I know I know...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RoughKnight

Christmas Car
I know it's been asked before, but im not going to be at home for a few days so I can only use my phone browser, which sucks.

Q: Any d series tranny (si/ex) will work for any d series motor? I found a 97 si tranny and I want to put it on my d15b, I know the answer is probably yes but I just wantto be 100% sure.

Kk. Few more questions, fuck being away from home. I know I know...

Q1: My valve tick is atrocious, and a local shop wants to charge $250 to lash them. Is that an okay price? And can you go into detail, because i'm not familiar with engine internals too much.

Q2: I'm running a 1.6ecu on my 1.5, obviously its rich. Everytime I depress the gas while driving, once the car goes down to about 3000 and lower rpms, it makes a gargling sound. What is that?

Q3: Car smells like oil when I get on it (probably lack of cat, test pipe ftl), white smoke at idle (rich?) and a at top rpm my buddy's mazda 6 v6 behind me (yay!) said that he saw black smoke before I would shift. Explanations?

Q4: Pretty technical question.
After about 6 months of research on various differnet forums and the interwebs, I've come to the conclusion that I cannot infact get pistons and connection rods for my car, as they have to be custom build. Which sucks. So, i'm planning to go turbo soon. I'm guessing i'm gonna have to be limited to 200hp due to the connecting rods breaking at 220hp? Is my logic correct here?

Thanks in advance.

Heck, Do the valve adjustment yourself.. It's pretty easy.
Get a set of feeler-gauges (I prefer the bent or angled ones).
Get it at TDC, adjust intake on 1-2 and ex on 3-4. Spin it 180 and do the in 3-4, and ex on 1-2... dats it!
1-12mm box wrench
1-10mm socket/ratchet or wrench.
1-med flat screwstick
Make sure you get a good ground back on the d/s cable. And get the right seal around the sparkplug 'O' rings. (see if oil has run down by the plugs. They short them out and when you take them out, all that oil drains in the cyl.)
Put a dab of sealer at the corners of the cam(s) on the cover.

Now, depending on how many miles/wear on the head The rocker-shaft journals might be worn in the head where you could adjust it over and over but the shaft itself is so worn that the spring pressure actually lets it pivot up and increases the lash.

Get the timing and valves right then it might eliminate some other symptoms like the different smells and rough running.

You can play with the lash to and get a little more or less duration out of your cam, but your only talking about a few thou.

Hope this helps..

E

Im home!
I've been looking at DIY vids on the net about relashing valves and setting my own timing... the problem is, if I get it wrong I don't have a car AND a way to get it to the mechanics lol
All those parts you listen go in total for what, 100-200 bucks? I would love to be able to pull it off, but still not sure. Thanks E

Back