I need a different Car

Either one must make it up the pass

• 02+ Subaru

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

<13k out the door.

Does it HAVE to be AWD?

If not, and you're looking for options other than a WRX or an Audi, and you want a sedan, I'd go for a 2000ish 5-series...you should be able to pick one of those up for around 13k...

1987 Lotus Esprit. Done. :)
I had to do it.

Also, $12k for that Benz is AWESOME.

Quoted post[/post]]
Yup, they reduced in price drastically.

The A4 rides on the same platform as the Passat, essentially it is the same car.

Would I choose the A4 over a Passat, any day. Not for the name, but I perfer the interior better, and the exterior styling.

It does cost more a little more to fix, but that's what you get when you get into the "luxury" category.

My a4 has 180k miles on it now, not once have I had a problem with the engine/trans, I broke the axle and I wore down the ball joints substantially while tracking it so for the suspension, well, I had a couple issues, but nothing major for a 180k mile chassis. Amazingly this car still has the STOCK clutch and doesn't slip, it's getting a little soft but still engages fine.

1.8t's do have their problems but are also very modifiable engines and can be a very quick engine. A gt28rs kit with a 2.8 trans will eat an STi.

Sure the car could use some improvements but every car could.

It won't "eat" a STi, where it counts - handling. So right there to become comparible with the STi's performance you're looking at spending 6k to make the car perform and reliable.

As you said the a4 is on the passat chassis. Its a glorified passat - and as I've said - I wouldn't want that over a WRX and thats having driven in both practically daily.

...and you glaze over the "1.8t has some problems" just like its nothing. How about replacing your coilpack @ $300 a pop plus labor 4 times? $1200 right there, granted its not always that bad, but if you know the engine you know that you're going through atleast one coil pack. Passenger side window falling off the track and needing a new window kit - couple hundred from the factory right there. Electrical issues if you have one of the gremlin cars - and I know you do Bryan - good luck finding the damn issue, because unless you're an expert or really lucky, its not going to happen.

With that said, get a '02+ if you get the 1.8t. More power, but still the same problems atleast up until '05 and my knowledge ends after thats.

Get that '03 WRX with 18,000 miles for $12.5k OBO.

Quoted post[/post]]
Does it HAVE to be AWD?

If not, and you're looking for options other than a WRX or an Audi, and you want a sedan, I'd go for a 2000ish 5-series...you should be able to pick one of those up for around 13k...

Nice car, but even at wholesale he's going to piss his dad's friend off having the car in and out of the shop.

He won't be able to swing it, but the ideal car on a budget would be a 325xi if you want luxury, awd, and some sort of performance.

What happens to him if one or both of the turbos shit the bed? ...or any parts for that matter? He easily just dug himself in the hole a few thousand.

A S4 is anything but realiable. Read up the horror stories of the car on www.vwvortex.com.

He's on a budget guys. Pushing him into a luxury car thats right on the end of his budget is not an intelligent finnacial decision whatsoever. Look at Battlepoop and his lexus. Maybe if he keeps a couple thousand in reserve and has a buffer, but if you buy luxury you have to be able to repair luxury and plan for the worst.

A lightly modified A4 will also destroy a WRX.

I'm done with the war between a4/WRX

But I wil agree, the s4 is defentily not "reliable"

Quoted post[/post]]
you can get a decent 1.8T for 8k, 6k for the gt28rs kit brand new and a couple gs for some coilovers and sway bars.

Sti, :owned:

Yeah, no. You need new lighter rims and tires, end links, control arms, etc., etc. to even think about the car handling on the same level as the STi and then you have to think that the STi is a better performance platform to begin with and its always going to be a step ahead if you mod it.

So yeah, comparing what you can buy for the price of a STi, used is stupid as hell.

I bought my WRX with some goodies on it for $14,350 with <25,000 miles.

With about 2-3k worth of parts, I'm going to stop a WRX in handling and I should be right with it in the 1/4mile. A highway pull will be difficult because of the gearing that the STi has over the WRX (the Audi is going to have the same gearing problem if its an A4 not S4) but if I think your way, I can swap in a v7 tranny for like $3k more. I just spent $6k tops that puts me up to $20,350 and I'm still less than $10,000 than a STi. Fuck I could do an entire jdm v7 STi swap for $6k after I sell my motor and then spend another $1000 in suspension and $1000 in go fast bits and I'm running a 11.xx 1/4mile and stopping a STi for far less than a STi new.

...but you can do the same damn thing with a honda. So how are you going to compare that?

Quoted post[/post]]
A lightly modified A4 will also destroy a WRX.

I'm done with the war between a4/WRX

But I wil agree, the s4 is defentily not "reliable"

A lightly modified A4 destroying a WRX?

A 3627 lb vehicle with far less power stock, destroying a 32xx lb vehicle with light modifications? If you lightly modify the WRX - for less money - its going to piss all over the A4. You must've had your head where the sun don't shine when you tested that WRX and when you drive your A4 because if you've driven both you should know that performance is no where near one another (this of course is my definition of near).

You'll say "chip it". And I'll say put a TBE on the WRX. You'll say put a TBE on the A4. I'll say chip the WRX. You just spent $2k - I just spent $1500 and I'm still a step ahead of you. Understand where I'm going with this?

Its easy to say "well this car can be made to be faster than xxx car". Of course it can, if you have the money anything can be made to be faster than anything else. There's a video of a Evo stopping a ferrari on the evo boards - and thats not uncommon and the car is a fraction of the price.

a4's are nice cars.

they are "sport sedans".

the wrx is more of a tuner car.
the a4 will be more fun/classy to drive around town.

its all about what you want out of the car.

Audi's have reliabilty problems. it's not some, its all. they all have tweaks and probelms, and have a lot of recalls all the time. They are high maintainence vehicles. so keep that in mind :p

Quoted post[/post]]
a4's are nice cars.

they are "sport sedans".

Audi's have reliabilty problems. it's not some, its all. they all have tweaks and probelms, and have a lot of recalls all the time. They are high maintainence vehicles. so keep that in mind :p
Thank you.

I know you like luxury cars, yourself B, but to me it seems that if everyone here had a bank account large enough except for myself, celerity, and airjockey they'd all be on luxury car boards.

Its all about the cars application. Each car has a purpose and if you use it for something other than that purpose its going to be a subpar application.

You wouldn't use a fork to cut a piece of steak would you? You can do it, but why would you?

Quoted post[/post]]
That's nice that you think that way and all, point taken EXCEPT a 1.8T is a considerably cheaper then the WRX. So guess what..I could spend 10k on the car and put $5k worth of mods (I'd could start with this, http://goapr.com/Audi/products/stage3_long.html), and will eat a WRX..

I'm seriously done with tis fued.

Your link didn't work and thats your line of thinking - not mine.

You brought modding the car into it.

Face it Bryan, your car isn't a performance car - an econobox "rally car" that costs far less initially - even if you count the STi will outperform it. You have a cruiser car, not a performance car. Its made for middle age people that require a plush seat to plop their asses into but can't afford a car with luxury and true power - or else they'd by the a6 or a8.

Quoted post[/post]]
a4's are nice cars.

they are "sport sedans".

I won't disagree with this, most of the replacement parts that someone would eventually buy are updated and most won't have the same problem again.

link fixed...

the cheaper a6's utilize the same 2.8 as the a4. The 2.7Ts utilize the same 2.7T as the S4. The newer ones utilze the same 3.0 as the a4, the 4.2 V8 is the same as in the s4. The A6's are jst heavier and slower.

I didn't say it was a performance car, but can be built to beat a WRX/STi in any direction if need be.

The cars are now a lot cheaper then the WRX, which if someone wanted to compete with it makes it a great advantage.

I don't know why I'm still going, we're both biased, you have your opinons while some factual, some are your opinons.

Quoted post[/post]]
I won't disagree with this, most of the replacement parts that someone would eventually buy are updated and most won't have the same problem again.

link fixed...

the cheaper a6's utilize the same 2.8 as the a4. The 2.7Ts utilize the same 2.7T as the S4. The newer ones utilze the same 3.0 as the a4, the 4.2 V8 is the same as in the s4. The A6's are jst heavier and slower.

I didn't say it was a performance car, but can be built to beat a WRX/STi in any direction if need be.

The cars are now a lot cheaper then the WRX, which if someone wanted to compete with it makes it a great advantage.

I don't know why I'm still going, we're both biased, you have your opinons while some factual, some are your opinons.

Here's the problem I have here. I know all the engines I know what the cars share. I know the 2.7t in the A6 is the same twin turbo setup as in the S4, I understand this stuff. I understand the A6 is just heavier.

Now tell me if you understand that the 1.8t in the passat is the same as the one in the A4 (minus chipping)? Now tell me if you understand that the A4 is just a heavier car than the passat? See where I'm heading with this. There's a compromise to be made between performance, luxury, and price. If you want all three, from the factory, you're going to pay a huge price tag - S4, m3 ring a bell? Yeah.

And my argument was that a WRX/STi could just as easily be built in any direction to beat the A4 because its a step ahead of the car to begin with. Understand this - Brian's STi will always be faster than my WRX should he want to mod his car, its just all about how much I'm willing to spend in a car thats a step behind his car to make it the same level or a step ahead. Like I said, the same can be done with a civic and thats what this site is all about. With money, anything can be made to happen.

And I do have bias but I'm not telling him that the WRX is a better car. I'm telling him that I believe the passat is a better car than the a4 at what it does. I'm not comparing two different cars that have two different functions - like E did.

Luxury and less reliability - Audi
Performance and better reliability - Subaru

Uhh, like I said my good old 12V is damn reliable, electrical problems, a few, nothing drastic or too annoying, suspension, nothing out of the ordinary and conisdering the mileage pretty damn good.

You have a different concept. I most defenitely wouldn't have bought an A4 to be able to beat anything on the road, nor a passat for that matter. The fact is, you can be well within respectable HP limits and be able to take out the ordinary WRX with a cheaper total price and still ride in "luxury" if you want to call it that.

Electrical issues if you have one of the gremlin cars - and I know you do Bryan - good luck finding the damn issue, because unless you're an expert or really lucky, its not going to happen.

This statement gave me the motivation to actually go out an look at it, I've been lazy. I don't have luck on my side, so I must be an expert. Some wires needed a little replacing because they were shorting.

To those who didn't know the problem, any time I depressed the brake pedal the driverside corner light would illuminate.

Quoted post[/post]]
Oh an I have to add more to the other list of cars.

Sexy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-MR2-...sspagenameZWDVW

I want to make it to the pass not get stuck in a ditch 5 blocks from my dorm....

I'm really iffy going into debt for a car, so I'll chat wit my old man today and see if he'll budge on either and front me the cash or cosign. Otherwise snow tires here I come.....

But shit, my brother had a passat. He bought it for about 12k in 03 and it was a nice ass car. Not to quick but I mean it was incredibly comfortable. Only problem with passatts is that they're all auto. Manuals are too rare.

Back