I have to buy a new daily driver...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

get_nick

These snozzberries taste like snozzberries...
VIP
I have been building my 240sx for the longest and have been borrowing an 1987 accord from my mom in the mean time. i feel guilty for borrowing it for so long so i need to get a car soon. so here are my options. I would eventually do a swap if i bought a stock eg. I am able to do the swap myself so I would only have to buy the swap and not pay for labor. Using the 240 for a daily is not optional because they are stolen more than integra gsr's here in the northwest.

A)buy a bone stock eg for $1800-$2200
B)wait 2 or 3 weeks to get more money and buy something with a b series swap for around $3500-$3700

I could get a loan for something newer but i'm looking at buying a house soon and don't want to take on the extra payments before loan approval for a house.

I could use some good input....Thanks HS

assuming its a clean swap you should be able to get an already swapped car for less than you can build it for...

wait for it, still a buyers market, you should be able to find a deal...
just look for desperate people, or the ones who started their car at 11K and realized its still just a civic and are dropping their price...

Quoted post[/post]]
why not keep the accord and buy her the stock EG?

she just bought the accord from my grandma for $1600. The accord is actually suppose to be my step dad's work car and they are letting me use it until i get something else. I would much rather have an eg than that old ass accord.

1600?!?!?!?!?!?

USD?!?!?!?!?!

good god man...
87 accord goes for no more than 500...
i got one with 80K, original owner, fully loaded 5 speed for 500 bucks, even the sunroof works...

Quoted post[/post]]
1600?!?!?!?!?!?

USD?!?!?!?!?!

good god man...
87 accord goes for no more than 500...
i got one with 80K, original owner, fully loaded 5 speed for 500 bucks, even the sunroof works...

my grandma got another car and just wanted to get that money she paid for the other car out of this accord. they live in a small town in oregon and don't know not to spend that much. hey, it was for my grandma, she's old. i know they overpaid but they needed a little work car.

oh... i didnt know it was oregon...

1600 is a good deal for that car in oregon
lol

if you need a loan for 3500 bucks to get a car, i wouldn't even consider applying for a loan on a house.... yuo're not ready.

I left with 18 grand.

and i racked up 9k in credit card bills just setteling into the place.

you need 25k. not 1500 bucks.

start saving...

Buy a bone stock EG or even an EF for like $1000. DON'T DO ANYTHING TO IT! You don't want to give potential theives the reason to steal your car. If you're building the 240, save your money to work on that because you'll need the extra cash. By keeping the beater stock and RELIABLE you will cut down on the potential of having 2 non-running cars sometime in the future.

^True words!! At one time I had 3 cars and none were running. A very bad feeling indeed :cry:

Quoted post[/post]]
if you need a loan for 3500 bucks to get a car, i wouldn't even consider applying for a loan on a house.... yuo're not ready.

I left with 18 grand.

and i racked up 9k in credit card bills just setteling into the place.

you need 25k. not 1500 bucks.

start saving...

I meant to say that i could get a loan for a new car. like a 2005 or whatever. i just don't want to have the outstanding credit when i apply for a home loan. i just want to pay cash for whatever little driver i have. I can get a swapped eg for the daily and when the 240sx gets done and reaches full value i'll probably sell it and just get a 350 or a G35. but that is after I get a house later this year.

<-bought a house, trying to refinance it...had bad to mid credit ratings, paid intrest out the ass...and one year of payments on that house is wasted...have 5 cars in my driveway....4 of them are mine...only one runs...married, and one dog....and a huge student loan.

Paying everything off is being a bitch....from car taxes, to property taxes, house payments, student loans, car insurance, gas to get to work and back, and trying like crazy to get somewhere with the house and the cars.....while working 7 day weeks for months at a time....only thing I can afford for myself is beer and cigs...and soon I might be able to afford that........and I'm only 33 years old. :cry:

Granted...all the cars will run in a few months, I'll be able to do some side bussiness from the garage...and possibly enjoy a decent year at various motorsports...just for fun....not looking to make a name formyself or pick up any sponsors or shit...but I do want to wear out a lot of tires this year. :wink:

anyways....learn from my mistakes, learn from my non-mistakes....if any....

get a RUNNING CHEAP CAR...good on gas, and if it has lasted the last 20+ years...and still runs strong....then buy it...and take care of it and it can last for another 10 years...after a while...they'll be a dime a dozen, and all the money you will save for the other car and the possible house.....by not buying a new car...meaning...your insurance, taxes, and trying to pay off that car while you'll have to bust butt to keep up with the payments....is the way to go....and any extra money you can invest or save in a bank somewhere until you find a house to buy. If I had read a post like this when I was young...I'd be living in a mansion by now... :p

just a little FYI...

I'm 25 and i'm a financial advisor in Washington State...

I've been with this firm for a little over a year now so i'm not making outrageous amounts of money yet...

I have $5k in student loans. That's about it for debt.

little FYI for you...

if all you;re carrying is student debt then you may have trouble securing a mortgage without them manually writing you...

you should open 4 revolving credit cards...
filenes, best buy, home depot, sears etc etc
whatever floats your boat...
then you charge something and pay everything but 1 dollar so the balance carries over...

if you do this for 6 months then all 3 credit agencies should give you a score...

if you already receive a score from ALL 3 credit agencies then disregard the above advise...
i myself carry no debt from month to month, always pay off my CC at the end of the billing cycle, and in effect received no credit score...
so i;m getting ass fucked and having to do a shit load of work and running around to try and get my records for the past 2 years so they will underwrtie me...
fuckers

edt:I have a capitalone card, Mastercard, Macy's card (cause i have to buy dress clothes for work), and a best buy card. But all the balances I carry are below 25% of the available limit. So i have achieved good credit.

I think I might have $7k total debt.

Shit I have 7k in debt and I'm still a freshman in college. Fucking A. this sucks.

But yeah get a beater and keep it reliable.

Back