1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new hobby

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by SlushboxTeggy, Aug 30, 2009.

1. SlushboxTeggy

SlushboxTeggy It's only stupid if it doesn't work VIP

Extremely sick of going out to the bar with friends and just sick of drinking in general. I snowboard, surf, etc. But everything I do at the moment is such a production. Either driving to where I need to do it or waiting for the right conditions. I want to learn how to kite board and start mountain biking again but they fall into the same category. And I can only go for so many runs.

I'm looking for something I can do in the garage or living room whenever I feel the urge. Something I can do for just an hour or an entire Saturday. So what do you guys do when you're not on here or working on the cars?

2. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

Lately I've been going through "top 100" lists of movies and picking out the ones I wish I'd seen or looked interesting, then downloading them and watching them from the xbox on TVersity. It's not exercise but I've enjoyed most of them, and have found it a worthwhile experience most of the time.

3. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

come mow my lawn. should take you most of staturday to get here, mow it, and then go home. :)

4. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

If I lived near you I'd mow it for 20 bucks...

Being out of work really sucks.

5. SlushboxTeggy

If I lived closer I might. I'm that bored most of the time.
    I watch far too much TV. I go to the movies a few times every month. Other than wanting to see the 2 Rob Zombie movies I haven't seen, I'm movied out.

6. Briansol

buy a guitar at the pawn shop for 30 bucks and teach your self

7. disableddan

disableddan Crazy Insane

Hell yes! There's nothing more awesome than teaching yourself to play an instrument. I bought a guitar about 3-4 years ago, and learned a bunch of songs from tabs (google "ultimate guitar"). It seems like what you need to complement your more physical hobbies. The only problem is sometimes my back or wrist get sore, then it sucks :p But it's not like your back, wrist, head, neck and other parts aren't sore after a day on the slopes or surf :D

8. FLounder

FLounder power hungry VIP

if you have seen the fishing thread you already know what i do in my free time :)
    fishing can be done for pretty cheap too. kayaking is pretty fun and easy too. just strap it to the roof and go.

9. buttered corn

buttered corn New Member

my two hobbies are dance, international ballroom/social and then MMA.

both are great.

10. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member VIP

Whittling. I am seriously considering picking it up myself actually. For the same reasons more or less, minus the drinking part haha. I want to do something other than play xbox, get online or watch tv. Plus you can make some pretty cool stuff with very little tools. I havnt done anything other than sharpen sticks while camping but it does seem like it would be pretty neat.

11. SlushboxTeggy

Have one. I've tried the clarinet, sax, and guitar. Don't think I'm really all that musically inclined.

And I actually don't surf anymore. Sold the board when I needed cash and haven't had the urge to buy another. Hence wanting to learn to kite board. Then I can do that in the summer or grab the snowboard in the winter and find a snowy field.

IDK, maybe whittling.

12. B16RacerN2NR

B16RacerN2NR Working Hard VIP

I just recently got back into R/C Cars. I'm in the process of rebuilding my Tamiya TA04. Just a suggestion...

13. CRX-YEM

CRX-YEM Super Moderator Moderator VIP

Instead of mountain biking get a road bike. You can ride wherever you want without having to lug the bike there. Just get on and go.

14. HerpsMcDirt

HerpsMcDirt New Member

I agree... get a road bike. Get an old Road bike and fix it up. You're obviously mechanically inclined. I recently purchased a 1976 Schwinn varsity for 5 bucks, put about 50 bucks into converting it to fixed gear, and had fun cleaning it up.

15. invisibledemon

invisibledemon Bored Moderator VIP

photography.

go on craigslist, find some dslr cameras. buy one, have fun.
    do some research and find one that you will like first.

check out the photographers thread, plenty to learn about with cameras and editing.

16. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

I have a number of projects going all the time.. There is always work to be done around the house.. Hobbies, I suppose would be wrenching on the CRX.. I'm always tweaking, repairing, adjusting, installing, or cleaning something on it.

If the day is nice, I'll gear up, hop on the bike and just blast away on an unknown adventure. Sometimes I'll find fun roads, sometimes I'll fine a cool little shop, but I always find something interesting or fun on my rides. I just turn wherever the hell I feel like it and leave the map at home. Its more fun that way. Well, until you ride down a long boring ass road for 25 miles and it turns into dirt.. That one sucked.. Had to U-turn and ride back.

Tinkering. I'm always creating new things, gadgets, tools, etc.. Or modifying existing things. Yesterday I couldn't find my keys to the bike, so instead of looking for them, I made a rockin little key rack.. Piece of wood, sanded down, painted gunmetal, then flat black, then lightly sanded to bring out the gunmetal wood grain with flat black lows.. Then I used stainless screws that I had, that have the box drive heads, kinda unique looking, for the key hooks and mounting screws. I left some threads exposed. Its the most manly key rack you'll ever see! Then after I hung it up, I wandered off, found my keys and put them on it. Now I don't have to hunt around for them anymore.. Moral of the story is, I was bored, and found an opportunity to do something. It was fun and rewarding, even as small a project as it was.

Other than that, I goof around on the intardent, play with the kids, dogs, wife, whatever..

17. Briansol

buy a house. always something to do when you own a house...

18. Cashizslick

Cashizslick !i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!

Gym Time + Online Games + Online Scams + Rush Limbaugh

19. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

just what i was gonna suggest... plus you can hang your own stuff and be like, i shot that .. :D

20. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

start a hobby that will make you some money or has competitions.

build a forum, repair cars on the side, fix computers, take up boxing or muay thai, travel more, go to race events, work as a pit crew.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted