i need help on my car can anyone please help me on my d16 sohc engine

whats the safe parts for a d-16 sohc engine on a 1996 honda civic?

• any type of parts?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • what kind of turbo could be fitted on?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ULA214

:) please help me on my car.. i just bought here in the philippines.. i noticed its different the honda's in the united states..im just wonderin if my car with an sohc d16 engine has the potential to be put on turbo..? its a 1996 model honda vti..i only have it on stock..i put headers and double scab..it has iridium denso spark plugs and i also have a racing filter k&N and thats about it.. its all stock powered..i could try to show the pics of the engine because i cant really describe it..im just starting to like setting up cars..but i aint got the skill and the knowledge about turbos..im just wonderin wats the best setup with safe boost on a typical sohc engine civic?

Attachments

• 1_496094252l.jpg
    1_496094252l.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 248
  • Image778.jpg
    Image778.jpg
    671.7 KB · Views: 207
  • Image784.jpg
    Image784.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 217
  • 1_799756725l.jpg
    1_799756725l.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 255
Do some reading around the site. People boost on single-cam engines like yours quite frequently, and with pretty decent results. You could reliably make 200 wheel horse with a good quality turbo setup and tune. Like I said, just do some research on it and you'll find the answers you need...

I've heard that there are different types of ECU's for the car? will a different ECU make a difference in my stock cars speed? cause i heard that you could set the ECU to make the engine's vtec go up earlier making acceleration faster? is it true?

There's no such thing as a magic chip that makes acceleration faster.

You don't need to worry about ecu's yet. If you get a different ecu the car will run like shit, and if you just set vtec a little earlier it'll hurt fuel economy more than anything on a stock engine.

The point of chipping your ecu is to put in a programmable chip which enables you to tune and manage your build. You don't need one unless you've got a forced induction set-up (ie. turbo), or a really bad ass all-motor build including cylinder boring, aggressive aftermarket internals, etc. You chip the ecu to tune your engine when you've taken it much further than stock, so you can make everything work in harmony to bring out the fullest potential while also not damaging the engine.

Do a lot of research, this site is full of information. You've already got the basic intake, header, exhaust set-up, now decide for sure what you want to do next. You said turbo, so:

1. Determine if your engine can handle it. Have a compression test and a leakdown test done, if it passes, you're good.
2. Set a power goal. (be realistic now, anything above about 220-230 WHP and you'll need an engine build)
3. If below 230 WHP, decide on a full kit or making the kit yourself (which is cheaper, and there's tons of info on here for it)
If above 230 WHP, do some research and decide what to do to get your engine ready to handle it.
4. Engine management, THE MOST IMPORTANT PART of any build. At the least, get a chip for your ecu. You can get a stand-alone system like AEM for a pretty penny but it's better. And find a good, reputable tuner to tune your engine immediately so you don't blow it up.

Hope that helps some.

thanks so much for giving me some pointers i really appreciate it..im just new with honda's..i bought one myself cause my friends think they're all pocket rockets and all but i said i love my car..and i'd like to show them that it can stay around other cars even though its a really old model..hahaha..im checkin out areas here in the phil where they set up cars..but there are only a few shops that do turbo..other shops here are really expensive when you buy bolt on turbo thats why i really cant afford the other parts just on my allowance..

Back