I Need answer for my 1989 honda civic si LS-VTEC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LS-VTEC19

Hello!! I have 1989 Honda civic SI hatchback LS-VTEC i'm planing to put t3/t4 Turbo but i'm kinda worried if my engine blow so.. ya can u guys help me please

here my INFo for my car:

Car: 1989 Honda Civic SI

Engine: Ls-Vtec B18A1 (Block) - B16 (Head) -- DOHC 1.8L
-Toda Racing CamShaft
-TYPE R Pistons
-Skunk2 Spring Valve
-AEM Short Cold Intake
-Skunk2 Short Shift 75% Throw
-Traction Control Bar
-3" Piping CatBack
- 4/2/1 Header

Which spec Toda camshaft? Which pistons? ITR or CTR? Was the head ever milled or was the block ever decked? OEM head gasket or aftermarket? If its itr pistons, your compression isnt super high as if it were ctr. You can boost on that bottom end, but keep your boost level low. As for the camshaft, it seems like its an NA camshaft/s. I would personally put in a gsr intake camshaft and run a gsr or b16 exhaust camshaft.

Dunno.. i just bought like this the guy just give me the info he said i cant put the turbo in this car becuz it has high compressor thing dunno so.. ya but my dad said dont believe him becuz he dont know anything lol so.. ya

Well than I doubt there are Toda cams in it. I would pull the valve cover and inspect the camshafts. Contact Toda for a spec. sheet on them. I am sure you can find pic's of the "ends" of the camshafts so you can compare them to stock b16 cams and see if he was full of crap or not. As for the compression, do a compression test. If you get a result of say, '230' or higher, that would usually indicate a high compression situation. Either the head was milled or the pistons were swapped. Most likely, judging by the nut who sold you the car, it is probably a stock ls/vtec.

There are other ways to see if its 'built' just by driving it. He said it has Toda cams.... Toda is famous for their NA cams. You won't see a Toda camshaft want vtec at anything lower than 6500 rpm from my experience with Toda spec B's. If it wants vtec @ 4800-5500, its not a Toda camshaft.

ya but my dad said dont believe him becuz he dont know anything lol so.. ya

It's pretty obvious that you don't know much either. If I were you I'd go and do a lot of reading on Honda engines and turbo setups before you even think about any kind of forced induction...

Just have a reputable tuner shop do it for you. It will cost more but will be done properly. And if things go wrong, the shop can take care of it and in some cases they will cover the charges.

Back