I have shingles :(

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lswhitecivic

VIP
I went to the doctor today cause I've had this rash that won't go away and my whole arm is sore, and found out I have shingles.

Luckily I got it on my arm and not on other worse places like chest, back, or face.

Its weird I get these weird sensations in my arm that feel like someone is poking me with needles, plus my whole arm is really sore. I guess its sore cause all the lymph nodes in my arm are inflammed.

Anyone ever have this problem before?

I feel like an old person today. :(

I thought shingles came from not showering for months on end, but I suppose this isn't the case?

No you don't get them from not showering. Its the same virus as the chicken pox. Once you've had chicken pox you can get shingles. Usually they occur in older people because they have slower immune systems, but other medical conditions can cause it along with stress. At some point after you've had chicken pox, the virus just becomes active again, causing shingles.

I had it in summer of 02. Had it all over the right upper side of my back, my side and around to the front upper side on my chest. Yeah, they suck.

lol no, its way contagious and easily spreadable

If you roll around on the blisters, sure.

No you don't get them from not showering. Its the same virus as the chicken pox. Once you've had chicken pox you can get shingles. Usually they occur in older people because they have slower immune systems, but other medical conditions can cause it along with stress. At some point after you've had chicken pox, the virus just becomes active again, causing shingles.

Yeah, it's also called herpes zoster. 90% of American adults have had the chicken pox and can get shingles at some point in their lifetime.

Anyway, I still have the scars on my back from when my mom decided to take the bandage and rip it off in one clean quick maneuver. Problem is the rash was still blistering, so it took quite a bit of skin with it.

35%20year%20Dimensional%20Heatherblend%20Shingles_JPG.jpg

Mine is nowhere near that severe, but its still painful. I couldn't even imagine having it that bad. Yesterday I almost wanted to put my arm it a sling it hurt so bad. The lymph node in my armpit was really inflammed so anytime my arm moved at all I would get a shooting pain up my arm.

does it look like this? ive never even heard about it but it looks painfull, sorry to hear it =(

I don't remember it looking like that really at all, but most of it was on my back so I could only get a good view of them in the mirror. That looks horrible, but not exactly like shingles.

it was a google image search result :shrug2:

either way i bet that really sucks, hope you feel better soon! everytime your arm starts hurting, have someone step on your toe, that'll keep your mind off your roof =)

Back