I need a stripper.......

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Moving right along... I've tried everything, and now it to the last resort....Sandblasting. First I tried some old glass beads...it was doing it, but to damn slow, and then I grab an old bag of sand I had a long time, and it was sort of working...then I look at the gun I had, and the ceramic tip inside was blown away....overused....so a quik trip to Sears, picked up a new gun, played with the jets a little...and the paint is coming off...

The day before I got fustrated, and started putting the strip on with a roller and scrapping it off with a long scraper and a new wire brush...it was working, but there are some spoots where the paint acts like it was baked on.

So today, when I ran out of the sand...I called it a day, and jumped on the lawn mower with a beer....and then took some more pics. One bush is at its peak for blossems...so it the main in the photos. The rhoden's are starting to bloom as well.

curbppeal page two.

now to pick up a few more bags of sand this week, and I'll go to town on just blasting the house. Strip and blast...takes some time, but the outcome is looking worth the work.

Did you try a power washer? I know it sounds stupid but at my construction company we have nozzles that will actually etch into concrete. Oh well it is probably too late.

The kitchen is still in fubar state.

Don't own a powerwasher, can't afford one til after I get back from Japan.

and I'll prolly coat the walls with some kind of a clear coat if there is something out there that isn't too glossy.

And a friend at work loaned me his 7hp powerwasher....:ph34r:

I was gonna suggest the sandblaster too, but you shouldn't have used regular sand, even outside it can put dangerous amounts of free silica in the air... And the wind will kick more up into the air around the house for a few days. Sand was actually banned in the 70's from being used in blasters because it's so dangerous. Glass beads just shotpeen surfaces and don't do well for cutting into paint. Coal slag would be best, like Black Beauty or Black magnum. It matches the color of the soil so you won't see it on the ground afterwards, and it has very little free silica to breathe in. I'm blasting my Civic right now, I found a place near me that sells it for $10 per hundred pounds.

Last edited:
2800 psi with the red tip is damn deadly....:ph34r:

but the yellow tip works fine for the paint. I'm definitely buying one of these when I come back from Japan...:D

I got to wait til the rain stops so I can go out and moistent the old paint up with the stripper, and then blast it...this rain sucks.:( But it's helping out my lawn... :D

Just be careful with methods that will blast the paint since some of the paint was probably put on before 1978 and may contain lead. You might not have kids now but so other people's kids and future owners kids dont get sick from playing in the grass.

The red tip will fuck up your siding if you miss the foundation and it will probably groove the foundation.

Last edited:
house was painted in 1993...but the old shingles were put on in 1926, and on the foundation, it all looks like one stubborn coat.

38 Antonio Avenue

And we had various tests done on the radon, paint, and asbestos. The house only failed on the radon levels. So before we closed I had the prior owner install a radon system. And the only thing that has asbestos was the old furnace I replaced when I moved in. And I removed that last fall. For the paint, no noticeable lead levels were found, except on the window frames...and thats going away when I put new windows in. For an old house, 1881-2007, the place is very good. It was a good buy, but to much work for one person with a limited income....if I still want to play with cars. This old house is 126 years old this year....:ph34r:

WElp...the paint on the bricks was just too much of a pain to strip, so I power washed everything I could...refilled in the blown out morter, and painted the foundation. Still some touch up's here and there, and got to toss down a few more bags of topsoil and some grass seed...but it should look pimp when all done.

And I powerwashed the back porch, and below it as well...and adding some paint...it's nice to start off with a clean pallet now..

curbppeal

now lets take a peek of what it used to look like...

aex.jpg

agr.jpg

DSC00261.JPG

DSC00637.JPG

DSC00030.JPG

DSC00055.JPG

DSC00077.JPG

DSC00081.JPG

DSC00084.JPG

very nice. the little things make a big diffrence. looks like you cleaned up the landscaping also. I like that pink bush/tree in the back, do you know what it is?

Back