I need help building my B18c1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DC2man17

I have a Gsr right now and its stage two N.A. build. I have full exhaust headers back, intake, intake manifold, chipped p28 and hondata s200, 12:1 compression pistons, and cam shafts. but I really need a tune up.
I wanna build my engine a lot more however i was just given part off a turbo kit by my uncle, garret t3 turbo, custom turbo manifold with waste gate, BOV, intercooler, some metal hoses and 2 gauges. so i would have to buy piping and build my head more but i would have to build it anyway for an N.A. build,.
So I basically dont know which way to go and wondering what you think would be better and what to do next in that process. thanks :cool:

If you turbo, you'll have to constantly tune afterwards. You'd have to really lower that compression (unless you somehow wound up with a cast iron block). Get more volume in the head, put different pistons in (low compression obviously). While you can get a lot more power (less torque though) with a turbo than with a N/A build, there is a lot less hassle and a lot more reliability in a built N/A engine. I guess it's up to you what is more important ^_^

there is a lot less hassle and a lot more reliability in a built N/A engine. I guess it's up to you what is more important ^_^
it really depends on how someone drives, because if you beat the piss out of a car, if it's N/A or FI it's gonna die fast.

its going to cost some money to rebuild the engine you have in order to go turbo. that being said, if i was you and really wanted to go turbo, i would just start working building another engine on the side. when you are done you can sell your old all motor setup to recoup a lot of the cost.

If you turbo, you'll have to constantly tune afterwards. You'd have to really lower that compression (unless you somehow wound up with a cast iron block). Get more volume in the head, put different pistons in (low compression obviously). While you can get a lot more power (less torque though) with a turbo than with a N/A build, there is a lot less hassle and a lot more reliability in a built N/A engine. I guess it's up to you what is more important ^_^

i don't think he knows what he is talking about

actually i am a really good driver... stage 2 6 puck clutch with skunk2 shost shifter. it shifts reeally well. but i think i might just sell the turbo parts i dont know. but i still want some opinions let me know!

wonder how forced induction magically makes less torque.....

that's neither here nor there (nor is your driving ability).

The question you asked was what would be the best thing for you, and the answer to that (of course since im the one saying it, this is just my opinion) question is stroking the b18 out (reuse the pistons). Using the crower 2L kit (95mm stroke 133mm rods) you still get about 11.6:1 compression and more low end torque. Id imagine pairing that with a mildly aggressive cam and a good tune (tow it to your tuner) would end up being an amazing combination.

IIRC you can get the stroke kit for about $2500 with pistons. I think eagle also has a similar kit available that you can buy piece by piece and it comes out a bit cheaper.

cuz with 2500 on the 2L kit i could easily build my engine for a sick turbo set up

thats 2500 on just a stroker kit, then you need bearings and new gaskets from top to bottom. thats a easy $300.

then you will need a tune, you said your running cams so im assuming you have something to tune with (Hondata, Neptune, crome, ect). then you will need new cams or regrind them because, N/A cams have high lift and long duration......a big no no for fi engines. you want high lift and short duration.

so with all that said you will spend 2500 for a stroker kit, 300+ on gaskets and bearings (if using oem), and your looking at several hours on the dyno so you can get a great tune with the most power output without a blown engine.

or just buy a ls and boost that untill it blows.

Back