I need help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Glen

I new to the whole Honda thing but I have ran into a problem. I have a zc sohc from a 89-91 civic/crx that I'm wanting to put in my 95 civic. I have purchased a pm6 obd0 ecu and a wiring harness for the motor. Now I can't figure out how the harness plugs into the ecu and how it hooks up to the motor. If anybody has any answers or ideas please let me know. I really need help.

Just use a P06 ecu and you will need to use a intake from a 95 1.6 or 1.5. You will need to use the 95 wiring harness and distributor also and I think you will need to extend the water temp wire down to the back of the block. On the 95 model it is on the thermostat housing, or you can just change the T-stat housing.. and leave the old sensor on the back of the block...

95 Civic Motor Swap

I'm having a problem doin a motor swap. I traded my bike for a 1995 Honda Civic with a dohc zc non vtec motor, with a homeaide turbo. When the guy brought the car to me he said all it needed was to be computer tuned. Not really thinking anything of it I wanted to hear the car run, so I started it. There was some blueish smoke coming off the manifold. So I decided to change the oil and there was gas in the oil pan. Not knowing what had caused this I decided to do a motor swap and went with a zc sohc non vtec motor. After I pulled the old one and put the new one in none of the wiring matched up. So I done some research and found out that the ecu didn't match the sohc motor, so I purchased a new pm6 obd0 ecu and the correct wiring harness for the sohc motor. Now I have know idea how to hook anything up to the motor and the wiring harness doesn't plug into the ecu. I THINK I HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG. SO SOMEBODY PLEASE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

I have purchased a new harness that fits the new motor because the old harness in the engine bay didn't hook up the the fuel injectors and a few other things. So how do I get the new harness to fit the po6 ecu?

Get some injectors from a 92-95 civic, use a harness from a 92-95 civic lx or ex. Or you can get a obd1 to obd0 adapter for the ecu if they make them..

How do I hook up a P06 ecu to the engine harness on a 1989-91 civic/crx sohc motor? I purchased a new engine harness to fit the motor and done some research on the web and got the right ecu. Now the harness wont hook up to the ecu.

The ecu doesn't plug into the engine harness, it plugs in inside the car down on the passenger floor board.

pic008_large.jpg

open the passenger door pull down the carpet from under the glove box and the ecu will be up against the side of the car. The harness goes on the motor...

Man I'm tellin you I'm really new to this kind of stuff. I checked out where the old ecu is an compared it to the new one I bought and the plugs don't match up. So am I just screwed or just doin something wrong?

Man I'm tellin you I'm really new to this kind of stuff. I checked out where the old ecu is an compared it to the new one I bought and the plugs don't match up. So am I just screwed or just doin something wrong?

What does the ecu you bought say on the side of it.. should be pm6 or p06..

Ok the pm6 will not work in a obd1 car without a jumper harness you need a p06 to plug right in. I thought I had a p06 but its a p05 without a case... go to a junkyard find a civic with a d16 in it and it will have the p06. If it has a 1.5 in it it will be a p05 ecu..

Yea I understand that but how do I get the engine harness to plug into the car

You can mate the current SOHC ZC harness and a 92-95 civic harness (like the one for the P06 ECU) to make it work.....but the truth is that there are a bunch of ways to get it done with a variety of parts but they can all be a little involved. I would say this is way too much for you but I am guessing this is your only option (putting an older motor in a newer car)

Long and short of it.....you need to either customize an engine harness or you need to get some obd1 parts (spend money) to make it work

Edit: It had a DOHC ZC in it when you bought the car....where is that harness? What ECU was in the car when it was running?

Last edited:
Would it be ok to customize the new harness to fit the p06? And if so what would recommend doing?

Im sorry not the ecu but wherever the engine harness plugs in at

Thats why you need to mate two harnesses together. The OBD1 harness plugs into the shock tower plugs (this plugs that lead into the cabin) but on the other side of the OBD1 harness like the fuel injectors, distributor, (and maybe the alternator, MAP sensor, etc) will not match the plugs on an OBD0 motor. You have quite the situation (that I would not take on lol) and you have little Honda experience.

Please answer my questions in my last post.

Back