i relocated the battery in my rex and now no start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i have a 90 rex with a b16a in it and I relocated the battery to the hatch using summits relocate kit and i have a yellow top battery. Anyways, I ran the power wire through firewall to distribution block that splits the wire and one goes to the fuse box under the hood and the other wire goes to the starter. I grounded it to the usually spot ( the spare tire bolt ) and now when you click the key over all the lights come on the dash, headlights work, brake lights work, and wiperblades and everything work. So I go to crank the car over and nothing happends. No crank I dont even hear the starter relay clicking. I went over all the connections and I noticed the other connector that goes to the starter fell out, but before I saw that I took off the power wire the was connected to the starter off. when I found that was off i thought that was it so i put that in and as i put the power starter wire back on i hit some kinda ground in the engine bay with the power wire and it sparked so i went to the battery disconnected the negative terminal and than hooked it all back up and same result as last time. any ideas or thoughts would be very helpfull.

one of three things. fuse, main relay, clutch start cancel switch. i just had to do the latter of these to my homeboys hatch.

Is the starter solenoid grounded properly? Have you checked the resistance along the ground between the battery and starter? Do you have a fuse back by the battery? If not get one back there, else you will start a fire when something along the main wire's path pierces it and shorts.

When you try to start the car do the lights dim? If so thats a sign of a voltage drop and a bad connection someplace, there is one place to start, make sure all the grounds are clean and rid of paint and rust. Second put the ignition in the on position, like if the car was running, and take a jumper wire (at least 16awg) from the starter soleniod (not the starter main power) and goto +12 on the fuse box under the car, if the car starts the starter has a good connection. REMEMBER to disconnect this after the car starts! You have narrowed it down to the switch/relay/fuse itself if it starts. From there get an multimeter, set it on continuity, check the clutch pedal switch. Put the multimeter on voltage and correct range, put the black lead on vehicle ground, and put the red lead right at the output of the starter relay, turn the key. If there is +12 there when you turn the key it could be a wire. Try having someone turn the key and you wiggling the wires. Just some things to try, good luck.

thanx for all the replies very much, they are very helpfull. I'm gonna try these right tonight. Since that wasn't working and wasn't to worried about it I started putting a fuel guage and pressure regulator on and noticed my fuel line from the firewall to the fuel filter was a little kinked so I decided to replace it and no parts places sell it and the dealer said 94.72 for the line thats like foot long. I almost s*** my self when I heard that so i'm not sure what to do but once I get a new one on i'll try all thoughs things that were mention on the battery situation. Anyone know where to get one used new dont matter as long as the fitting work or if anyone has one laying around. thanx again.

Back