I think I found it!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yeah!
I'll be damned if I'm registering for some crap I probably don't want to see!
Damned commie's!
Always trying to make me register... :fuckyou:

I want my five minutes back. I have no idea what your trying to get across on this thread. :tfg:

Last Thread Next Thread
Author Thread

schaferJ
NOS junkie

Stupid Honda Question
Ok, I don't know much about honda's... I never really planned to. But, my mom bought a 96 integra ls not too long ago, and I've been thinking about a head swap. This is where my knowledge ends. I know people swap a vtec head onto it, but which head? The engine in there is the B18B1, correct? Would I just swap the B18C1 head onto it? If I were to do this, what else would I need other than the head. I'm talking very detailed, list every part I would need for this project.

Autozone Guy: That goes on a heater, don't it?

Me: No, it's for an intercooler on a turbocharged car

Autozone guy: Oil's gonna run through that, right?

Me: No, air, I need vacuum hose

Autozone guy: I don't think air's running through there. Vacuum hose isn't what you need.

...people are idiots

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

07-31-2003 07:38 AM

blundar
Rice burner

what you are doing is generally referred to as a "LS-vtec"

Search around hybridgarage, honda-swap, honda-tech, etc. and you should be able to get a godo idea of what's involved.

There are MANY ways to skin a cat with a LS/vtec conversion so be prepared to see lots of ideas, some of them even conflicting possibly.

peace
-Dave

07-31-2003 11:45 AM

seth
Rice burner

Re: Stupid Honda Question

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by schaferJ
Ok, I don't know much about honda's... I never really planned to. But, my mom bought a 96 integra ls not too long ago, and I've been thinking about a head swap. This is where my knowledge ends. I know people swap a vtec head onto it, but which head? The engine in there is the B18B1, correct? Would I just swap the B18C1 head onto it? If I were to do this, what else would I need other than the head. I'm talking very detailed, list every part I would need for
this project.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any B series heads and bottom ends are interchangeable. Therefore you could take a VTEC head from an Integra GSR-B18c1 or from an Integra Type R B18C5. You will also need a valvetrain from that same engine.

I don't know the exact part list, however, I do know that the LS/VTEC has to be built perfectly and tuned perfectly for it to be a good daily driver, and if you're asking what parts are needed and such I'd advise not doing a huge project like this until you have learned and researched the information.

07-31-2003 11:54 AM

jetspd
Rice burner

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW EVERY PART THEN PM EGB18C, I KNOW HE HAS DONE A BUNCH OF THEM. I BET HE WOULD BE WILLING TO DO IT FOR YOU TOO.

91vw gti 4 sale

08-01-2003 12:13 AM

AllMotorSi
under the knife....

http://www.racingknowledge.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=245

This is be best link for LS/Vtec that i've found. if you have any more questions just let me know.....

08-01-2003 12:41 AM

schaferJ
NOS junkie

Well if it gets done, I'm definitely doing it myself. I understand that it isn't going to be that easy, and clearly I am not knowledgeable enough to do it now. I'm not the kid who plans on doing something and has no clue how, and no intent to learn. I'm also not the kid that gives his car to someone and pays them to do something.

Thanks for the info... time to start reading (and convincing my mom that she "needs" this done).

Autozone Guy: That goes on a heater, don't it?

Me: No, it's for an intercooler on a turbocharged car

Autozone guy: Oil's gonna run through that, right?

Me: No, air, I need vacuum hose

Autozone guy: I don't think air's running through there. Vacuum hose isn't what you need.

...people are idiots

08-01-2003 06:18 AM

aicoomer
coomster

goin vtec
the easiest/cheapest way to go is to go ahead and by a b16a1 head and throw'er on. The a2 head is a little harder to come by and usually ends up more expensive. the a2 head has the best valves (for stock valves) in it. the c1 head will fit, but that goofy gsr intake manifold dont work....so you have to go aftermarket. the c5 head is direct....but its kinda pricey and a little hard to come buy. so the best thing to do is get the b16a1 head. theres plenty of forums and pages about the ls-vtec. its quite common and really simple. the only thing about it is that it needs to be done right. SO DONT FOOL AROUND. get in touch w/ raceline. they're a local shop that manufactures the oil line you'll need for the vtec solenoid.

08-02-2003 01:17 PM

KillerX
Rice burner

Need a CYL HEAD give us a call . we can get you handled...are shop has a good supply of parts also we can do your install.

08-03-2003 05:02 PM

blundar
Rice burner

B16A1 (JDM), B16A2 (JDM), B16A3 (USDM Del sol vtec / 99-00 Civic Si) and ITR/CTR are all the same casting (PR3-2). That means they are the same head. That means they use the same valves. Honda didn't put fancy stainless / nitride coated valves in any of their heads, from the factory.

The difference between the ITR/CTR heads and the "regular" B16 heads is a hand-done port+polish job from the factory.

Obviously cams are different too. The valvetrain on B16A1 heads is a little weak. If you want something to run with, you can't beat the value of a B16A1.

Also, you can use a GSR (B18C1) head as long as you keep the wack-ass dual runner intake manifold and run an ECU that properly opens the IABs (butterfly valves in manifold). Alternatively, Skunk2 and JG Edelbrock (to name the first two I though of) make a traditional single runner style manifold for the GSR head, but be prepared to pay $200+ for one new. The GSR head has smaller combustion chambers than the B16 head which means you will have higher compression. Aparantly, this head doesn't flow as well as a B16 head, especially after heavy port work. GSR cams are arguably the best STOCK honda cam for a turbocharged motor.

Again, if you just want something that works and you can get a COMPLETE GSR head and intake manifold cheap, there is no reason not to. Performance wise, the B16 heads can go further. Dollar wise, the B16 heads will probably be cheaper.

Good luck.

Last edited by blundar on 08-03-2003 at 11:12 PM

08-03-2003 11:06 PM

KyEDHatch
Rice burner

Here's your answer
The answer to your boggle.

Back