i need some advise, anyone got some spare time?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

e101

hey everyone im thinking about getting a honda and doing an engine swap, but i have no idea what to do, i mean with choosing the car and knowing what engine is easyestly compadable for the car i would get, i also cant make up my mind if i should go with a naturally asparated car or if i should go turbo?? i could use some help, thanks alot

eric......

but a 96 civix CX hatch and spend allot of time reading, nobody other then you will know what you want to do and even you won't know what you want to do untiil you learn, so learn I say

the 96 civic hatch would be what i would chose,,it will be the same motor bay as a 96-00 civc 2 or 4 door by far the easiest engine bay to work with

How much money do you have to spend total?
How much power do you want?
Are you going to use this car for DD, auto-x, or drag racing?
How much mechanical know how do you have?

If you answer these questions, it will be easier to help you.

How much money do you have to spend total?
How much power do you want?
Are you going to use this car for DD, auto-x, or drag racing?
How much mechanical know how do you have?

If you answer these questions, it will be easier to help you.

werd.

budget and goals + knowledge and access to tools = guidance

well im looking for a dayley driver that has some potential and somthing i can biuld up, i want somthing fast, faster then my car now(a 95 saturn sc2 with a monza exaust and a greddy clutch), i can spend around 3grand on the car and and around 2 grand onthe engine/trany, i can do alot of engine work, i just recently helped my buddy do a 350 engine swap on a s 10, and when my other friend told me about honda engine swaps it sounded awwsome, so i guess you could say i have alot of mechanical experience.

Last edited:
Or you could just find a cheap 92-95 hatch or coupe. That should be anywhere from $500-1500 depending on condition.

Do you want the car to have the potential for 400+whp, or would you be content with something like 200whp?

If you just want a quick car, find a d16z6 and do a junkyard turbo setup. The car wont be super fast, maybe get mid 14's if you are a good driver.

But like B said, if you want to do it right and not have to cut corners to stay within your budget, you should save up a couple grand more just for a safety net.

yeah, only you can know the direction that you want to go.

personally im a friend of naturally aspirated engines. ill go turbo, but if i had my way id be driving a 250whp all motor prelude right now.

The cost of that build is a lot more expensive than a 250whp turbo build, but i get the satisfaction of knowing that i have accomplished my goals.

Sadly life has kicked me out of that dream, but hey, you do what you gotta do.

best bang per $ IMO is a cheap civic shell (can be had for for under $2000) and then you can go with a b16 (another $2,000 or so).

Thats my opinion, but you get a decently quick civic for about 4 grand.

i kinda want somthing i can build up to run mid 12's, i dont need anything like that right away, i would spend some time biulding it up , i am a big fan of turbo, i was thinking of getting a honda civic dx and droping a 1.9l acura engine in there, and then jus swap a couple parts from the type r engine in time. thanks again for the advise i really apriciate it

To date, the fastest car I've owned was a 14 second car.. it was my 73 Formula 4 speed.

and yeah, 12 seconds is a lofty goal. Possible - but tough as hell.

if you like turbo and like tinkering with things your "most fun" investment will be a civic with a MPFI d series and a custom turbo setup

12 seconds, fuck no
fun as shit, definateyl
and then go from there

For 12's, it will take money, lots of money, to do it the right way. My guess would be in the $8-10k range.
92-95 cx hatch
Cage with harness and seat(this is optional but recommended)
LS engine mated to a B16 trans.
Better suspension and tires w/light rims
Upgraded brakes
Last but not least: all the turbo goodies, and tuning

Where you will be able to save the most is the turbo kit. The reason I said LS is so you can keep costs down, have more tq, and it will also be easier to tune, IMO.

just put a h22a in thereand mod it alot and you will hit 12s

You don't have to mod an H22 very much to get into the 12's. Just swapping it in a hatch will get you 13's. An I/H/E combo with a 50shot will get you into the 12's with an H22.

This is a very hard and expensive swap to do unless you have done it a few times. Not to mention your engine bay will look like shit and the car will be harder to turn.

well i have one in my 96 hatch, easy to me but im a old pro lol, but it will cost about 2500 to get her in there and going,

thanks for the help, i think i was being a little ignerant when i said 12's, i know this is prolly the wrong place to say this, but im thinkin bout getting a toyota mr2, andgetting another engine and buildin that one up, strapping a 16g turbo on it, an all that.. but anyways thanks again for the help, my buddy chris h was a member and he said this was the place to go if i needed help/advice, i was kindof worried there was gonna be abunch of ricers with fart cans on there moms dx, but i was wrong.. thanks again

Welp...FWIW...grab an old CRX HF shell, 86 HF, drop a tiny turbo, and HF gears, sticky tires, small rims, and a 50 shot, and it might make it in the 12's...but the MR2 will be a little harder unless your dropping in a 20 valve 4age, and have an SC or turbo. Light is light, but the lighter the car, small the wheels, lighter tires, and minor upgrade's here and there...both would be competitive.. Stock 87 CRX did 17's, I got mine to 15 with blown rings and some minor engine work, I know the turbo I put on it years ago prolly dropped it in the 13's, with the cheap PG LSD...but it was still over weight...by the driver and tires..

Meh...if I ever get mine back together, I'll have better info to throw at ya.

Just keep posting since you know were not a fart can haven here....

Back