I need some advice.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

msbre25

Hi, its me Breanna and I have a 91 Accord and I want to put in a H22a motor with a T4 turbo. I wish to make this car a sleeper. I want to do some of the work myself or it wont be worth it. I have no idea what to do first besides go buy the engine and turbo. Yes I do plan on getting help. Can anyone help me with some ideads on what to do first and how to do some of the swapping of the motors.

Thanks ;)

h22 swaps are the biggest pain in the ass, for me anyways. there is a list floating around here somewhere for everything you need.

motor, tranny, axles, linkage, mounts, blah blah blah.

if i was you, i would first set a horsepower goal or a 1/4 mile time. some sort of goal. next, set a budget. thats the easiest way for you to get started and will give us an idea of what you have to work with. next, let us know your mechanical abilities and we'll tell you where you can save on labor.

good luck and keep us updated. oh yeah, post some pics of the project to.

EDIT: boo private myspace pages.

Last edited:
Heres a great link to get some research done .

Jdm h22a into 4th gen EX/LX/DX 90-93 [COMPLETE] - Accordingly Done

Like nick said. Set a goal first and a budget.

Going to be hard to boost a H22 without some machine work done to the clyinders. H22's have FMP sleeves which are not boost friendly. Because of the coating they have and will wear under high tempertures and is the number one cause of broken ring lands. So add 800-1300 for sleeves is your wanting to boost over 7-9 psi.

For a t4 turbo your going to need to get sleeved.

Get back with us and give us your goal and I am sure the people here can give you GOOD advise.

I do have my brother helping me with the swap. He is a technician at a Nissan dealership. My own personal mechanical educations is only what I have to do to keep my car running like oil changes and minor minor stuff like that. My budget is going to be about $8000. The hp that I want to get to is about 285.

well with 8k ... There is no reason why you couldnt see alot more than 285.

Is there a perticular reason why you want a H22 swap. You could take the 8k and build the bottom end of your f22 . Boost that and see 400 whp . And spend less . Alot less if you ask me .

Well the 8k also includes paint job tires and wheels, darker tint, and alarm system, oh and possibly a upgraded cd player but not sure about that one yet

I want to do the h22 swap because I was asking my brother what motor to put in and he suggested that one and one other but said this one he would like better.

SO whats the plan for the car. 8k is alot to just use it for a DD. Going to race it ? 285hp isnt enough for that. Especailly in a boosted class. Show car ??

Either swap the Jdm f20b. h22a. H23a. Good luck on the build. Post some pics and I want to see that H22 with a t4. All stock internals. Lets see how long the motor last.

This is going to sound stupid but what is DD.

When I swap the engine i am also going to upgrade everything else. I didnt think that the stock parts would work well with a new motor that would just be a waist of money if I did that. I can post pics of the car later but as far as the h22a goes and the t4 i havnt bought them yet i am waiting on my brother but I am trying to get everything else that i need also at the same time.

DD is daily driver.

if this is going to be a project car, you should just buy a bare h22 block and put it on an engine stand and build it right.

if you want this car going soon, swap the h22 and get a good turbo kit. you will get to your power goals. the key is to have it tuned by professionals. that is the directly related to reliability. 285 on a stock h22 is easy.

just remember that you are investing a lot of money into a car that wont hold much value.

Well it may just be a project car. I know that the car is worth nothing. It is a lot of money but then again it is like my baby and I dont plan on getting rid of her any time soon. My brother can do a lot of the work with me he is a professional now if I do it on the engine stand then I would just put it together slowly and then swap it out when it is complete?

yeah, you would swap it when you are done. that way you can still drive it for a while and you can built the engine completely from top to bottom and not rush anything. good luck. post some pics.

Back