I want to build I rev monster

Which One

• b18c5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • b

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Rev8k, your idle will only be messed up if the low rpm lobes on your cams are way different than stock. Most of the recent cam designs have almost stock low rpm cam lobes. If you are looking for high rpm motor building, I suggest you also check into the forums at Rocket Motorsports as well. There is a good amount of info in there.

just for shits and gigles, my bike revs higher then 15k. lol. could build a turbine and go 50k plus. lol. and RC cars dont count! nitrometh. lol. i was always under the impression a b16 was the thing to do. if all you want is rev, couldn't he "de-stroke" and engine? not good for power, but a "rev-queen" of sorts. ::cough cough::ignition system::cough cough::

MikeBergy lemme know how your build goes

Will do bro, I need some money really bad, I'm still in school for another year, so I may get a killer job for the summer and be able to put down the cash, but right now I'm dead broke. :( But with my fingers crossed I am hoping to get it done soon enough, so wish me luck getting a good job. :)

I know how that job thing feels. My boss is having a breakdowna firing people left and right. I gotta find a new job, cuz I heard thru the walls that I'm the next one in her sights

So wish us both luck.

I'm surprised no one has said CTR yet.
CTR = destroked ITR block, even better R/S ratio than B16A, semi-ported head from factory. Add in some more aggressive cams and valvetrain and you have a motor built OEM (well, nearly) to spin to 10k.

The factory port jobs on the CTR/ITR really are piss poor.

Endyn states they can get more power out of a stock B16 head, than an ITR head simply because of the spots and amount of material removed.

plus b16 motors are dirt cheap to buy in case you blow one up. CTRs and ITRs are essspensive. Too rich for my blood to drop cllose to 4g's on a stock motor just to sink another 4-5gs building it up. They'll both work fine, just one costs a lot less to start out with.

Originally posted by nismogod@Jun 21 2004, 02:30 PM
i thought the b16 had a damn near perfect R/S ? eh, 10k. lol.

It really depends on your requirements for the engine. No one is perfect for every application; the b16 is just a good compromise and satisfied the requirements of the engineers who were responsible for it's design. Just check out the r/s ratios of some bikes out there, insane revs are required to make any power out of them. They still don't have any torque.

Originally posted by nismogod@Jun 21 2004, 04:30 PM
i thought the b16 had a damn near perfect R/S ? eh, 10k. lol.

1.74... about as close as you're going to get. :D

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 4 2004, 08:15 AM
Just the best compromise for power and revs on something going to 8-9k.

:)

:werd:
There is no perfect R/S ratio, it is all a compromise to get what you want out of your motor. Most bike engines are running a R/S that is much higher than 1.74:1 because they rev to like 15-18k rpms. but then again, they only have to pull about 600 total lb of weight. Personally if you really want to make a high revving motor last a lot longer, widen the main and rod bearing surfaces to allow the load to be better distributed, and then your bearings will last longer. Those are almost always the first thing to go when you are revving that high. But that kind of work is expensive, and you would have to go and get custom rods and bearings, not to mention 1000s of bucks in machine work on the crank, so not really worth it. I am getting a complete b16a bottom end for 125, so you choose the better path, replace block, or design/build better block...

hey Bergy, pal, how are you.

if I were you, I would get a B16A block, sleeve it with econo sleeves and put some 86 MM Super Duper's in it, to give you like 12.5:1 compression, and then some good rod bolts on whatever rods you got. Good valvetrain.

And then put the rev limiter at like 11k and go for it. Probably be the highest HP B16A ever. I am finished building a 85.5 Mm B16A right now, and I expect it to make about 230 WHP. Its a 1.8 liter from bore only. About 12.8:1 compression, with a GSR head, and a crazy intake manifold I had made for it.

I am with you all the way man. I want to sell my h23/VTEC so I can get a B16A and boost it. Have a 10,000 RPM 400 WHP monster bike killer.

You live in the LA area?

Jeff

Originally posted by Import Builders@Jul 11 2004, 02:11 AM
hey Bergy, pal, how are you.

if I were you, I would get a B16A block, sleeve it with econo sleeves and put some 86 MM Super Duper's in it, to give you like 12.5:1 compression, and then some good rod bolts on whatever rods you got. Good valvetrain.

And then put the rev limiter at like 11k and go for it. Probably be the highest HP B16A ever. I am finished building a 85.5 Mm B16A right now, and I expect it to make about 230 WHP. Its a 1.8 liter from bore only. About 12.8:1 compression, with a GSR head, and a crazy intake manifold I had made for it.

I am with you all the way man. I want to sell my h23/VTEC so I can get a B16A and boost it. Have a 10,000 RPM 400 WHP monster bike killer.

You live in the LA area?

Jeff

Hey Jeff! Nice to hear some input from you on my build. I actually live in San Luis Obispo, about an hour north of Santa Barbara. I am probably going to go with 85 mm for some extra sleeve strength. Right now, I have no money so I am just rebuilding my b18a do get it driving. p30 pistons, and a mild pnp done by yours truly, just for some machining experience. The b16a is a little too expensive for my college student budget right now, but maybe I can get a good lump of money, I'll do it. When I do, my machine shop is getting a dyno, and I'd like to order an s200 system from you and have you dyno tune it for me, when I have enough money to be worth youre time. And yeah, I'll be looking to make peak hp at around 9500-10k rpm. Shooting for around 225, and I might consider spraying on occasion, sincew I will be putting some hefty block reinforcement (LA Sleeves, block girdle). My shop does REALLY good work, but I just can't afford them right now. I will definitely be going with you for components when I start building. Your pistons are good, but I might go with some cunningham ultralights, or crower billets, and probably oversize the bearings to disperse the loads at such high rpms, if necessary and cost effective to make it a reliable machine.

i would go with the b18 not much bigger and if you are going to build i wold build a b18 over a b16 but if you are just starting and you don't want to do anything and want to high rev go with the b16

Back