I Quit my freaking job today!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Good to hear it, phyregod. I, on the other hand, have not been so fortunate. Everywhere I have applied informs me of rejection by letter. Why? 'Failed background check.' Thanks to that 10,000 dollar mistake I made one night, I will have a harder time getting a job than a crack addict. Seriously.

at least you got a letter.... i've never gotten one of those. usually you jsut never hear from them again

Good for you! Trying to find a job you like, that also pays good is pretty difficult.
-Worked at a RadioShack during college, decent pay at the time and for being in college, good people, made you feel good by giving lots of incentives, would work again as a last resort because of recent pay cutbacks.
-Next job, pay not great for my position, good people, horrible boss. But, it's what gave me my experience, so I stuck in for awhile, would work for them again.
-Took a job to move to NC, great pay, great boss, great people, horrible hours, would work for them again.
-Took another job in NC, best pay yet, people not great, too much overnight travel, sub-standard practices, never see the boss. Will never work for them again unless its the last company on earth.
-Moving back north.

Kept the other businesses names blank for confidentiality reasons.

bartending or waitering is usually decent money. good fall back jobs

So, City just called, they are interested in making me a light equipment operator 2, which makes a whopping $75 more per month than 1. But, he says he has three positions open, 1, 2, and a hybrid 1&2.. My interview is monday. Even better, I needed a class B license to operate such machinery and am lacking, but have been studying up to take the written test. (driving test requires a class B vehicle.. I don't have one of those laying around) I wrote that down on the resume, and the guy said not to worry about it, and that the city would not only pay for my training, but also my licensing, and provide a class B vehicle to take the driving test in. Score!

Looks like the first two weeks, i'm going to get to play with a backhoe in a fence! Look out china!

Anyway, I'm off to sling pizza!

Have a great day, folks!

If you are okay with really busting your ass check out concrete finishing. Call all of the ready mix companies in town speak to there salesmen and find out what crews do the best work and apply with them. May be a long shot but I know concrete finishers around here work any where from 5 to 12 hours a day but make damn good money. work is kinda hit and miss some times though. Good luck man!

Thats the thing, I have no will to do hard core manual labor. Which is why I want to be a driver and / or operator. I like driving, I like playing with machinery. What I don't like is operating a shovel. I've done concrete before. Everything is stupid heavy and uber dirty. Good money, but breaks your back. I'm still young, but I plan on being able to walk after I'm retired.

Don't wear out your body folks, you only get one!!

So, I applied to the city for that equipment operator position.. Bad news all the way.

I sit down at the interview, and the guy tosses a piece of paper at me, it has the job description for "Laborer I". I laughed, shoved it back at him, and told him that I was there for the equipment operator position. He tries to tell me that this labor position is a stepping stone to the equipment operator position.. And that they would still be paying for my CDL. The catch is, I'd have to shovel shit (literally) and do a good job at it for a year. I'd be the low man laborer for 6 months, doing hard labor and be on call 24/7. He tells me that there have been times that his guys have worked 24 hours a day for 4 days straight.

This is beginning to sound alot like hell. After 6 months, they would kick me up to laborer II! That would get me a free set of rubber boots and a $75/month pay raise, and I'd be right back down in the hole shoveling shit again. So, I ask him if there is light at the end of the tunnel. Of course there is.. After a full year, they'd review my performance and send me to school to get my CDL. Then, I'd become an equipment operator. But there is a catch. City Equipment operators shovel shit 80% of the time, operate the equipment 20% of the time.

So, I stood up, smiled, shook their hands and thanked them for the interview, and walked out the door. I didn't tell them no, but I didn't tell them yes. I shuddered as I walked out of the place.

Back to the drawing board.

Fire Fighter School!

I kinda narrowed it down to 2 jobs from all the offers I got, seems every offer that offered good money (60,000 or more) invloved me commuting to that city that other girl I posted up lives in, Got an offer from Sprint for 28,000 a year plus bonuses and comission which I can live with. They want me to start as soon as my background & drug test come back. Had another interview with an insurance agency today, American Income Life, earning potential of 80,000 + a year, but it's all comission. Based on what I sell and how much employees under me sell

I kinda narrowed it down to 2 jobs from all the offers I got, seems every offer that offered good money (60,000 or more) invloved me commuting to that city that other girl I posted up lives in, Got an offer from Sprint for 28,000 a year plus bonuses and comission which I can live with. They want me to start as soon as my background & drug test come back. Had another interview with an insurance agency today, American Income Life, earning potential of 80,000 + a year, but it's all comission. Based on what I sell and how much employees under me sell

That potential $80,000 isn't in the first year. I work for the highest ranked life insurance company in the industry and third year salary is on average $82,xxx but thats if you make it to the third year because its an industry where many, many people fail. Also stay the fuck away from a company that your compensation is based on "the people under you", thats the definition of a pyramid scheme. My housemate got himself into a pyramid scheme with someone from PrimAmerica - did not end well.

I tell you this so you take those numbers with a grain of salt and don't have delusions of grandeur. I know when I walked in I was thinking this is amazing but when you see how difficult it is and how many people fail, then you begin to realize that the ones who are successful become very successful but most others fail.

If someone offered you a salaried $60,000 and not a projected total compensation after commission then, in my eyes, you're foolish for passing up the offer. If it was $60,000 after commission then thats a different story but to be flat salaried at $60k, especially if its an easy job, is a blessing.

Personally, I'll take the $35-$40k base with unlimited earning potential from commission, simply because its the career field I have wanted to go into all my life - but its certainly not easy.

That potential $80,000 isn't in the first year. I work for the highest ranked life insurance company in the industry and third year salary is on average $82,xxx but thats if you make it to the third year because its an industry where many, many people fail. Also stay the fuck away from a company that your compensation is based on "the people under you", thats the definition of a pyramid scheme. My housemate got himself into a pyramid scheme with someone from PrimAmerica - did not end well.

I tell you this so you take those numbers with a grain of salt and don't have delusions of grandeur. I know when I walked in I was thinking this is amazing but when you see how difficult it is and how many people fail, then you begin to realize that the ones who are successful become very successful but most others fail.

If someone offered you a salaried $60,000 and not a projected total compensation after commission then, in my eyes, you're foolish for passing up the offer. If it was $60,000 after commission then thats a different story but to be flat salaried at $60k, especially if its an easy job, is a blessing.

Personally, I'll take the $35-$40k base with unlimited earning potential from commission, simply because its the career field I have wanted to go into all my life - but its certainly not easy.
Yea, the tell you up front they have a retention percentage of only 20%. But supposedly the guy I interviewed with today who's the District or Regional manager made 118,000 his 1st year and a half and his elad manager made 75k in his 1st 8 months, but I"m not to keen on the idea of not having a set salary. If they had the set salary plus commision I would've signed on today. Reason I didn't take the 60k + range jobs is cause I would more than likely end up moving to Santa Fe which means I'd be living with the shawty up there until I got my own place, and that wouldn't go over to good with my baby momma. Reason I'd move up there, is too many miles going on my motor

Yea, the tell you up front they have a retention percentage of only 20%. But supposedly the guy I interviewed with today who's the District or Regional manager made 118,000 his 1st year and a half and his elad manager made 75k in his 1st 8 months, but I"m not to keen on the idea of not having a set salary. If they had the set salary plus commision I would've signed on today. Reason I didn't take the 60k + range jobs is cause I would more than likely end up moving to Santa Fe which means I'd be living with the shawty up there until I got my own place, and that wouldn't go over to good with my baby momma. Reason I'd move up there, is too many miles going on my motor

If its salaried $60k, you can afford to put the mileage on your car and you can afford to spend the time to travel...

The cost of living in your area is no where near what it is by myself and $60k for two people and a small child goes a long way here, it would go even further in your neck of the woods.

There are some huge success stories in the insurance industry but thats normally from landing a single large deal with an outlandish premium. One of the interns in the office was top ten in the nation with 15sales on the books, while the number one guy had 50+, the number ten billed almost as much in premium over those 15 sales in comparison with the number one guy who had 50+ sales.

Basically when they tell you how great it is they're telling you the success stories and leaving off the majority of the stories which are failures.

I'm just trying to inform you so you don't have smoke blown up your ass.

I'm not quite sure if I'm going to roll over with my company next year and take the $6k bonus they'll offer me if I convert - I may just leave the financial arena and move to an industry where I have a greater passion.

Back