I think I wanna learn PHP?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

djyox

Just wondering how, any of you that know it, learned it? I don't even really know exactly what it is and what it does, or what it is used for, other than some of the stuff I have seen on the net....ie this site. Basicaly I just wanna learn a new programming lingo and I don't feel like jumping back onto the C/C++ (was learning a few years ago, then quit.) But I dunno if PHP is what I am really looking for. I think it is, but who knows? What do you guys think I should learn if not PHP? as of now the only thing I wanna make is a website....that is, a fast loading website with all the goodies, basicaly most that are on here, ie. menu uptop, forum, ect....I'm not planning on making my own forum, but at least working with them, and being able to read. I already know HTML like the back of my hand, so not really feeling that, and wasn't really leaning tords java...let me know what you think. :(

or maybe CGI? who knows...any one who knows more about these can inform me about what they all do and what they are best used for...

Talk to B.... he can give you some good links...

cgi is an interface, not a language. perl and python are generally used for it.
IMO, don't bother with it. it's dead. asp/php/jsp/cfm/ and all the rest have taken over.

Java... sucks. yeah, its a great technolgy, but XP didn't even come with the runtime environment, and chances are, most users don't have java installed on their machines.
on top of that, i find it slow, annoying as fuck, and frankly, i think it sucks. the only good use of java i've seen is yahoo games. :) for a web site that doesn't involve any kinda game interaction, its useless. (my opinion of course)

javascript is great for client side shit that can't be done with css (which by the time v3 of css comes out, js will pretty much be useless anyway)... but for server-side, its slow, huge code for simple shit, and generally, sucks. (again, my opinion).

PHP= pre-hypertext processor. pre meaning before, hypertext meaning html, processor meaning the thing that does stuff. :D

in a nutshell, it fucking owns.

if you know C++, php will be a breeze. its all the good shit of C++ without all the useless (imo) pointers and ref vars that just loop you like a 2-dollar whore.

pretty much everywhere will give you php and a mysql database. but even without a database, php is very very powerful.

i couldn't being to teach you a language in a forum...

php.net is the home and has a complete function list.
sitepoint.com has great forums and articles
phpbuilder.net has great articles
w3schools.com will give you the basic 101 type shit.

you mention a menu uptop... well, thats straight HTML... and a little style from CSS. php has nothing to do with it. remember- php happens on the server.

for example:

Code:
<?php
include("somefile.html");
?>

will you guessed it, include that page.
it can be uber simple... and most stuff you will do at first will be like this.

but, and that same time, its a hugely powerful, object-oriented prgramming environment.

Code:
<?
class blah {
 // some comment
 var $some var = '';
  function somefunctionName() {
  $numDirs = count($this->scriptArray);
  for ($i=0; $i<$numDirs; $i++) {
   if (!in_array($this->scriptArray[$i], $this->removeDirs))
    $newArray[] = $this->scriptArray[$i];
  }
  return $newArray;
 }
}

//initiate the class
$class = new class;

//spit it out
echo "<p>".$class->show_functionname()."</p>";
?>

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 13 2004, 11:35 PM
Java... sucks. yeah, its a great technolgy, but XP didn't even come with the runtime environment, and chances are, most users don't have java installed on their machines.
on top of that, i find it slow, annoying as fuck, and frankly, i think it sucks. the only good use of java i've seen is yahoo games. :) for a web site that doesn't involve any kinda game interaction, its useless. (my opinion of course)

you have much to learn young grasshopper..
i love java, we use it here for our ecommerce, written in .jsp. clients don't need any runtime environment to go to the sites, only the server hosting the .jsp application needs to have the runtime. to add, these sites are not slow at all. i have yet to check out php. my senior project group was going to write our project in php until i showed them java. of course everyone at our school is now taught java so it was easy for everyone to pick up.

just cause you dotn use it doesn't mean it's dead my friend.. i know people still getting hired to do cobal. Tons of useful stuff you can do with perl. Php is sweet though i like .net better way faster C# and asp.net is the way things seem to be steering.

Javascript will always be common place in the web world.. it' s too routed.. java for web aps.. yeah deff old school but not on client side apps.. just another developers oppinion .. (another developer thats less pesamistic)

Originally posted by mdlax1@Jan 14 2004, 01:57 PM
just cause you dotn use it doesn't mean it's dead my friend.. i know people still getting hired to do cobal. Tons of useful stuff you can do with perl. Php is sweet though i like .net better way faster C# and asp.net is the way things seem to be steering.

Javascript will always be common place in the web world.. it' s too routed.. java for web aps.. yeah deff old school but not on client side apps.. just another developers oppinion .. (another developer thats less pesamistic)

Cobol is still alive and VERY strong in the corporate world...especially in the IT insurance industry.

PHP is great for sites, however it has not been incorporated into large environments yet (ie. insurance companies, car manufact. etc.)

CSS is definately the new and upcoming instance, and as most of you know FLASH is still very much alive and becoming even more useful since more people are becoming familiar with developing sites w/in that technology.

ASP and JSP is always going to be used in the corporate environment...its not bad, it just costs a bundle for companies to change their technologies...

Here is an example for an available web developer position at my company:

Code:
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?

The ideal candidate will have demonstrated the following professional and technical skills and competencies:

Demonstrated leadership abilities, including facilitation of direction-setting and in obtaining buy-in to achieve desired results. 
Ability to understand business process challenges and opportunities and to translate them into appropriate technical solutions, including high-level and detailed design. 
 Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to listen effectively and to articulate complex technology alternatives in ways appropriate for the audience. 
Ability to deal effectively with conflict, to promote creative tension, and to negotiate productive outcomes. 
Ability to operate effectively as an individual contributor and as part of a team and to interact equally well with experts from multiple disciplines, both technical and non-technical. 
Demonstrates a "can-do" attitude, initiative, and the ability to see the whole picture and to integrate multiple points of view for the optimal overall solution. 
Experience in teaching/mentoring colleagues. 
Comprehensive knowledge of, and experience in, developing and implementing architecture principles. 
Knowledge regarding vendor products and their suitability for a particular architecture. 
Familiarity with industry-standard tools and methodologies, including Configuration Management standards, Oracle database management, Enterprise Architecture Design and Management, Object Oriented Development Methodologies and Mid-Tier testing tools. 
Broad application development experience, including integration and messaging services (SOA, HTTP, TCP/IP). 
Solid hands-on experience in a mission-critical mid-tier production environment and strong technical skills across a broad spectrum of products/applications within the mid-tier platform including XML, MQ, HTML, Javascript, JSP's, JNDI, JMS, EJB's, WebLogic App Server, iPlanet Web Server, Netegrity SiteMinder, Oracle, Verity, and legacy application integration. 
Knowledge and implementation of Service Oriented Architecture and/or Web Services a plus. 
WHAT IS THE COMPENSATION OPPORTUNITY?

At the ******, our compensation philosophy is simple: we pay competitive base salaries and reward performance. The base salary for this position ranges from $**,***.00 to $***,***.00. In addition, you will be eligible to participate in our comprehensive benefits program including Medical, Dental, Life and Disability Insurance, a 401K Plan, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan and more. 

WHAT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION?

Responsibilities include:

Enhancement / maintenance of J2EE automated build application utilized across the enterprise. 
Build tool is a Java / Weblogic application utilizing JSPs, ANT scripts and XML. 
Install and maintain various software products on Unix and NT servers. 
Build, deploy and migrate java-based applications across multiple Unix environments. 
Support and enhance existing Continuous Integration Environment for existing and future applications. 
Contribute to technical initiatives such as migration to a clustered, high availability configuration. 
Support multiple development initiatives as a member of the Configuration & Infrastructure Management Team. 
Produce documentation and procedures as needed for automated processes developed within the team.
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU TELL ME?

This position resides in our Home Office Campus in CT. We offer free parking, an on site medical facility, and fitness center. Home Office Campus also has a gift shop, two full service cafeterias, three ATM machines and many other conveniences.

An Equal Opportunity Employer

Committed to Building Inclusion and Leveraging Diversity

hmm, thats what i do now, whatcha guys pay? :)

caps at 101,xxx.00

You'd have to be w/ my company for a LONG time to be at the tier level this position is at...

hmm, thats about 60,xxx.00 more than i'm making now, damn i need to finish school!

read my edit...lol

plus its more or less a management position, only referred in by internal postings..

Originally posted by B16@Jan 14 2004, 11:14 AM
i love java, we use it here for our ecommerce, written in .jsp.

java is NOT jsp.

there's a huge difference between the two, even if written in the same basic language. i think jsp is great... but i find every page i go to that usees jsp, sucks. 50% of the time i click on a form button, nothing happens. i find it very unreliable. and thats the USER portion of my opinion. Coding it, is a different story all together.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 14 2004, 02:35 AM
its all the good shit of C++ without all the useless (imo) pointers and ref vars that just loop you like a 2-dollar whore.

pointers and ref vars worthless, BLASPHEMY!

how else am I supposed to have my Node* and x=&a's?

Originally posted by mdlax1@Jan 14 2004, 01:57 PM
Php is sweet though i like .net better way faster C# and asp.net is the way things seem to be steering.

once again- cobol is great... for systems and software. on the web? please.

cgi is old. very old. 1980's old. its slow.
perl and python are great languages... but their interpretation for web use simply sucks. in the same respect, php sucks for building off-web software. VB, cobol, and C++ would destroy a php app in that respect.

eveything has its place.

ASP.net is not faster than php. C# is a.. forget it... im not even going to get started. don't take my word for it- take it from the pros: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/870

Javascript will always be common place in the web world.. it' s too routed.

and its getting pushed out. CSS3 will push 90% of what javascript does out the window. rollovers, drop down menus, you name it- its all part of css 3's documentation, and soon will be released as a web standard. and once again, microsoft won't support any of it... cuz IE6 is already behind, and with no scheduled IE7 due until longhorn, its going to be 3 more years of shit that im done coding for. mozilla/gecko browsers are the future. if you're still using IE6 at this point, you're 2 years behind in technology. might as well throw windows ME back on your machine. same shit.

java for web aps.. yeah deff old school but not on client side apps

client side apps? wtf? java applets are shown to users, and interact in the browser, and thus requires the plugin- again, something that was not distributed with windows XP. more info here: http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/1551781

and wow, what do you know... internetnews.com is coding in php.

i rest my case.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Jan 14 2004, 09:03 PM-->
@Jan 14 2004, 11:14 AM
i love java, we use it here for our ecommerce, written in .jsp.

java is NOT jsp.

there's a huge difference between the two, even if written in the same basic language. i think jsp is great... but i find every page i go to that usees jsp, sucks. 50% of the time i click on a form button, nothing happens. i find it very unreliable. and thats the USER portion of my opinion. Coding it, is a different story all together.

what are you talking about, of course it is. you write java code in the .jsp page, a compiler comes along and turns that .jsp into a .class servlet, which is served by the jsp server, running on the java runtime env. everything about .jsp is java.

right... java gets compled into a class file...

i think we are confusing what i mean by java and jsp. people think java, they think applets. jsp is nothing like an applet, even if its coded the same way behind the sceenes

Originally posted by jiahanhao@Jan 15 2004, 12:06 AM

how else am I supposed to have my Node* and x=&a's?

you don't need them. end of story.

php supprts a similar syntax... here's a snipit from the board software we use....

Code:
class info {

var $member   = array();
	var $input   = array();
	var $session_id = "";
	var $base_url  = "";
	var $vars    = "";
	var $skin_id  = "0";   // Skin Dir name
	var $skin_rid  = "";   // Real skin id (numerical only)
	var $lang_id  = "en";
	var $skin    = "";
	var $lang    = "";
	var $server_load = 0;
	var $version  = "v1.3 Final";
	var $lastclick = "";
	var $location  = "";
	var $debug_html = "";
	var $perm_id  = "";
	var $forum_read = array();
	var $topic_cache = "";
	var $session_type = "";