i need info

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lowandslow

ok, my friend gave me his credit card and told me to buy anything i needed for a turbo kit...i pieced together one on ebay for under 600, heres what i got

the turbo is a IHI RHB5 w/manifold..comes with all oil lines
450cc dsm injectors
BOV and manual boost controller
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33742

also i found a charge piping kit and a down pipe/flex pipe

i dont know much about turbos and im wondering what else i need? im not going to boost much, 4-6 lbs probably, i dont wanna blow my motor up i only need for the summer, then im getting rid of it.

are these basics that i need to put it on and get it running??

thanks a bunch to anyone who replies :)

gaskets, and 440cc injectors aren't going to do much good unless you have some way of controlling them- great, they can flow 440cc but they are still in a stock fuel rail, with a stock fpr and stock fuel pump- if you're going to boost low i'd look around for an SAFC, i think chris (turbomirage) had one a little while ago- fuel management is going to be your main concern though- there are a hundred different ways to get that turbo hanging off of your motor, but for you budget you're going to have to find the right way to get proper fuel and get some dyno time/ tuning done

*edit* your friend told you to use his money to buy a turbo setup and this is the best you could do?

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Apr 20 2004, 03:41 PM
*edit* your friend told you to use his money to buy a turbo setup and this is the best you could do?

well, im borrowing the money temporarily..i have to pay it back soon so im trying to spend as though i had the cash

and thank you for the help, im looking into fuel management right now

s/vafc and a fuel pump, add an intercooler, and you're ready to go.
that turbo looks in real good shape.

i'd say 350 would be as high as i go... but if you want, feel free to go higher

yea, theres 10 minutes left now...im gonna max bid at 350 see if i can pick it up, and if anyone has a s-afc and/or fuel pump that would be nice :D

thanks for the input as well, it helps me out a lot

OUTBID damn that guy...im too slow on the bid ahaha

ok, i have a couple more noob questions...
im either getting a full greddy kit..nice find on ebay, or a 90% complete DIY kit

my questions are...
-tapping the oil pan...is this the only way to get a oil return to the trubo? if it is, where abouts on the oil pan is the best place to be tapped?
-are running the return and vacumm lines difficult?

me and my father would be tackling this in a well lit, warm garage; with concentrated/dilligent work with more than novice knowledge, how long can i expect this to take? im totally new new to this and any info and replies would be very very very helpful. thanks to anyone
:D

you want to tap the pan as HIGH as possible in a place that allows the oil to flow in above the 'storage' and fall in- not have to push through the "underwater" oil. right in front is a good place. remember, its only gravity taking the return oil down.

if you don't want to tap it, spend the $350+ on a moroso that has buil in tapped 1/2" NPT fittings :)

running vac lines is pie- its just confusing. i highly recommend a vacuum manifold. it make my life so much easier.

basically, you tap off the brake booster, and run all yrou lines from there. no stupid T's everwhere.

DSC00583.JPG

thank you :)

i dont have a problem tapping the pan..now i know where
(just to clarify, in the pic is that the moroso unit or the vacuum manifold?)

keep ANY info or helpful do's and dont's that come to mind, i need your guy's help. am i overcomplicating this to myself by all these questions?

Originally posted by lowandslow@Apr 21 2004, 04:47 PM
thank you :)

i dont have a problem tapping the pan..now i know where
(just to clarify, in the pic is that the moroso unit or the vacuum manifold?)

keep ANY info or helpful do's and dont's that come to mind, i need your guy's help. am i overcomplicating this to myself by all these questions?

:eek: That's the Vacuum manifold. Your oil pan is under your engine block.

haha i know where the oil pan is...im thinking too much into this, i totally read thru that..i even read over a few times too <_<

no flames please haha im not retarded

how much does a vacuum manifold go for..i tried ebay just got a bunch of fittings and odds and ends, no unit

Originally posted by lowandslow@Apr 20 2004, 01:27 PM
the turbo is a IHI RHB5 w/manifold..comes with all oil lines

ughhh.. i wouldnt have spent a dime on that turbo. not saying it wont work its just a bitch trying to find out any spec's on it or even a compressor map. not many people are using these turbo's for aftermarket mods as far as i know and prob for a good reason. if it works for what you need than great man.

heres my $.02 now go buy a different turbo... :p

in the turbo 101 that loco honkey posted, he stated that these turbos work perfectly on d series motors. i found a 90% complete kit with this turbo, so i thought it would be worth my time. still debating on getting, seems how i dont know that much about installing, and no one around my area has the knowledge either. hanyway..some encouraging words would help my decision. i really really want some boost.....

Back