I think I'm going to buy an Audi (OPINIONS)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mine will have a warranty even if I have to pay for it.

I'll probably pick one up on monday, I'm not buying an FWD one and I'm going to try my hardest to find one with a low mileage 1.8t, but I can deal with the 2.8.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jun 2 2005, 10:32 PM
for reliability you can't beat the 1.8t with a stick. They've been using that engine for YEARS.
[post=507117]Quoted post[/post]​

Consumer reports reamed that engine, even the more up to date 180hp version.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene+Jun 4 2005, 07:07 AM-->
Battle Pope
@Jun 2 2005, 10:32 PM
for reliability you can't beat the 1.8t with a stick. They've been using that engine for YEARS.
[post=507117]Quoted post[/post]​

Consumer reports reamed that engine, even the more up to date 180hp version.
[post=507715]Quoted post[/post]​

Yup all 3, 1.8T 2.8 and 3.0 have a lot of problems.
mostly bad coils.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Jun 4 2005, 11:36 AM
it happens....

better thanmy POS Prelude. More comfortable and luxurious than my shitvic.
[post=507789]Quoted post[/post]​

You say "it happens" until you find out that people go through anywhere from 1-3 coilpacks at $300 for just the coilpack alone. My friends went in his jetta on the updated engine but he was covered by warranty.

that is a little hefty. I could deal with it if it went out every couple of years, maybe even every year.

Maybe there's an aftermarket coilpack that is more reliable.

Every car has their problems, no doubt about that.

I've got a pretty good deal on a 96 I'm looking at. I have to look it over a bit but I may walk away with it today.

Every car does have its problems however Audi could cost you 10K in repairs over 6 years where a Honda might only cost you 1K

I always tell people who are looking into Audis that they are no different then Lex, BMW, Benz. Bottom line is you have to pay out the ass for anything.

BTW the MPG on the A4 sucks ass If I baby the car and never slow down/speed up, I can get mid 20s If I'm driving to work with a few stoplights I'm lucky to see low 20s

Well, I bit the bullet.

I bought a 96 A4 2.8 Quattro, with 12XXXX miles. 1 year warranty, has a few scratches on the body, nothing major (buffable). Runs excellent

I got it for a rediculously low price, low enough where I can sell it right now and make more than 1k off of it.

Well, I bit the bullet.

I bought a 96 A4 2.8 Quattro, with 12XXXX miles. 1 year warranty, has a few scratches on the body, nothing major (buffable). Runs excellent

I got it for a rediculously low price, low enough where I can sell it right now and make more than 1k off of it.

Originally posted by jeffie7@Jun 4 2005, 07:21 PM
Every car does have its problems however Audi could cost you 10K in repairs over 6 years where a Honda might only cost you 1K

I always tell people who are looking into Audis that they are no different then Lex, BMW, Benz. Bottom line is you have to pay out the ass for anything.

BTW the MPG on the A4 sucks ass If I baby the car and never slow down/speed up, I can get mid 20s If I'm driving to work with a few stoplights I'm lucky to see low 20s
[post=507908]Quoted post[/post]​

as much as people sing the praises of honda reliability ive never seen it. put at least 5k into repairs in the 3.5 yrs and 40k miles that ive owned my del sol. and ive never done any sort of heavy modding so you cant say thats why :p

Originally posted by micah@Jun 4 2005, 11:42 PM

as much as people sing the praises of honda reliability ive never seen it. put at least 5k into repairs in the 3.5 yrs and 40k miles that ive owned my del sol. and ive never done any sort of heavy modding so you cant say thats why :p
[post=507977]Quoted post[/post]​

I sold my honda at 155K I never had any issues with anything stock on the car. even the stock motor I beat to hell it ran like a top before I pulled it for a B.

Before that we sold a 89 LX with almost 230K on the clock it NEVER had any issues. we changed the brakes and oil.

last honda left in the family is my dads LX it has 102K on the clock and other then the stock exhuast rusting out it has had no other issues.

put gas in and go.

I had to replace more things on my Audi in 2 months then I did on all 3 of our hondas that we've had "counting the 89" for 15 years

Only problem I have with the 96 A4 is the thing is slower then dirt

my del sol must be a lemon ><

in 40k miles ive had to replace the brake pads/rotors 3 times and they need new ones again. new timing belt/waterpump. new ignition. new distributor. new flywheel. fuck, i cant even remember everything.

Originally posted by micah@Jun 4 2005, 11:51 PM
my del sol must be a lemon ><

in 40k miles ive had to replace the brake pads/rotors 3 times and they need new ones again. new timing belt/waterpump. new ignition. new distributor. new flywheel. fuck, i cant even remember everything.
[post=507981]Quoted post[/post]​

I always stand by honda even the new shit they make.

Honda makes one great car when it comes to stock

they run and run and run and run.

yep hondas are reliable.
I blew the stock CX motor on purpose, I really beat the hell out of it though.

the A4 isn't too bad, perfect for a DD. I have no need for a 400 hp DD.

184 hp or whatever it is in a 3800 lb car is a little low but is fine and pulls just fine on the street.
I dunno maybe the AWD makes a difference, but I like the car and feel it has enough power to keep me happy as a DD.

Originally posted by micah+Jun 4 2005, 11:42 PM-->
@Jun 4 2005, 07:21 PM

[post=507908]Quoted post[/post]​

[post=507977]Quoted post[/post]​

i had a beat to shit '94 Del Sol S that I put about 35k on in two years, downshifted from 5th to 3rd or 5th to 2nd (when I was in very very low rpms in 5th) and never had a problem with the car. When i got the car it had a bad synchro so it would whirl but as much as I tried to blow the tranny and be a complete ass to the car I never had to do anything more than get new brake pads and change the oil.

My sisters '94 has been the same way and she's been driving that for longer. ...except for that time on the highway when she must've hit a bird and it took her passenger side mirror damn near clear off.

then there's my dads old '94 civic hatchback that he put mass amounts of miles on, like 120,000 in 4 years or so and the only problem he had was when the timing belt snapped and took out the head. Other then that little inncident he never once had a problem with the car.

Girlfriends '95 Civic 4door. Her dad used to drive a '99 SVT Cobra and now has a '03 GT that he loves and doesn't have any real problems but he tells me, 'Ian, I only ever put a set of tires on that car. It has always just gone and gone" and last time I checked the odo on her car it was at about 135k. She thinks its going to die just because she doesn't know anything about cars, but I see it heading its way to 200k without a problem.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Jun 5 2005, 01:00 AM
yep hondas are reliable.
I blew the stock CX motor on purpose, I really beat the hell out of it though.

the A4 isn't too bad, perfect for a DD. I have no need for a 400 hp DD.

184 hp or whatever it is in a 3800 lb car is a little low but is fine and pulls just fine on the street.
I dunno maybe the AWD makes a difference, but I like the car and feel it has enough power to keep me happy as a DD.
[post=508007]Quoted post[/post]​

AWD drives are the same exact time as FWD in the 1/4 mile, and I think they are the same or very very close in 0-60.

The AWD does make the car feel so much more 'planted' though. If you've never been in a AWD car its an eye opener, especially because thats one thing Audi has always done right. A quattro system that can send 100% of its power to one wheel if need be.

yes, I love the feel of the car. I've never driven AWD, or a 4X4 for that matter, system like this.

The ones I've been in were in SUV's which had some crappy 10-30 percent power transferred to the rear wheels. I've never driven an Sti, but I bet that has a nice feel to it too.

Thats the main thing I like about the car, it's handling is great for a stock car and it's defenitly planted. Driving FWD for years and than to this is an eye opener, I'm never going to want to go back :).

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Jun 2 2005, 09:32 PM
s2ks are more than 10k.

I'm setting 10k as my max and thats plenty for an a4.

ANy opinions on the 2.8 vs 1.8 t
[post=507041]Quoted post[/post]​

2.8V6 are more reliable but are the same speed wise as teh 1.8t, cornering with the V6 will be compromised because of teh nose heavyness.

if you get a 1.8t you should look to make sure teh engien code is AEB, better int mani, bigger ports, parts are cheaper, and way more realiable than all the other 1.8t's(VW or AUDI). if you get a 1.8t AEB make sure the timing belt has been replaced because VAG changed teh tesioner style on that enging and swapping to the newer one is about $380 in parts alone

If you have any questions pm me. I work at a VW dealer and know all about the engines and cars. I can also get parts for cheap if you need them.

If you have any questions pm me. I work at a VW dealer and know all about the engines and cars. I can also get parts for cheap if you need them.

your my new best friend :D

I got the 2.8, handling is still great compared to the cars I was driving

-taurus
-90 prelude with blown shocks and bald tires
-93 civic with stock suspension and 13s

quattro pwns anything the japs have to offer

the 2.8 is a very stout engine, nice TQ curve and quite responsive.

#1: you should check the PCV line the connects the 2 valve covers, if it hasnt clogged up yet it would be a good idea to either clean it or replace it, if you dont you will eventually build too much crankcase pressure and blow out your valve cover gaskets.

#2: check your upper links on the front, around 50K is when they like to go bad, if you let one go bad with out noticing the other isnt far behind

#3: check to see if the VM recall has been done. if not even though you arent original owner you should still be eligable for it, because it is a fairly recent recall

#4: tie rod ends are also kinda weak on these cars. around 60K is when they are about shot.

#5: this is prob the most important: make sure not to use the Can-bus for power if you install an aftermarket stereo. you will screw up anything electronic in the car. ie: random CEL, alarm not functioning, no power windows, ABS could fail, etc.

any other ??'s pm me

and for your power needs check these guys out

hope that helps

Back