I think I wanna learn PHP?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 14 2004, 11:22 PM
people think java, they think applets. jsp is nothing like an applet, even if its coded the same way behind the sceenes

an applet is just a small part of java. correct, jsp is nothing like an applet.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Jan 15 2004, 12:15 AM-->
@Jan 14 2004, 01:57 PM
Php is sweet though i like .net better way faster C# and asp.net is the way things seem to be steering.

once again- cobol is great... for systems and software. on the web? please.

cgi is old. very old. 1980's old. its slow.
perl and python are great languages... but their interpretation for web use simply sucks. in the same respect, php sucks for building off-web software. VB, cobol, and C++ would destroy a php app in that respect.

eveything has its place.

ASP.net is not faster than php. C# is a.. forget it... im not even going to get started. don't take my word for it- take it from the pros: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/870

Javascript will always be common place in the web world.. it' s too routed.

and its getting pushed out. CSS3 will push 90% of what javascript does out the window. rollovers, drop down menus, you name it- its all part of css 3's documentation, and soon will be released as a web standard. and once again, microsoft won't support any of it... cuz IE6 is already behind, and with no scheduled IE7 due until longhorn, its going to be 3 more years of shit that im done coding for. mozilla/gecko browsers are the future. if you're still using IE6 at this point, you're 2 years behind in technology. might as well throw windows ME back on your machine. same shit.

java for web aps.. yeah deff old school but not on client side apps

client side apps? wtf? java applets are shown to users, and interact in the browser, and thus requires the plugin- again, something that was not distributed with windows XP. more info here: http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/1551781

and wow, what do you know... internetnews.com is coding in php.

i rest my case.

first i ment java applications on a workstation local side, there's still a good need for at least maintainence on those "aps"

2 asp.net and .net in general no matter what some site says.. php has never reached the potential and foothold like .net has.. now you can toss that up to microsoft's stranggle hold on the market. But look at any php documentation/open souce site and you'll see even the developers cant figure out why it's not taking off. Reason why is like you said... it goes way beyond web it's so accessable through so many platforms..

i wont argue the point of php being sweet cause it is.. and so much easier to read and understand.

cgi yes old.. perl not so old and still many many uses.

css i forgot your on their balls lol well you might be right i'll have to check that out when she comes out.. till then javascript although buggy and tempermental.. still many uses. that wont be gone anytime soon.

Back