I just got my first CIVIC!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

npk9

Hey guys - Ive been reading a lot of your posts and its very informative. But I just recently got a 97 honda civic hx. It has 63000 miles on it. It's completely stock. I would like to have fun with the car but I wouldn't want to do any type of swap - maybe in a few years or after it goes well over 100,000 miles. Is there any advice that you could give me in terms of getting more hp and how much potential hp it could have with the type of engine it has already. :ph34r:

Well you do have a vtec motor so that's certainly a start- You have the D16Y5 which is by no means a honda performance motor, but you could increase your Hp from 115 but doing the standard bolt-on's that the industry loves to make for us in vast quanties- why not do i/h/e and see if you feel a noticeable response. As far as the potential Hp of the motor, that is really hard to say- If you built the entire motor and ran a lot of boost you could make good HP numbers, as is true with any other engine- I would stay away from superchargers though, because i've herad that the d series doesn't respond that well to that kind of forced induction- take a look at the edelbrock turbo kit if you have the money to spend, because i've heard nothing but good things about the level of performance that kit has to offer, as well as the completeness of the kit- I know they don't make it for your specific motor, as it's produced for the d16y8 but it might work, it's certainly worth a look-All in all though, read some magazines, experiment a little and have fun. The only way to find out what kind of hp certain mods will have on your car is to do them.

depending on how far you want to go, you might want to consider a swap now enstead of putting alot of money into your stock engine and not getting the numbers out of it that you want. In some cases its better to spend the money on a good engine at the begining to give you more head room. Read up and find out whats available and what you want to achieve and then make you decision.

i agree with canuck. if you dump alot of money trying to make the 1.5 fast, your going to end up dissapointed with a big hole in your wallet. You will see alot more rewards with spending 3000 on a swap, then 3000 on bolt ons.

This is the reason that i am not getting a header to replace my cracked manifold, no point in wasting the money since ill be swapping around spring time.

-Chris

the fastes you can go with a 1.5 turbo or not is high 13s so the best thing you can do is NOS hate to say cuze I don't like it

nope, thus far the fastest you can go NA with a 1.5 is 10.23 buddy, turbo have seen low 10's built as well.

Like we all say it depends on how much money you have and what you plan on doing.

Originally posted by JDMilan@Oct 11 2003, 09:02 PM
nope, thus far the fastest you can go NA with a 1.5 is 10.23 buddy,

Hahaha, true, but that is HARDLY close to stock. Wasn't he running a carb too?

Back