I must be slow

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Periculum

I bought a timing light yesterday and attempted to use it. It is a direct connect timing light. the instruciones told me to attach the clip to the #1 spark plug along with the two clips (one battery, one grounded). that didnt seem right cause there was no way for the spark plug to fire when the wire is unplugged. (rookie at timing lights, forgive me) an associate of mine said there should be a piece that connects to the plug and the wire to which i then place the clip. In addition, I havent a clue where the timing marks are on a 1.5 from a 91 CRX are. and how to read them. I think they are on the timing cover but :shrug2:

lol, it's an inductive force homie- you don't need to be touching the metal spark plug wire to read the current passing through it

the current passing through it creates a magnetic field around the wire :)

the clip goes on the wire...plastic part***

I discovered that I have had a direct connect light the whole time. I was missing the coil that the light attaches to. Once that problem was solved and the timing was checked, it showed well over its prescribed area (about 20? on a car that should be 16) it was equal to another notch above the top notch. But now I cant adjust the distributor because the top bolt is stripped. Vise grips here I come. .... Next step screw extractor.

Back