I want a turbo kit

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

s2000dreams

What's up guys, what turbo kit should I be looking at. Or should I be getting envolved with a DIY type project. I used to have a 2000 ex, I put a turbo specialties kit on it some 3 years ago. It was easy to do. I just thought I'd get the best info from some forum guys. You all seem to know WAY too much :mrgreen: I've looked around a good bit, but I figured I'd get the most help in here!

Best bet for the money would be a Greddy or Edelbrock kit. CARB legal and oh-so-easy to install.

If you wanna go DIY you have a lot of options.

Manifolds;
HX/VX manifold w/adapter plate. Cheap, easy to fit, and really durable. Adapters can be made or bought to fit all frames of turbos.

CC-fab/homemade tubular log .Not crazy cheap, but an awsome price. External/internal WG option.

Greddy/Revhard/etc cast manifold. Awsome flow, really durable, but can be a bit pricey.

Crazy tubular manifolds - Full Race, Peak Boost, CC-fab ramhorn, Lovefab. High prices, but mad flow. Only considered if making above 300whp with a BIG turbo.

Turbos; Many people with D's use either DSM 14B or smaller T25 frame turbos. Lots of useable boost and small size make it easy to fit. A T3/super 60 hybrid would be a the next choice along with other T28 variants. That's about as big as you should go for a good DD ride with decent power.

Get a good intercooler and some decent piping - although you can do the piping yourself. If you're on the cheap DSM sidemount intercoolers and piping can be made to work. Regualr FMIC's can be had anywhere, but shop around.

For fuel you'll likely either need a VFAC hack to run DSM 450cc injectors (needed to provide enough fuel) or you could tune your car with Uberdata or Crome on an OBD2-OBD1 convereted P28.

I'd check out D-series.org or Homemadeturbo for more details.

Good luck! :)

edelbrock if you're gonna get a kit. only other thing I'd suggest against egproject is stay away from the vafc/safc hack. I was doing it. it sucked. If you buy a new v/safc you pay what 250? plus your car isnt tuned. I found somone locally with a wideband to help me tune. he didnt mind because it was experience for him. I paid 120 for the ecu 15 for the chip kit and a conversion harness because I'm obd2 for 80 bucks. for 215 I have a better tune and the car is so much faster than before. in all honestly the hack isnt safe unless its tuned with a wideband, but if its gonna be tuned with a wideband why not get crome or uberdata?
everything else he posted is right on. but you'll probably need a better than stock clutch.

Yeah, you're completely right about the VFAC. I just suggested it because he might not want to ditch his OBD2 ECU for emissions reasons.

Thanks guys. How big of an intercooler can I stuff up front. I found this one but I'm not sure if it would fit. Seems like a bangin deal too. Front Mount I've heard pretty good things about the Megan Racing parts.

I'd stay away from that...I paid that much for my johnnyracecar, and I've seen spearco's go for about that price too. plus its way too big. I had a problem fitting an 8" behind my bumper without cutting too much. plus you dont want 3" outlets unless you're making quite a bit of power. 2 1/2 would be better.

what are you turbocharging? a 2000 civic, or an S2000?

Nope. He said 2000 EX, so that's a Civic (or Accord at least), not an S2000. There are no trim levels with the S2000.

By the way, I agree with EGProject 100%. You can also look to the old 88-91 HF or STD manifolds for a cheap source. I'm pretty sure you're going to have to cut up the manifolds from the HX/VX before you can mount a turbo onto them- I think the cat and the manifold come in one piece.

Quoted post[/post]]
What's up guys, what turbo kit should I be looking at. Or should I be getting envolved with a DIY type project. I used to have a 2000 ex, I put a turbo specialties kit on it some 3 years ago. It was easy to do. I just thought I'd get the best info from some forum guys. You all seem to know WAY too much :mrgreen: I've looked around a good bit, but I figured I'd get the most help in here!

Quoted post[/post]]
Nope. He said 2000 EX, so that's a Civic (or Accord at least), not an S2000. There are no trim levels with the S2000.

By the way, I agree with EGProject 100%. You can also look to the old 88-91 HF or STD manifolds for a cheap source. I'm pretty sure you're going to have to cut up the manifolds from the HX/VX before you can mount a turbo onto them- I think the cat and the manifold come in one piece.

he said he used to have a 2000 EX. i thought i saw him make another post somewhere about an S2000, so i wasn't sure.....

I used to have a t20 turbo specialties kit on my 00 ex and loved it, but I love the home made route!!! Grass routes baby! I'm thinking of going this route with my s2000. Any ways it might be a little out of budget but check out this bad ass intercooler I'm thinking about for the 2000.Big Cooler Good luck with the kit!!!

you're gonna go homemade on an S2k? i hope you have the skills to keep it clean under the hood

Quoted post[/post]]
he said he used to have a 2000 EX. i thought i saw him make another post somewhere about an S2000, so i wasn't sure.....

Ah ok.

Quoted post[/post]]
I used to have a t20 turbo specialties kit on my 00 ex and loved it, but I love the home made route!!! Grass routes baby! I'm thinking of going this route with my s2000. Any ways it might be a little out of budget but check out this bad ass intercooler I'm thinking about for the 2000.Big Cooler Good luck with the kit!!!
you're gonna go homemade on an S2k? i hope you have the skills to keep it clean under the hood

:shrug2: That's not in this thread...

But yeah, no homemade on the S2k. People building kits for S2ks are generally higher dollar and better technically than people who build kits for Civics.

werd...S2000 isnt a kiddie toy (like a civic/accord) i wouldnt go home made on it.

Back