I REALLY need some help here.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

So......how is the transmission cooled? Is it through the radiator or does it have its own cooling? I know it was mentioned earlier. I have never seen an a/t that didn't have its own cooling radiator attached to the main radiator or somewhere on the rad support (although most of my a/t experience are hot rods and chevy pick-ups)

most auto mitubishis cool through the radiator also. even the radiator in mine has the cooling outlets.

Honda's do this as well.

So......how is the transmission cooled? Is it through the radiator or does it have its own cooling? I know it was mentioned earlier. I have never seen an a/t that didn't have its own cooling radiator attached to the main radiator or somewhere on the rad support (although most of my a/t experience are hot rods and chevy pick-ups)

\/

yep. trans cools in the radiator.

would be the first that ive heard about that. good theory.

the more i think about it i keep going towards head gaskets. leaking a bit during idle, but not enough to cause a problem. but when the engine is steady at 2.5k rpm then it gases up the system.

i will be doing a block test of the radiator.
just to be positive there is no CO in there and the head gaskets arent the problem.

after that, i will be changing the radiator, and the upper and lower hoses.
then, will be telling her to have the transmission serviced.

question: I know that with auto transmissions, theres a time in which the trans becomes non serviceable if they wait too long to service it.
when would be considered too long?
her car has 106k on it. would it be safe to have the fluid changed and flushed?

Wow.......auto trans is foreign territory for me. If it was me......I would call a reputable trans shop and chew their ear for a minute to see if flushing it out is okay. I cannot see why it would hurt but I'm still mesmerized by auto trans problems lol

not sure if this will even work, but if you do like 100 and then drop the tranny into neutral and coast down, does the temp drop at all?

with the tranny in neutral, it might stop the 'pumpin' action of the fluid, but i don't know that that's even an accurate guess.

I'm taking a stab at the radiator but before you do this, take out the thermostat and leave it off. Go for a highway drive and watch her. The transmission should have it's own oil cooler cooled down by coolant and the trans temp is less than engine temp at all time.

Wow.......auto trans is foreign territory for me. If it was me......I would call a reputable trans shop and chew their ear for a minute to see if flushing it out is okay. I cannot see why it would hurt but I'm still mesmerized by auto trans problems lol

yeah, im not to keen on them.
but i know that if you wait too long to service one and do a full exchange, then you cant do it at all.
seen a couple of people lose their trans, and a decent tech get fired, for doing a flush on a high mileage unserviced trans.

i dont want to do that. lol.

not sure if this will even work, but if you do like 100 and then drop the tranny into neutral and coast down, does the temp drop at all?

with the tranny in neutral, it might stop the 'pumpin' action of the fluid, but i don't know that that's even an accurate guess.

I vote this for diagnostics.

\/

i will be doing a block test of the radiator.
just to be positive there is no CO in there and the head gaskets arent the problem.

after that, i will be changing the radiator, and the upper and lower hoses.
then, will be telling her to have the transmission serviced.

question: I know that with auto transmissions, theres a time in which the trans becomes non serviceable if they wait too long to service it.
when would be considered too long?
her car has 106k on it. would it be safe to have the fluid changed and flushed?
By all means have the tranny serviced. If in doubt, take it to a shop and have it done. Talk to them first, they should be able to answer all your questions and explain it to you without coming across like they're doing you a favor just talking to you. I would recommend a local type mom and pop over a chain shop.

It's more about condition than miles. However, condition is generally related to miles. A good shop can tell you what condition it's in with a fluid & filter change and test drive.

got it fixed.
the radiator was clogged on the inside.
i couldnt even drain it using the drain plug at the bottom. took it all the way out and nothing happened. stuck in a screwdriver and it just came out with thick mud like shit on it.

i will be telling her to service the trans. even after it lost some from the radiator change it was still too full, well over an inch from the hot reading on the dipstick.
the fluid still looked good in it so i think its safe to assume it has been serviced at some point in the past.

which brings me to conclude that GM's dex-cool is a complete load of shit.
who advertises that their coolant is supposed to last over 150k and after 100k it looks like mud? really?

oh well, im done with it. and glad.

car running but no heat always leads me to a head gasket issue

coolant looking like mud leads me to an oil to coolant leak

do you have heat back now?

yeah, it worked last time i drove it.

i did a pressure test of the coolant system, it held 22psi for over 5 min with no loss at all.

then, i did a block test just to make sure because i didnt want to put a radiator in and it be the head gaskets.
block test was negative for any exhaust gases in the coolant. there was no oil in the coolant and vice verse.
the coolant just looked like shit.

Back