I snapped my exhaust camshaft...pics

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

If the valves hit the pistons, the followers aren't even touching the cams. Did you ever upgrade your lost motion assemblies?

I would say that your motor was suddenly jerked to WELL over 10K...
I'm guessing your tach only went to 10K and all you saw was the needle coming back down from 10 grand...

I've done it before, not that bad, and only on a single cam...
my tach only went to 8K so i didn't feel as bad as i would have watching it come down from 10, lol
makes you a little more prepared to re-stomp the clutch in the future just in case it happens again...

on a side note, has anyone ever dropped a cam...
my friend told me they would just snap and i didn't believe him so he dropped a sohc f22 cam on the floor and the shit broke into like 3 or 4 pieces... i was amazed to say the least...

EDIT: QUESTION for you...
since you were able to drive it home I am assuming the valves were only slightly tweeked and not mashed into the head, is this correct?

and do you think the cam was fractured/fatigued but still held together until you got it home...?

but it still ran after the cam was sticking out 3mm and obviously broken right? interesting....

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 29 2004, 11:40 AM
If the valves hit the pistons, the followers aren't even touching the cams. Did you ever upgrade your lost motion assemblies?
[post=369839]Quoted post[/post]​

not when that happened, but i have since, the newer LMA's are in the head now.

well, by using that, (assuming you had the tires that are on your current webpage) 115 in 3rd = 11,000 RPM

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jul 29 2004, 02:44 PM
did you fully engage the clutch or did you catch yourself before full engagement?
[post=369938]Quoted post[/post]​

i kinda caught myself, but by the time i did it was too late.

Originally posted by DTEC+Jul 29 2004, 11:54 AM-->
@Jul 29 2004, 11:40 AM
[post=369839]Quoted post[/post]​

not when that happened, but i have since, the newer LMA's are in the head now.
[post=369850]Quoted post[/post]​

Well... honestly- I'm surprised that your cams didn't break before now since you were using the stock LMAs on a significantly hotter cam profile, but there are a lot of things that can go wrong at 11k rpm to break engine parts. The stock LMAs might not have caused the breakage, but I'm thinking that they definitely contributed to it.

<--- Picture of my Mis-shift.. All on Stock head..

Damn 3rd disguising itself as 1st.

Luckily that was before the Juice.. Or else it wouldn't have been pretty..

Back