I live in SoCal Can I do H22A swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Stan86

as the title.. I have a 1997 accord ex with F22B1
and i'd like to do a swap to H22A..
but I heard CA doesnt allow that.. and I wont be able to pass emission
is that true?
if it is.. what else can I do to improve performance?
I have intake and exhaust only :(

As far as I know, you can do the swap as long as you hook up all the nessesary emissions crap. I have heard of people failing simply from the header and exhaust. If the motor came out of a similar year car should be good to go.

dohcvtec_accord swapped that engine into that car, and he pulled it off in colorado where there are emissions regulations, so you might talk to him about it. I don't know if cali is stricter than colorado though. As for doing performance stuff to the f22b1, as long as its a stick, you can get some more power out of it, but if it's an auto then definitely do the swap. Intake and exhaust can only do so much for the f22 compared to a factory difference of 55+hp out of the H series engines. And as I understand it, the main thing you'll be fighting with that f22b1 is the sohc, vs. the twin cams in the h22a.

Last edited:
just make sure the h22 is 97 or newer. you should be able to pull it off. you might need to do something with the ecu and timing to pass bar (unless you get a h22a4).

dohcvtec_accord swapped that engine into that car, and he pulled it off in colorado where there are emissions regulations, so you might talk to him about it. I don't know if cali is stricter than colorado though. As for doing performance stuff to the f22b1, as long as its a stick, you can get some more power out of it, but if it's an auto then definitely do the swap. Intake and exhaust can only do so much for the f22 compared to a factory difference of 55+hp out of the H series engines. And as I understand it, the main thing you'll be fighting with that f22b1 is the sohc, vs. the twin cams in the h22a.
from wut i knoe CA is the stricktess state with emission laws,

im contiplating this smog issue aswell, since im htinking of doing this swap aswell, but im wondering about the emission passing or not, iv heard with propper tuning and pro help and the rite parts ( Ie car is 97 engine must b 97 +) then it should have no big problem, but i have yet to meet a fellow southern californian whos's
A. done this swap
B. boosted it
C passed emissions here in L.A.

i knoe there are a few who have done it, as wether they passed or not i dont knoe, or they havent reponded ot my emails

I'm not from CA, but I know sometimes it's good to have a friend that is an "inspector". What I'm sayin is a friend of a friend might be passing them, but not legally.

(unless you get a h22a4).
I'm not 100% sure, but I am pretty certain I just read somewhere that the h22a4 totally does not line up like the other h series enigines in a swap, like you would never be able to make it work, it's so different. So, if anyone else feels the urge to help me out here...

that is 100% false. no changes were made to the H22A we just put in a 5th gen (other than wiring of course). That being said, unless youre talking about the wiring difficulty of swapping an H22A4, its not too difficult of a swap.

Back