I quit my job..... such a bad time

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

boostedf22

dis is why im not
Well lets see, I have been working for the same company for 3 years. These jokers have been under paying me for my trade the whole ride. I got 2 raises the whole time and here at the last few months they started throwing all this responsibility on me. One being that I was now a supervisor for the company and had 3-4 guys a day(depending on how many drunks got out of bed that morning). I was the only one w/ a driver license so I got a company truck and I was told it was my responsibility to pick up the employees at their house and drop them off in the afternoon. I didn't have a problem with it at first, until I found out I was not being paid for the ride back from UVA.(1 1/2 hours drive from my house to the job site). Now when I left my house in the morning I drove 20 minutes to pick the first guy, (my time started when I got to the first persons house in the morning) another 25 minutes to get the other guy, and then about 15 minutes to pick up the last 2.(Sometimes they would not even answer the door and waste more time.) Then after I picked up everyone, I had about an hour drive to the job. Well, my time stopped once I left the job in UVA, and I would have to take everyone home in the afternoon and I would leave UVA at 4:30-5:00pm and not get home until 7:00-7:30pm depending on traffic. I did this for about 2 months, then the boss man wanted to give me 2 more employees that had no drivers license and he left all the work to be done on my shoulders. Keep in mind I was only making 15.00/hour. Which is chicken shit change for what I did. So talking to a few contractors around the job and them seeing me run the show, get the job done, they all thought I was making at least 25-32.00/hour. So 2 weeks ago I go and pick up the pay checks, well Wes's (a guy that worked under me) check was open. I looked in it and I saw that he was making 20/hour. Well I hit the ceiling, pissed off and confronted the company about why a man that has less talent, no drivers license making 200 more a week than me. No one could explain this to me, I then asked for the proper amount I should be making. The response I got was, we don't have the money. Well I told them you got my 2 week notice. So they start sweating saying they need my two weeks, they need my two weeks. The more and more I thought about it, the more and more I got pissed off about how those assholes did me after 3 years of loyalty and making the company money, stabbing me in the back. I was at work last week on Tuesday about 10am. I couldn't do it anymore. I went into the building and yelled at the employees "If you want a ride back to Richmond, I suggest you get the fuck in the truck NOW!!! Well 2 of them did, and 2 of them didn't make the train. Drove the truck back to the house and called the boss man and told him he can come get the truck.

So here I am right before x-mas, no bonus, no job. Pissed off at the world. I have a few side jobs to do to make it past the holidays, and I have talked to a few other companies, some are willing to pay some are not. I think I am going to take it easy for a while and just enjoy the time off.

damn, sorry to hear bout that. what kinda of work do you do, and where are you located? If you're close I know that where i work is hiring.

Construction is what I do..... Kinda jack of all trades in the field. Build you a whole house if you want one.

PA is alittle to far for me. Plus there is plenty of work in Va to be done. I have had 4 contractors call me today and want resumes. I am not concerned about finding another job. Just pissed off that you put that much work in a company and get stabbed in the back. All these so called promises I have never seen. Oh well . Live and learn.

hey man im coming to Virginia this weekend. i'll be in Lynchburg the whole time but i plan on visiting a buddy of mine in Roanoke some. if you wanna hang out with us and whatever, lemme know and i will PM you my cell phone number. i'll buy ya a beer :)

Man I know what you mean man. I just walked out on my job Saturday. Fucking fastfood bullshit (haha I know completely different) but still. My manager completely dicked me. I start at $6.00/hour and I'm getting 40 hours a week (in highschool also by the way). And then he gives me like a raise every pay day so I'm making $6.75 now. He cuts my hours down and my checks overall are like $60 short of what they were when I started! On top of that he was making me do more work and there was another manager that ALWAYS talked shit to me every chance he got then I actually called him out to the back one day to beat his ass and he told the GM who then told HIM to settle down so he was all kissass after that but then saturday the managers were yelling at me and THEY SPIT in my food! So I said fuck yall and spat in everything they had in the kitchen ready to serve then I turned around and pissed on the floor stole a couple of cookies on my way out and left. FUCK that. I feel ya man and I know $60 short ain't much but it counts when you're in highschool making maximum $800/month. Put my civic plans on a slight hold too. Good luck tho on finding a new job you'll get one soon in your profession.

...and THEY SPIT in my food! So I said fuck yall and spat in everything they had in the kitchen ready to serve then I turned around and pissed on the floor stole a couple of cookies on my way out and left. FUCK that.

looks like homemade PBJ for me from now on.

jfcbatman.

:glare:

Meh my best wasen't quitting my job... but owning someone who said I was worthless haah... They wantted a part done in time to make the truck, the part takes 3 hours strait of work, and I have 2 hours left + lunch.... so 1 1/2 hours.... well I said sry can't do it, he said yes u can hands me the paper work... i say OK!... take it put it in the bottom of my list of materials 2 do list and say when I get 2 it next week I get 2 it.. now F*** OFF haha.... Guess its on camra, im waitting for a vid! I asked for 1

1st written warning this month haha!

Man I know what you mean man. I just walked out on my job Saturday. Fucking fastfood bullshit (haha I know completely different) but still. My manager completely dicked me. I start at $6.00/hour and I'm getting 40 hours a week (in highschool also by the way). And then he gives me like a raise every pay day so I'm making $6.75 now. He cuts my hours down and my checks overall are like $60 short of what they were when I started! On top of that he was making me do more work and there was another manager that ALWAYS talked shit to me every chance he got then I actually called him out to the back one day to beat his ass and he told the GM who then told HIM to settle down so he was all kissass after that but then saturday the managers were yelling at me and THEY SPIT in my food! So I said fuck yall and spat in everything they had in the kitchen ready to serve then I turned around and pissed on the floor stole a couple of cookies on my way out and left. FUCK that. I feel ya man and I know $60 short ain't much but it counts when you're in highschool making maximum $800/month. Put my civic plans on a slight hold too. Good luck tho on finding a new job you'll get one soon in your profession.

I've been in fast food for 4 years, winter months get harsh. When I started, I started at $5.15 and made 5-600/month if I was lucky.

Boosted, just do what you said and enjoy the little bit of time off. You've got the rest of your life for work, just don't take too long off or you'll get comfy ;)

Yea for real enjoy the hell out of it before you sign your life away to another punk ass boss. I'm probably gonna go look for jobs right now while everyone's on vacation and set a later start date later January or something.

sick man. I quit my job two weeks ago as well.

similar deal, underpaid etc. I fucking hate construction, but it pays so much better than other careers besides the drivetime and cost of tools.

I'm back working for my dad making 800/week, but shit I was getting completely fucked for over a year and just pretty much gave up trying to go to school and frame.

How do you get into construction? I've been thinking of going to either construction or working on the Texas windmills out in the prairy (sp?) windmills start at $11-13/hour! Sounds great when you're used to minimum wage.

How do you get into construction? I've been thinking of going to either construction or working on the Texas windmills out in the prairy (sp?) windmills start at $11-13/hour! Sounds great when you're used to minimum wage.
Any advice I would give to someone when they asked me that. Is get the fuck away from it. Stay in school and do something besides work your ass off your whole life. I'm 25 and have been in Construction since 16 years old. I have done every type of trade in the field. Theres no future in it. The pay might sound great now, come to me in 10 years and I bet you'll wish you never got into it. I cant tell you how many contractors have told me, "get the fuck out while you can".

Going to start a side job today, putting down alittle over 1000sq ft. of Prefinished Hardwood flooring. Hopefully I will get it done by Sat, cash the check and maybe enjoy the Holidays.

Been talking to a few Companies and seems I cant get an offer higher than 18/hour. Since being around x-mas not that many people looking, I am sure a better offer will come along in January.

Any advice I would give to someone when they asked me that. Is get the fuck away from it. Stay in school and do something besides work your ass off your whole life. I'm 25 and have been in Construction since 16 years old. I have done every type of trade in the field. Theres no future in it. The pay might sound great now, come to me in 10 years and I bet you'll wish you never got into it. I cant tell you how many contractors have told me, "get the fuck out while you can".

Going to start a side job today, putting down alittle over 1000sq ft. of Prefinished Hardwood flooring. Hopefully I will get it done by Sat, cash the check and maybe enjoy the Holidays.

Been talking to a few Companies and seems I cant get an offer higher than 18/hour. Since being around x-mas not that many people looking, I am sure a better offer will come along in January.

That is the absolute worst advice Boosted. You are just bitter right now about the situation if it was that bad you would be looking for a new career not a new company. How can you say that there is no future in construction. The industry is slated to lose at least a third of its work force in the next few years due to retirement and industry apprenticeships are increasing especially in the area of people going back to school after failing to realize a career in the field that they earned a degree in. My advice to anyone who would like to start a career in construction is this:

Understand that it is a physical career that works in all sorts of conditions.

Understand that you have to work your way up the ladder in terms of pay.

Understand that most companies will have you work for them for a certain amount of time before you may be offered an apprenticeship with thta company it is completely normal. They want to weed out the people that can't/don't want to hack it.

Understand that you may be laid off at some point - it is completely normal and it is a cyclical timeline. Busy in the summer not so much in the winter - at least around here in WI.

Understand that the company will try to get as much out of you in terms of work/responsiblilty with the lease amount of pay. It is how construction companys work. They rely on Bids to survive so they extend that train of thought to their employees.

Understand that some companies are crappy to work for and some are awesome and that whether or not it is a union company doesn't always mean anything.

If you are serious about the construction field I highly recommend that you take a class in your Tech Ed area if you can. I am assuming you are still in high school correct? If not I would contact local companies to see if you can get a laborer job with them for the summer and see if it is for you. If you have any questions let me know.

My advice to anyone who would like to start a career in construction is this
move to New Orleans, oh wait the "undocumented workers" all ready did that, and are doing twice the work for $7-10/hour

Shit I was working for $5.30 at a chinese buffet.

I won't even get out of bed for less than 20/hr now for my fine carpenter skills, and I'm a part timer.

Really I got lucky. My dad is very good at what he does and is teaching me a little bit about it. I get paid usually by the piece and not hourly so the pay can range. last weekend I did a side job and it was for 25/hr. Some simple soffets and pick up siding was how it sounded on the phone. BULL SHIT. It was a complete downpour and the house had a vertical channell roof and no gutters and I was doing the soffets off a plank 25 feet up in the air with no back plank and 24" over hang. took 6 hours to do roughly 50sf of soffett with two people. I didn't get to the siding as it was getting dark. My other guy and I just walked off the job, and the side job was a loss for us. We drove for over 2.5 hrs total that day for the job and only charged 150 each. We could have gone into work on our jobsite close to home and done piece work and made more money.

This is how construction goes. It can be a wash, or you can make decent money if you have skills. I'm going to school fulltime so I don't have to do anything physical ever again when I get done. I'll point and push a pencil, and I'll get people like me(now) to do the work.

Back