I need a Vtec tech!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Rdog

Hey everyone,
I got a 90 integra with jdm b16a. Tranny was shot so i swapped in a tranny from a stock integra off of a b18b. I've hooked everything up the way it was...i think. i'm getting know codes from my ecu but my Vtec deosn't work!

I'm wondering if its a speed sensor, or a in gear sensor? ( i thought maybe it has to do with tranny since thats what i swapped out)

It could also be from to low oil pressure, because i did put new pistons and rings in while i had the motor out...but then the engine light should come on right? and could someone tell me how to check the oil pressure?? i've been everywhere in town trying to find a fitting that will thread into that bolt by the vtec solenoid on the front of the head, is there another place i can get oil pressure from?

I'm not sure what else it could be so please help! any suggestions are much appreciated!

You can get a "T" for the back of the block and run an aftermarket oil pressure sensor from there.

The light does not come on until oil pressure is VERY low, so it is possible that you don't have enough oil pressure for VTEC to engage even without the oil light coming on.

You're going to hate that motor and transmission combination. The low torque of the B16 wasn't made for the long gears of the B18B tranny.

yes yes i realize this tranny will slow me down, my future plans include rebuilding the Y1 tranny and running an all motor set up. I did swap high comp pistons in there however and even with this tranny and vtec not working i can pretty much keep up to my buddys b16a2 :)

Matts96HB-thanks for your input. One question tho...can you explain where on the back of the block i can get my oil pressure from? and even if my engine oil pressure is good i could still not be getting the pressure i need at the vtec solenoid right?

okay thanks vtecsir.

Now a few questions about the vtec solenoid. Do all solenoids fit on all generations? mines a jdm b16a first gen.

What is the top part of the solenoid where the one wire runs to? I can buy a million different colors of covers for it but can i replace that part? I had the rest of my solenoid apart and everything looked good.

Why do you need to replace it?

The assembly is one unit, it cant be separated. Its a simple switch basically.

I believe they are all very close to being the same, even the d16z6 will work if Im not mistaken.

o i see, i don't think i need to replace it but i thought if it was just a switch and it wasn't working that would be a cheap place to start.

Try the ground wires that are on the tranny. I blew up my si tranny and got an ls tranny and after I hooked everything up I found that I didn't hook up a ground wire on the tranny. So after reconnecting the wire my jdm b16a had vtec again

Also try the speed sensor. My cable came out of the tranny and every time I tried to accelerate I could hit 4,500 and than 2-step would kick in and I couldn't go any faster. So Im thinking vtec would act the same way only vtec not comin in

ok thanks for that, my speed cable is in, i'm not sure about the sensor but i don't thinkso. I can get it right up to 8000 rpm and i've had it where my speed cable unhooked before, then it only revved till 7000 i think.

Back