I need to hold my breath here...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

totalburnout

VIP
Alright, well I'll be holding my breath and might keel over and die (oh the joyous day for many of you!) until my insurance check arrives.

The insurance adjuster just came to my house and gave me an estimate for the deer damage done to the front end of the WRX for $3761.61, less my $100 deductible, so a check for $3661.61 should be arriving in the mail shortly.

The reason why I'm holding my breath is that I'm hoping the check doesn't need to be co-signed by a repair company. If the check, like in the past (although, insurance companies are operating very differently now and are virtually eliminating adjusters and making repair companies act as an adjuster to eliminate insurance fraud) is made out to myself I'll be able to go buy the carbon fiber hood for my car that I want.

The estimate included over $600 for left and right headlamps and I already have a spare set of stockers sitting in my basement, so I just pocketed $600 right there. Add in the money that will be pocketed as a result of the carbon fiber hood not needing to be painted and having the fenders blended like a stocker would along with not having the need for another stock grill ($150) and there's easily over a $1000 of money left over.

With that money, if all goes well, I'll probably have the small imperfections of the car fixed - it was keyed on the rear quarterpanel before I got it and has about 7 tiny, tiny door dings on the rear door AND then hopefully have money left over for parts.

Quoted post[/post]]
the check will be made out to the person that owns the car...
Werd, if the insurance company calls you and asks "did you set up a repair shop yet?" blah blah, just tell them no, and they by law (in az) only have 4 weeks to mail your check.
My GF got $966 or some shit around there, for a smashed fender.
They also noticed some scratches on her mirror, and bumper and paid for "custom wheel FDriver".
So far, i've spent $50 on the fender, and she will just get the whole car painted after i put it on.
$fender+paint=$600.
$fender+maaco=$299. :laugh:

Quoted post[/post]]

The person that owns the car is both myself and the bank.

I didn't tell them that I had a shop look at the car, because then they would have wanted to make the check out to myself and the shop - atleast according to the guy who runs the shop and acts in place of an adjuster for all their insurance work.

Hopefully I'm set. Basically I just want the check, my name on it, to cash it. Supply my own hood and headlights (although he said the brackets were broken, my headlights work just fine even though I have a second set of perfect stockers), have the a/c condenser thats busted replaced with an AEM one, have the busted radiator replaced with an AEM one guaranteed for life, upper radiator suppert repaired and then be set.

If I were to do all the work then it would probably be a $1400 job. ($350 radiator, $350 a/c condenser, $700 for carbon fiber hood with tein dampers and hood pins.)

I'm no shade tree mechanic and I don't know how difficult the job is going to be but I don't think it would be a very difficult job.

when i totalled my civic i got the $3900 made out to just myself, and the bank had a lien on it.

Quoted post[/post]]
when i totalled my civic i got the $3900 made out to just myself, and the bank had a lien on it.

Thats what has always happened in the past, but I've never caused an accident or been in a deer accident before. It was always other people's insurance companies sending the check, rather than my own. I've also never owned a car with a lien on it, until the WRX.

Best case scenario is that the check is written out solely to myself and I have no need for a co-signer or any obligation to a local repair shop.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
The person that owns the car is both myself and the bank.

YOU own the car. The bank just has the right to take away the car if you don't pay what they want. The check will be made out to you, not the bank or any repair shop. It's yours to do with as you please... but you're supposed to use it to fix the car.

I have had situations happen where the check was made out to me, and others where the check was made out to me and the body shop. I do not have to worry now because my brother is auto body certified so all checks will fully go to me.

Back