use a simple test light. disconnect a fuel injector plug put one end of the test light on a terminal contact and the other end of the test light on the other terminal contact, ( on the connector side) get one of your buddies to crank the car, the light should blink a steady blink, with about 1 sec intervals (roughly). if the light blinks you know your injectors are getting signal from ecu, whether or not they are plugged, that doesnt tell you that, well tells you that is taking out your plugs, cranking it over and see if you smell gas in the cylinders.

IF the light doesnt blink, get a wiring diagram and trace it back to the computer, check for continuity, maybe the ground wire back to the ecu broke. ive seen it, even from mice chewin away. and they can do it, hell ive seen a mouse chew through a cadillac 32B northstar starter cable! :eek:

also you can check to see if your injectors are even gettin power in the first place, with the key on, engine off, you should see battery power sitting at one terminal for each injector! if there isnt, you know to follow that circuit and trace down that wire and see why its not completing the circuit.

wow i hope thats it after all that typing! :D

get back to us! :)

to add to last reply swap injectors from one of your friends car and or pull them and look at them when you turn the car over make sure they have a good spray pattern also checkyour fuel press regulator

Originally posted by TWISTEDIMAGE@Feb 17 2005, 09:13 PM
to add to last reply swap injectors from one of your friends car and or pull them and look at them when you turn the car over make sure they have a good spray pattern also checkyour fuel press regulator
[post=462379]Quoted post[/post]​

please dont have your injectors out of their sockets while you are cranking on the vehicle...if you accidently have a backfire...your car goes up in flames.

well, he can pull the whole rail out and have a bucket to check the spray pattern.

But I think he already check the injectors.

Do you hear the fuel pump come on?
I have an extra good working pump from the hatch if you want it.. But you'd need a new paper filter thing.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Feb 18 2005, 08:44 AM
well, he can pull the whole rail out and have a bucket to check the spray pattern.

But I think he already check the injectors.

Do you hear the fuel pump come on?
I have an extra good working pump from the hatch if you want it.. But you'd need a new paper filter thing.
[post=462557]Quoted post[/post]​

right on....but that never seams to work out for me....injectors usually go flying everywhere....as far as the fuel pump goes i think its ok bc its purging when hose is disconnected and key is turned on....you know that little "dead plug" with all the yellow and black wires on the left side of engine bay? have you checked to see if the end cap came out?(with it in it will just be plastic on the end with it out you wil be able to see all the terminals) if it has it could be a likely cause...its very rare that four injectors take a dump on you at the same time. i would check that.

gallery_33781_211_11365.jpg

nope no shock tower plugs but i think i know what he is talking about if that plug wasn't plugged in i wouldn't get any fuel at all to the injectors but what i did was i took the whole rail off and placed them in on the head and i had it spray on to the front of the engine so that is in't the problem, i was told to check the dizzy to see if it is in 180 degrees wrong but i have to rule that out because it only fits in one way, do you think that maybe honda messed up and put it in backwards? it is a refurb !

Originally posted by civiclxb16@Feb 18 2005, 11:34 AM
nope no shock tower plugs but i think i know what he is talking about if that plug wasn't plugged in i wouldn't get any fuel at all to the injectors but what i did was i took the whole rail off and placed them in on the head and i had it spray on to the front of the engine so that is in't the problem, i was told to check the dizzy to see if it is in 180 degrees wrong but i have to rule that out because it only fits in one way, do you think that maybe honda messed up and put it in backwards? it is a refurb !
[post=462627]Quoted post[/post]​

it is a possibility that the cog could be off....put your motor at tdc and take off your cap and make sure its pointing at one.....this seeems strange to me..if you have fuel, spark, compression, and timing it SHOULD run..... :unsure:

exactly, something is missing.

Didn't you say the spark looked a little weak?
Did you check EVERY plug for spark and every injector?

Back