i need new cams

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rex187

alright im having a problem choosing which cams i want to use for my b16 thats in my rex. i was thinking about going with buddy club spec 4 cames with p1 valves, springs and retainers. i just want to know if any one has tryed out the spec4's and if ther worth my time and money or not. also what kind of internal mods must be done to put them in? my big question is wich cams are better buddy club spe3+,spec4,spec5, spoon,toda,jun or a pair of ctr or irt cams. my goal is to build a all motor setup with about 275whp

I think if you're looking for 275 hp on a b16 you should start looking at turbos. I don't even know if there is a 275 whp N/A b16 in existance.

switch blocks....get high CR pistons and some skunk2 pro cams....and you are no where near 275whp....NA

get a t3...250 is easy on the b16

NA is the expensive way to go slow....but its cool to see fast as NA builds.....but those are now done with K engines...i would build a little kit and tune....youll be happy

you beat me to it...swanny

alright well if 275 is no go. then illl just have to go with atlease 250hp. should i be able to get at least 250 with cams, valves,springs,spoon 1800cc stroker, port n polish, injectors, msd, header, and then maybe some higher cp pistions(i think spoon stoker cp is 11.3:1) and some hardcore tunning also.

if you want 250 hp, look into at least 12.5-13:1 compression. you are also gonna need some wicked cams, like rocket cams. i dont know if you will be able to do 250 even on a b16. you really need to get a 1.8l block and bore it out to about 85mm for something at leaast 2L. Tbone made 255 with a 85mm gsr block (maybe it was LS i cant remember) RLZ headwork ($$$$) and rocket cams, and tons of other stuff. i just dont see it happening on b16 block.

well this sucks i guess... so i take it that the first gen b16 is kinda a crappy motor to upgrade on then.

not at all, 250 275hp all motor is just an unrealistic goal. theres guys struggling with it with motors that have way more work and more displacement.

i just really want about atleast 250. that dosent mean that i wont settel with 200+. which i should hit with atleast the spoon 1800cc and upgraded valvetrain? right

you can try to do what omniman did= ~200whp on a stock bottom b16(i think like 198whp on trackmaster's dyno); crzy headwork and revs, high-end i/h/e, etc. etc.

Quoted post[/post]]
switch blocks....get high CR pistons and some skunk2 pro cams....and you are no where near 275whp....NA

get a t3...250 is easy on the b16

NA is the expensive way to go slow....but its cool to see fast as NA builds.....but those are now done with K engines...i would build a little kit and tune....youll be happy

you beat me to it...swanny

I love when people say N/A is the expensive way to go slow hahahahaha.
I agree though my friend has a built LS/VTEC and he is at about 210 to the wheel, he is using the Endyn pistons though I think his CR is 11.4:1.

see here the deal with the car/motor im wanting to try and get in the the NASA honda challange. i just hope that i can get atleast 200 out of it. i just need more power than i have 140 to the wheels isnt that impressive. i just think that 200hp would be alright with pulling a rex with full cage and other stuff.

no i havnt put much reserch in to this yet im just getting started

Oh also you will want to match the cams with your pistons so basically don't get stage 4 cams with 10:1 compression you will be way over cammed trust me I know from experience. If you get higher than a stage 1 cam you will want to get some dual valve springs & titanium retainers.

the stoker is i think 1195 from spoons US branch and has a cp of 11.3:1

i was thinking about going with maybe buddy club valves,valve springs and titanium retainers. but toda,spoon and jun all make valve springs. as far as retainers go thers like 5 or 6 companys that have titainum retainers

has anyone ever heard of a jun's "short" engine? because i found this place online that has jun short engines stages1-4 b16,b16b and b18c-r that range in prices of 7,900 to 15,000 and range in hp from 200 to 250

if you want to run honda challenge you have to run a stock bottom end. STOCK, no stroker, no sleeving/overboring more then.040" no aftermarket pistons, no aftermarket rods, NOTHING. the only thing you are allowed to change is the fasteners like ARP rod bolts/main studs/head studs/ etc. read the rules

i thought that was only is for the H1-H5 classes. i thought that in the HU class you can have anymods but not N02

but it dosent really state what you can and cant do in the HU class. i know that it just says that any modification and/or parts replacement to a "honda/acura based"engine performance is premittied. .

hmm, i never heard of HU, i thought it was only H1-H5 H1 being the hybrid class. lemme look at the rule book again.

i have a copys of the nasa ccr, honda challange and the enduro rules

look in section 10.1.2 HU engine preparation

hmm, looks like you are correct. i never saw the part about the HU class. the rules are very vague for that section though. but it looks like you can do just about anything.

Back