I want to build I rev monster

Which One

• b18c5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • b

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

projectxspeed

I am looking at starting a new project. I want to build an all motor CRX with high rev capability. Which motor would be the best for my application?

small engines tend to rev faster due to smaller rods and short stroke(like motorcycles). and the b16 has aftermarket parts for valvesprings that can rev pretty high.

blanco why do you favor the b18 over the b16? I would like the smaller motor would rev better. BTW I am going to build which ever I get.

no replacement for displacement, but the best replacement is revs. but when your motor is revving high all the time; parts are also wearing out quicker.

RPM = Ruins People's Motors

If you want to rev all day, get the B16. If you want a more substantial platform to start with, get the B18C.

What is the big hang up on high reving motors? Build a motor to make power, if it peaks out at 7500rpm then that is where it peaks at, there is no reason to rev higher than where you make power at. I agree that most b16s that make 200+ hp make it at around 9500rpm, but those are pretty high strung out motors, that I honestly do not think will last that long if reved that high. I say build a motor to make power, who gives a shit if it revs to 10 billion rpm. Make a power monster not a rev monster.

I like pushing thru the rpm. I am building a fun car for me to drive, nothing more. My other project LS/turbo will be the power house. I just want a semi cheap rev monster to have fun with

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jun 19 2004, 03:00 AM
buy a bike
rev it out to 15K

My RC car spins upwards of 40,000 RPM and makes 595 HP/ liter, naturally aspirated.

Get a custom dart tallblock, longer rods, and pistons with the wrist pin raised.

You can have a two liter engine with a rod stroke ratio that rivals a b16 ;)

I like pushing thru the rpm. I am building a fun car for me to drive, nothing more. My other project LS/turbo will be the power house. I just want a semi cheap rev monster to have fun with

It isn't going to be cheap to rev that high reliably. But neither is it going to break any faster, like some people say, if you build it well. It is the same argument as for the ls/vtec, whose bottom end ALSO was not meant to rev high. Build it good, and you will be fine. I am in the slow process of building a 200+whp NA b16, and you have to rev a b16 in order to get those kind of numbers, bottom line, but the build isn't cheap by any means. I'll post the quote I got from my machine shop for you so you can see the cost of JUST the bottom end, and maybe that will help you out.

revving high is great--- if your motor can actually MAKE power there.

its RARE for a street hodna to make more power at 9k than it does at 8k... even with "stage 3" style cams.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 20 2004, 12:40 AM
revving high is great--- if your motor can actually MAKE power there.

its RARE for a street hodna to make more power at 9k than it does at 8k... even with "stage 3" style cams.

and even if you can get them to make the power up there, your idle will be very fucked up.

I'm thinking the only way you're going to get any sort of really high revving motor and still be streetable is if you get sponsored and use that same motor/car for serious track duty for some racing team.

Ok fine B. Reliable instead of streetable. happy? sheesh. last time I listen to people who tell me s2 stage 3 cams aren't streetable.

Here is the quote I have received for parts and labor on the bottom end. I am probably not going to go with them buying my parts, because I have the hookups on this website (IBSpec -yeah!) and on Rocket Motorsports (Good ole Bert-o with the oem stuff :) ). But they do quality machining and will soon have an in house dyno, so I will probably let them do the labor and actual building; gotta support the local boys too... Anyway here is the quote for the built bottom end. Stephen at Lesco told me that as long as it is tuned right, the bottom end will support anything I can throw at it, including a good nitrous setup. Sorry for the life sized pics.

s40d5237b5f382.jpg

s40d5233788b95.jpg

Back