I Need Help !

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sLoWgUy

i need some help ! i going to build a turbo b16a, i have some ideas, but i need some help, its going to be daily driven, so i need realiable info. I want to be able to make about 275 hp at the wheels, think it can be done? As far as the bottom end goes, im going with eagle rods and srp 8.5:1 pistons. The top end is gonna get some porting, along with springs and retainers. I wanted to know if its worth it to go with oversized valves or stay with the stock ones? Most importantly, i need some info on turbo setups? i almost know nothin about turbo, all of the cars i have built so far have been ALL MOTOR so i need some help on the turbo setup. Any advice would help !

your compression is wicked low. you are going to have to run serious boost to make that kind of power with that little compression. look in the low to mid 9's:1... like 9.3

I highly recommend sleeving. while not required, theres a good chance you will blow up if you don't. id say screw the headwork, and use that money on the bottom end instead. swap the b16 cams for some gsr cams. slap on a good turbo setup at 12 psi, and you wil make 275 whp.

i also hghly recommend hondata.

At 275 HP, i still need to sleeve? I didnt think i was going to need it. I also wanted to know what u guys think about the mitsu 18g turbo? I was going to run a hondata ecu, i have heard a lot of good things about hondata. Also the 8.5:1 pistons are too low? The lower the comp. the more boost u need to make numbers? Explain.

haha, u already answered the compression question....i meant to ask for street use the 8.5:1 pistons are too low? Do you know anyone that does sleeving? I live in Southern Cali (San Diego), and their are a couple a shops down here(ARD,Pann Auto, Enginuity), but im not too sure on how good their work is, anyone got any good or bad things to say? Also, what do u think this setup is capable of running in a 94' Civic VX hatch?

"if you are willing to go through with sleeving, b18c1 GE sleeved out to 84mm would own"

Since ur suggjesting sleeving, i have B18b bottom ends laying around, think it would be a good idea to go LS/Vtec Turbo instead of B16a Turbo?

you dont have to sleeve. but, if it was me, i would. Jeffie blew up at 250 whp, bill blew up at 276 whp. jeffie had hondata too. While not required, and you might get away scott free--- theres ALWAYS that chance. to me, its security. 1000 in sleeves, or 600+ for a new short block, 500 for new rods, 500 for new pistons that you broke....
its your choice, and your down time you have to consider.

as for compression- its like this. first read out article on effecitive and static compression... page 3 or 4 in the articles section.. somewhere around there.
more compression = more power. plain and simple.

a stock 1st gen eclipse comes stock with 8.5:1 or so... and also comes stock with 14 psi of boost..... and they are still (relatively) slow for a 14psi car! granted, its a small turbo... but the same turbo on a honda motor at 14 psi is pretty damn fast.

that said, higher compression = higher temps = higher chance of detonation.
which is why i recommend the hondata. tuned up, you won't detonate- and you will in fact make more power.

now compression vs turbo
its a huge debate...
basically its liek this

same car same turbo-- just some random figures for example
11:1 compression with 5 psi
8:1 compression with 10 psi
will make roughly the same power (again, just an example)

10 psi puts mush more stress on a motor than 5
but at the same time
11:1 is way too high for boost (IMO of course), especially for a street car.

9:1-9.5:1 provides a happy medium. use the turbo for power, but don't lag to all hell cuz your motor doesn't have any horse on its own.
higher compression also aids in spooling a turbo.

as you can see, its ALL give and take. YOU have to decide what you want to give, and what you want to take for YOUR car. no one can tell you that but yourself. just educate yourself on the facts first (which is what youre doing)

as for the cams-- gsr cams are perfect for boost... ideal duration, good lift. a turbo cam would be better- but honestly, why spend $700 on a set of cams, when you can get gsr's for $50, have no need for cams gears, and simply turn the boost up 1 psi- which is free. free vs 700 is a big deal to me (even though some consider me a baller! :p )
upgrade the cams as a LAST resort to make more power. once you bosot 27 psi, and your 3 bar map is going out, and you are looking into a speed pro and a 3.5 bar map sensor, THEN its time to get cams.
there's 600 whp cars on stock cams/heads. that shit is for NA loosers :p boost owns them

in your hatch, 275 whp will get you in a high 12/low 13 depending on a lot of things....

High 12's, Low 13's i thought i could do better than that....now that im thinking about it, going turbo is expensive...im very impaitiant, and it would take a me a little while to build the car. The way it sounds u dont like all motor setups...but i dont think my budget is ready for turbo...but i want it sooo bad !! haha i cant help it, i wanna go fast.

if you have ls blocks... fuck it.
fuck vtec
fuck building them

boost the shit out of them until the blow... replace with the next one you have lying around

Back