I thought diffrent and bought an Apple

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
So I went to the dark side and ended up picking up a new Macbook. It is the 2.0ghz intel core duo processor. For upgrades, I bought a 100gb hard drive, along with a gig of ram.

So far, I like it. Still learning the OS but so far its been fun with how some of the stuff works. I love how you can have the background cycle through a folder of pictures every few minutes. I had something like that on my PC and it would almost crash the computer every time it switched.

Eventually I'll be asking questions here but for now, i'll just enjoy.

NNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

At least you got one of the new x86 based systems so you can run M$ or X very easily on it if you really wanted to. ;)

How is the speed compared to Windows? Last time I touched a mac was to rip the guts out of it for the modems that where in them, so I dont really know what the new ones are like.

Drake said:
How is the speed compared to Windows? Last time I touched a mac was to rip the guts out of it for the modems that where in them, so I dont really know what the new ones are like.

quick. Loads pages a tad faster then my Vaio, and for iTunes, when I search for a song, it takes no time at all. My sony always sound like it was going to blow up when ever I did searching and stuff.

yeah, the new mac's are fucking fast. we just picked up a mac mini for our 42" plasma at work. all it does is run various quicktime videos/animations and picture slideshows:)

700 bucks. very versatile.

I suggest a good linux distro to boot. I'll give ya a +1 since it ain't microcrap.

also I always loved the slogan
"Don't think, Be Different" -- BeOS

ha ha, I already have found problems.

First few days I had the computer, worked great, I loved it. Then today, I was away from it for a while and I get a grey screen (they couldn't possibly make it blue) that says you must hold the rest button for x- time. So I do, it restarts the OS. Then I am using Camino (Mozilla for OSX) and it crashes on me, then the whole OS crashes on me. I open up iTunes which I had already download all my old music onto the mac, and it starts prumpting me like I want to install for the fisrt time. Then the whole fucking OS starts crashing on me over and over again. So I figure maybe one of things that I downloaded in the past day or so didn't agree with the OS, so I try and reinstall. like a 1/5 of the way through it crashes on me again. Next it goes to a test thing. Turns out I have an error code 4mem/4/40000000 which doing a google search, turns out it is either faulty memory or logic board. So tommrow I will be throwing this thing to the apple store (yea 20 miles away with $3 a gallon gas

-Collin (who is slighltly intoxicated right now)

*edit (Posted on my Vaio (thank god I didn't delete my music off this thing yet))

^wow for being drunk in the post above, I typed pretty well

For the update. Took it to the mac store today. I tell the guy my symotoms, he hands me some topical lotion and tells me to wait a few days and I am on my way...oh wait, wrong stop. He figures its a memory problem also. So he pulls my memory. First stick looks good, second looks like it had be left outside for a week in the rain. Corrosion all over it. He was extremly confused and said that he would recomend getting a whole new one. However, since I didn't buy it at the store, he said I had to return it back to apple. He rights up a case reports and on there recommends complete replacement of the computer. So now I have to wait like another week or so.

-collin who is kinda fucking pissed.

wow! ive bought a dozen apple machines for access, and they have all been pretty stout.

my experience with apple tech support-

pros:
short phone calls
they either send you a tech next day to fix the problem with a desktop (and they ARE knowledgeable!) or a box next day to ship your laptop back to them
turn around time on the laptop ship is a week at most.

cons:
havent found any yet.

oh, and applecare is DEFINATELY worth it. we had a designer knock his g5 tower off his desk. told apple about it, they replaced the whole thing next day.

yeah, this is new to me. usually apple is top of the line stuff (thats why you paid close to 2k for that laptop). BTW, firefox works on osx. it is FAR superior to safari.

ummmm yeah, you got pwnd.

reikoshea said:
yeah, this is new to me. usually apple is top of the line stuff (thats why you paid close to 2k for that laptop). BTW, firefox works on osx. it is FAR superior to safari.

ummmm yeah, you got pwnd.

I tried both safari and Camino but didn't try firefox. Camino was alright, except it didn't have the add search engines to the mini search engine thing. I love how firefox has a built in ebay searcher.

Back