I think it's time for a new radiator

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

I have had my B16 in for about 3k miles now and haven't had any major probs with it... I had to replace the coil last week but that wasn't bad.
but it has started to overheat on me a couple times recently, it only happens when I'm on the freeway doing about 80 (rpm = 4k in 5th), My guess is that because the stock radiator from my D motor had 1" in and out and the motor has 1.25" in and out that when it gets up to higher rpm's for an extended period of time the radiator just can't keep the engine cool
but I have never had a problem when I'm just driving around town because the rpm's are usually below 4 for the most part

I'm thinking that I will just go straight for a fluidyne so that I don't have to worry about this anymore.

anythoughts on this topic?

edit: will my stock fan still work fine or am I going to have to buy a new fan as well?

i have a b18c in my hf crx and never had any problems with my stock radiator and i live in s.tx where it gets over 100 every summer. is your radiator leaking? if not maybe you have a bad thermostat.

it happened last night for the second time and it was only about 75 degrees outside. but it only happens after about 20 minutes of driving around 80mph@4krpm. the fluid level is fine I just think that because of the difference in fitting sizes it is causing the radiator not to flow right

if the thermostat was bad you would think that I would have more problems then just going above temp twice, don't you?

I guess I really don't know that much about thermostats so I don't know for sure if a new one would solve my problem or not...
If I were to get a new thermostat should I get a low temp one? What is a good brand to get... the only ones I have seen are spoon and Mugen for about $70 each, are there other good ones out there?

should I just replace my thermostat and see if that solves my problem? it would kind of suck to drain the whole system to install the thermostat and then have to drain the whole thing again to put in a new radiator, but I guess if I didn't have to spend 350 on a radiator it would be nice

check your thermostat, check to make sure you have enough coolant, check to see if your fan is coming on, check radiator cap..

the upgrade for your ride without spending tons of cash is to get a delsol dual core radiator, it can also be found on automatic four door ex's in teh EK chassis from waht I understand..

you don't really need to spend the extra loot for the fluidyne...

Originally posted by JDMilan@Sep 11 2003, 11:45 AM
check your thermostat, check to make sure you have enough coolant, check to see if your fan is coming on, check radiator cap..

the upgrade for your ride without spending tons of cash is to get a delsol dual core radiator, it can also be found on automatic four door ex's in teh EK chassis from waht I understand..

you don't really need to spend the extra loot for the fluidyne...

I have enough coolant.... ::check::
Fan comes on... ::check::
radiator cap is on.... ::check::

not sure how to check the thermostat, wouldn't that involve draining the radiator and taking the thermostat out? Might as well put a new one in if I'm going to do that

I haven't had much luck in looking for used dohc sol radiators which is what I would want because it would have the inch and a quarter conections

I just don't know what exactly would be the cause of the temperature only getting high after about 20 minutes of driving at 80 plus but not when just driving around town? any thoughts on this?

i have a fluidyne rad in my crx with b16 and it works good i got the stock fan on it and it just barely fits but it does..i have place mounts but i dont know if that makes any diference..i would get a new water pump to help the circulation,new thermostat,check your head gasket..maybe its going bad

Back from the dead!!!!!!
NO need to start a new thread.

I have a 93 dx. My stock d series starts to heat up when I'm going up hill with the ac on (freeway). I t went up to 3/4 and was still slowly creeping when I let off the gas. Around town there is little change in temp. I just changed the fluid and thermostat to get out the aluma seal stuff I had in there. There are no air bubbles, and I have no leaks. BOth hoses become hot when I run the car and the fan works. Is this expected with an 11 year old engine/radiator?

forget the fluidyne get a C&R. For alot cheaper they come with a fan. just as good quality. I kept my stock one, the integra rad. is double the size of civics', runs cold. I only had a problem with my swap and the temp switch not working, so i have a toggle switch to kick on the fan(i cant forget or sitting in traffic ill look down and be like shit! forgot again)

Originally posted by driverunknown@Aug 9 2004, 07:13 PM
Is this expected with an 11 year old engine/radiator?
[post=374499]Quoted post[/post]​

How many miles on your car? If that is the original radiator, I would replace it. How does the exterior of your radiator look? Are a lot of bugs and crap stuck in the front fins of it? Any corrosion showing? I've replaced the radiator twice in my 94 Si, every 5 years, but I have 300K miles on her. It you replace it, change the hoses too. At least you've changed your thermostat... and if you replace your radiator, get one for a Del Sol VTEC, as they are dual core.

Thankyou so much for the reply. Without reading it I ordered it this afternoon from radiators.com. I got it for 101.00. It seemed to be the original so yeah. Swap on thursday and results on friday afternoon.

By the way I hadn't seen you post in a while. ;)

edit: i got the del sol dual core and the hoses seem fine.

Originally posted by driverunknown@Aug 11 2004, 01:23 AM
By the way I hadn't seen you post in a while. ;)

edit: i got the del sol dual core and the hoses seem fine.
[post=375158]Quoted post[/post]​

Congrats on your problem solved. I hope that you used Honda radiator fluid as it is free of silicates... yeah dual core is the way to go. I had wanted to go with an all aluminum Koyo radiator last spring, but I figured that changing the radiator once every 5 years on my Si was a good thing. It will get me to change the hoses and the thermostat at the same time. I'm on the road a lot, so crap gets built up in those front fins too.

Since June, I have been on the road almost constantly. Been to California twice (went to watch the Pikes Peak Hillclimb in CO also) and I am now visiting friends in Florida. This has been the best summer ev4r! So consequently, I have not been online as much... nice to be missed. :)

I didnt know that about the fluid. I used prestone orange and the car seems to be running great. The temp is consistent wether I am at wot or granny-driving. My biggest concern was today, because the car always started to get hot on a long uphill section coming home from work. Today I drove it hard with ac on full blast (nevada heat) the whole way home and the water temp never made it past the 1/3 mark. So I am happy. :)
Engine just has to last me till christmas ;)

Back