I need help with my 89 CRX Si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BoostingREX

Hey everybody i need to ask a few questions.OK i have a 89 crx Si that i just bought for 800 it has lots of extras and one of them is a swap.It seems the kid that i bought the car from dropped a D16Z6 in it.But he never connected the vtec so now my question.He seemed to use the crx Si harness but if i'am not wrong this car is a OBD0 and the D16Z6 is OBD1 so i would have to get the right ecu and a correct harness for this right.

My second ?.The car also has another problem that is the dizzy(distributor). The car wont rev past 3500 so he checked the timing and its ok but the dizzy is messed up(our have the CAS bulit into the dizzy).So the kid changed the dizzy and he says now it off by 180* and the car misfires.I dont really know how i can fix that so i would really like someone to try and help me out by telling me want i need to do to fix it this problem.

Oh and i did try the search button but no luck with the second ? so i just posted both thanks alot for any help with this.

yes you need to get a wiring harness adapter
www.rywire.com
www.locashracing.com
either company will hook you up.

you have to have the right ecu (p28)

and the dist. is probily the wrong one, you'll need to check that out and look for a dist for the sohc vtec, more than likley the dist. is the one from you crx and to get it to work correct you need to find top dead center on the motor and line up the dist. to fire on cyl#1

Honda distributors cant be 180 off. There is a notch that they have to fit in and it is the only way they can be mounted correctly. he prolly has the crx dist on and you need teh d16z6 dist.

Yes you can use a a6 dizzy on a z6 head. You have to run a pm6 or pr4 for it to work though. If you use a z6 dizzy with a pm6 or pr4 it won't work. And vice versa. It has different pulse rate or at least this is what I was told.

In order to use the a6 dizzy on the a z6 head the legs will have to be chopped in order for it to fit.

You can use a rpm activator to get your vtec to work.

I just attempted to use a pr4 chipped for vtec but was unable to get the vtec to kick on not sure if it was the computer or how I had it hooked up but it just wouldn't work.

Now I updated to obd1, with self-made conversion harnesses (ecu, dizzy, and vtec/o2).

If that made sense it should get you where you need to go.

You don't need obd1 setup but easier to work with.

-Shane

I have the same set up, I have the 94 SI motor in my 89 CRX DX, I just used the the dizzy from the 89-91 SI with a PM6 ECU, and my stock harness, just had to add the injecter wires and relocate the coolant temp sensor plug and a few other things and the car ran fine. I have VTEC activated with a PR3 now even tho it is dohc cam ecu it works fine, the car hauls ass.

Back