I need a different Car

Either one must make it up the pass

• 02+ Subaru

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

11 grand for an automatic mr2??

wtf is wrong with america

Yeah I realize that they're all fwd. Back to why I want the audi a4.

How much slower is the wagon wrx compared to a sedan? I found a few for 14k within 100 miles and a wagon would be great because I love transporting my shit and not having to borrow a mini-van to move in and out of the dorms.

Quoted post[/post]]
Yeah I realize that they're all fwd. Back to why I want the audi a4.

How much slower is the wagon wrx compared to a sedan? I found a few for 14k within 100 miles and a wagon would be great because I love transporting my shit and not having to borrow a mini-van to move in and out of the dorms.

Runs the same times.

Much cheaper in most places, then again I had never seen the prices that you were getting on WRX's in your area.

I simply did not get one because I don't like the look of the wagon whatsoever, and I'm usually not big on cosmetic, but yeah definately not a wagon I liked.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
11 grand for an automatic mr2??

wtf is wrong with america
VIN number issue. It's clearly a 5 speed.

And for the right one, it's top value, but it's not insane.

My friends that I was talking about isn't low mileage like that but practically everything is replace in terms of mechanical parts. The body is still original paint and in great condition. He did all the retarded amount of work to his car, including having the block professionally built, the upgraded intercooler, coilovers, turbo, etc., and I don't think he could pull down that kind of money for his car and thats in the tri state area.

Granted, they people looking at the cars would probably be too different kinds of people - one looking to collect a MR2, and one looking to drive and race a mr2.

I think the Wagon is worth it. It's not as common, a little more refined (The wing looks childish to me) and the balance is still right on around the corners.

Eeeek!

No wonder neither of you like the car.

I passed up an '04 Wagon with 13,000 miles that was driven by a family and traded in for a van a year later, for $17,xxx and that was tri-state area prices. That was a cheap car, for my area.

She loves the car. I like the car too, I don't think it's all that though. And I still think that sports car performance should be reserved for sports cars, not family cars.

The fact that the car gets 22 mpg (And I'm lucky, apparently) sickens me, and the overall quality-per-dollars-paid ratio is WAY off.

-> Steve

Quoted post[/post]]
a4's are nice cars.

they are "sport sedans".

the wrx is more of a tuner car.
the a4 will be more fun/classy to drive around town.

its all about what you want out of the car.

Audi's have reliabilty problems. it's not some, its all. they all have tweaks and probelms, and have a lot of recalls all the time. They are high maintainence vehicles. so keep that in mind :p

Since you are going to leave it stock mostly go for the Audi, it's more grown up.

Well, my wife has the 2003 A4 3.0 Quattro. It has 75,000 Kilometers on it. NO problems whatsoever so far. No electrical, no engine, no suspension, no anything. The only reason we've ever taken it to Audi is to get our free scheduled matenence (bumper to bumper until 160,000Km's, no less). The only really expensive thing to do on an Audi is the timing belt @ 155,000Km. $1500 cdn.

No reliability issues whatsoever with the Audi.

The A4 (2003+) and the Passat share the chassis and engines...that is all. Suspension/interior/gearing/options/ sound system/interior options/wheels/tires/paint/headlights/brakes/ect...ect...ect... are all diffrent. If you're going to base an arguement over a shared engine, than lets just gather them all together....let's see.... golf, jetta, sirrocco, corrado, passat, A3, A4, A6 ..... same engines and shared components across the board. Totally diffrent cars. Another example: Civic and integra .... same engines.....same chassis....same car? maybe.... drive the same? Nope...not at all.
Even minor changes can be felt drastically on the road. A4 and Passat drive and perform the same? Nope...not at all. Thats why when you drive a Passat, you don't really think anything....when you drive an A4, you smile. BIG diffrence. We did the test drives back to back when buying the Audi.

As to the Subi/A4 fued...not going to get into it. All I can say is that my wife's car will and has outhandled a WRX with me behind the wheel. Quattro is dubbed the best 4WD system in the world for a reason.

Which has the best bang for the buck? The Audi, hands down. The WRX is a GREAT car, but just a little out of it's league in this comparison. But keep in mind I'm basing this comparison on 2003 models.

If you can get the Audi from a dealer, all the better. Since we've purchased the car, we've been sent christmas cards, party invites, and invitations to Audi track events near us, which we will attend next year. It's a great community.

Peace.

Yes the audi community is cool.

Personally, the only reason I don't like the stock slightly older (>2002) Quattro trans's are because they don't have front and rear LSD (they all don't but the newer system works a little better), they have EDL which handles the wheelspin (poorly at that) with the brakes. It does have a torsen center diff, which is nice, transfers up to 60/40 to either the front or rear.

And I found out some little sercrets that lie in the digital climate control. I knew about it, but never believed it or tried it... http://www.wak-tt.com/tt/climatecontcodes.htm . The digital speedometer is cool, the digital tach is a little delayed, so kinda worthless

Quoted post[/post]]
As to the Subi/A4 fued...not going to get into it. All I can say is that my wife's car will and has outhandled a WRX with me behind the wheel. Quattro is dubbed the best 4WD system in the world for a reason.

I've also beaten an S4 in the WRX, handling. Yes, he was racing, yes he was driving the car as well as he could. No, he definately wasn't a professional driver.

The quattro system is dubbed the best AWD system in the world because it can send 100% of the power to one wheel, not because it has an uber l337 suspension that will make the car handle like a beast - because it doesn't in all cases.

As I said all along, its all about application.

I'm not saying the A4 is a bad car, but it doesn't suite me for what I want.

If he wants a cruiser than get the A4, but if you want space as well - get the wagon because the sedan doesn't have very much space at all.

From what I've heard from both sides:

A4 for luxury with a small amount of performance, and high daily drivability.

WRX for performance with a small amount of luxury, and medium daily drivability.

I would choose the A4 over the WRX simply because WRX transmissions are known problem areas.

Quoted post[/post]]
From what I've heard from both sides:

A4 for luxury with a small amount of performance, and high daily drivability.

WRX for performance with a small amount of luxury, and medium daily drivability.

I would choose the A4 over the WRX simply because WRX transmissions are known problem areas.

As one subby expert put it, "its really not a problem with the transmission but people who can't drive it."

If you don't grind gears, dump the clutch, and downshift from 5th to 2nd without rev matching, then you won't have any problems.

The problem with the WRX tranny versus the STi tranny is that the gear ratios suck for performance. My friend's '06 STi is maxing first gear out at 20mph, whereas my car can go to like 32mph in first if I rev it out. Like I said, no good for performance but for daily driving, who wants to have to shift through gears like a maniac? I wouldn't care unless I was stuck in NJ traffic, but most would care.

I would say that the Audi is known for just as many bad electrical problems.

I haven't mentioned this yet, since you're looking at newer models but don't buy a '96-'98 A4 if you choose to buy outright and not finance. Basically every magazine and consumer reports, reported major problems with this years and basically labeled the cars lemons and definately not a good used buy.

Battlepope hit the nail on pretty much the top of the head, except personally I would say that the WRX for daily driving is 100% due to its higher reliability but its not a luxury daily driver.

Not saying the WRX doesn't make a fine DD as well - just that the A4 would probably do it a little better due to the added comfort factor.

Mostly because its a Luxury car at that. I really want a 99.5+ mostly because they have the HID's, updated interior, and the optional sport package.

But shit, I don't know if its going to happen until I get rid of my car and that's next week when people come and look at it. Yay.

WRXs, and I'm sure all the diehard guys will agree, are very fatiguing. They shift like dump trucks, the transmission requires 1st-gear-type-finesse shifting in all gears and sunroofs are pretty much non-existent (They are aftermarket)

-> Steve

Quoted post[/post]]
WRXs, and I'm sure all the diehard guys will agree, are very fatiguing. They shift like dump trucks, the transmission requires 1st-gear-type-finesse shifting in all gears and sunroofs are pretty much non-existent (They are aftermarket)

-> Steve

The monroof package can be added by whoever wants to spend the money at the dealer. Its not like they're hard to find, they'll take any car, send it off to an off site shop and have them do the install. My uncle does this kind of work for the dealers and for the police stations gear.

My wrx doesn't shift like a dump truck, but I also never had a stock shifter in the car.

Kartboy short shifter kit, with front and rear bushing, and a momo weighted shift knob. Shifts are short and smooth, easy to shift. First gear sometimes can be harder to shift into but thats a problem thats reserved for only '02 models - i have to feather the clutch and blip the gas on a rare occasion but most cars I've driven are like that.

I've grinded the gears once and that was do to my negligence of talking on the phone, talking to someone in the parking lot, watching for other cars, and not shifting smoothly into reverse. Driving the car forward, I've never grinded a gear and I'm not a pro driver. I've never had any transmission related problems nor did the previous owner but I also saw the way that he drove the car, always rev matching and feathering the clutch not being a bonehead and breaking with the transmission like I see far too many people who drive 5spds doing - including family members who "taught" me how to drive 5spd. :blink:

https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=580651

The monroof package can be added by whoever wants to spend the money at the dealer. Its not like they're hard to find, they'll take any car, send it off to an off site shop and have them do the install. My uncle does this kind of work for the dealers and for the police stations gear

Thus, Aftermarket. And also, you've proven that your specific WRX is sent from the gods anyway, so you're exempt from all WRX complaints for now and forever. Enjoy your status :)

Quoted post[/post]]
https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=580651

The monroof package can be added by whoever wants to spend the money at the dealer. Its not like they're hard to find, they'll take any car, send it off to an off site shop and have them do the install. My uncle does this kind of work for the dealers and for the police stations gear

Thus, Aftermarket. And also, you've proven that your specific WRX is sent from the gods anyway, so you're exempt from all WRX complaints for now and forever. Enjoy your status :)

"The monroof package can be added by whoever wants to spend the money at the dealer." - thus factory.
Half of the "dealer options" you get are from people like my uncle that install them for the dealer. Seat warmers? Leather? Moonroofs?

My uncle has a public business and will do aftermarket sunroofs/moonroofs for those who want it (I've considered it) but I'm talking about from the dealer when the car has 0 miles on it and is brand new.

And no my WRX isn't sent from the gods, it just hasn't been abused like a normal twenty-something moron would normally do. My WRX doesn't shift like a dumptruck probably because of the kartboy kit which most everyone says is a must. I never drove it with the stock shifter so i can't comment on that.

My friends '06 STi doesn't shift like a dumptruck. He says it shifts smooth and its a nice short pattern. Everyone I've ever talked to in person has never heard or thought about the car shifting like a dumptruck, I commented to the previous owner about it probably shifting like a dumptruck when it was stock and he had a confused look on his face and didn't know what I was talking about. My friend that just got an '04 WRX on black friday didn't know what I was talking about. Half of NASIOC.com doesn't know what you're talking about. ...but of course B knows what you're talking about. If there's any flaw with a car, he'll manage to find it and tear it apart.

The only people that I've ever heard of destroying a WRX trans are just the people who you think would. Young guys on my local impreza club have fucked up their trans but I've never heard of a daily driver thats had a destroyed trans - I'm sure there is but its probably not as common. Too bad for those suckers that RA gears cost like $3500 to install and at that point I would have just did a whole damn v7 sti swap for another $3000 after I sold my stock motor.

p.s. find a set of used mounts on NASIOC if your trans mount moving is such a problem - or atleast check to make sure its torqued down properly.

Back