I have to keep jumpstarting my car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thuggincivic

everytime i go to start my car i have to jumpstart my car. sometimes i get lucky and there is enuff juice in the battery to start it. and it a new battery. anyone have a clue. its not the alternator either i had it checked

I actually just had the same problem with my pickup. Check to make sure that your battery posts are not getting close to anything metal because they will arc over. I had the battery in backwards because the cables werent long enough to put it in right, so the post were close to the inside of the grill, and it arced over. How do you know that it isn't your alternator?

the way i told that it wasn't my alternator was i removed the positive cable off the battery while the car was running. the alternator would have killed the car if it wasn't holding a charge

Yeah i heard that too, but never tried it. Your best bet would be to go to an auto parts store like Kragen or AutoZone, and get them to test the alternator. then if it isn't that they can usually tell you what the problem is. thats what i did, and i just used their tools and fixed my truck in the parking lot. They are usually cool about that stuff, since you are buying their parts anyways.

thanks. i'll go take it out right now. it only takes five minutes then 117dollars for a new alternator if needed but its almost chrismas so i kno i'll get the money right back

you dont have to take it out, just drive your car down there and they can check it while its on the car

ok cool. but i'll have to wait a while to do that cuz i bought the car without a title and i am in the process of gettin a title for it.

as soon as i put the cables on the car to start it , it starts up the first time and never dies till i cut the car off and try to turn it back on

but thanks for the advice. i'll check them all out tomorrow. but if anyone comes up with more possible explainations why it won't start please add it to the forum. i usually check back every 20minutes

well i had that problem once also
it was the cable from the alt to the battary that was kinda lose/old/fucked up so just ckeck it to make sure its not something stupid like that

Back