i was so close....please help :(

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
ok so i got the crx about 99% done. for those who done know its a 91 crx si with b18c1 engine running a obd1 p72 ecu. really all she needs is an allignment and an intake tube. so i was driving today, and i was taking a ramp to get from one road to another. half way up the ramp the car starts to stumble. when i get off the ramp the car is running like shit, barely has any power and just dies on me. i try to start it up, and it starts but barely, and its running like shit and doesnt want to hold idle. it runs really rough. i shut it off and start to look around in the engine bay looking for anything out of place or broken or leaking.

car isnt leaking a drop of oil/coolant or anything else and there is no CEL. i had just replaced the timing belt, water pump, and crank pulley. spark plugs, wires, coil, cap, rotor are all brand new. one thing to note is that im running with no intake tube. so after i get done checking everything and figeting with the electrical connections i open the throttle body. i see smoke but only a little bt and it goes away almost immediately. smoke was a grey color. after letting it sit for like 20 minutes, i go to start it and it starts back up again a little rough at first but smooths out. i rev it up a little and everything seems fine. i try to limp home, and about a mile down the road the same thing happens. it died on me and would barely start back up. so i called a tow truck and had it towed home.

heres some vids of me trying to start it and getting it started. im sorry for the quality and darkness but it was 11:30 pm and i was stranded on the side of the road.
vid one
vid two
*the rattling sound in the second vid is the change in my ashtray rattling*

what could this be? blown headgasket? could i have sucked something into the engine due to the lack of an intake tube? i was a clear night and i didnt run over any rocks or dusty patch or anything.

keep in mind that this was a sudden thing that happened without warning. car was running perfectly then just stareted to run like shit and died on me.

im draining the oil tomorrow to see if theres any coolant in the oil or anything else that could be bad.

any and all help is greatly appreciated.

do a compression check. i have a feeling its your ignition timing, check that out

timing is DEAD on. and ignition rotor is still solid and in place. so is the screw for it...

compression test time

What ramp were you on i think i saw you pulled over. Well i saw a red crx. Me and my buddy were in his 68 camaro. It was green and white.He is a mechanic and he said it is not good to run with no intake because you have nothing to filter out the debris. He said check out the tb and make sure it is clean and if nothing shows up then try a compression test like B16 said. Hope you get it fixed soon.

Check the compression.

I had this same problem. It ended up being a bent valve that was stuck open. It sounds like its running on <4 cylinder.

Did your throttle get stuck open at all prior to the problem?

Originally posted by FearDaGreenCivic+Aug 11 2004, 11:38 AM-->
What ramp were you on i think i saw you pulled over. Well i saw a red crx. Me and my buddy were in his 68 camaro. It was green and white.He is a mechanic and he said it is not good to run with no intake because you have nothing to filter out the debris. He said check out the tb and make sure it is clean and if nothing shows up then try a compression test like B16 said. Hope you get it fixed soon.
[post=375290]Quoted post[/post]​
it first died on me when i was taking the ramp from martin blvrd to eastern avenue. i was there for a while, then i got it running again and i tried to limp home down eastern avenue and it died on me again right in front of the air national guard on eastern avenue.

Originally posted by spydy43@Aug 11 2004, 01:36 PM
Did your throttle get stuck open at all prior to the problem?
[post=375355]Quoted post[/post]​

no

brc80
@Aug 11 2004, 02:15 PM
Map sensor?
[post=375377]Quoted post[/post]​

no, no CEL's. and its connected fine.

this sounds like wut happend to my buddy with his b18c1 swap in his 93teg.. he ended up havin to pull the head off and replace the head gasket and head studs cuz he suked in crap even tho u think its a nice night out u coulda sucked in a bird or sumthign.... no but if u drivin behind soming or pass somone then ur suckin in dirt streight into the motor.. no offence but not the smartest thing to do, run with out a filter.. with my buddy there were no obvous signs of blown head gasket but once he put it back together he was runnin great.. so i am thinkin thats wut happend to u.. sry bro

Originally posted by CRseX84@Aug 11 2004, 03:01 PM
no offence but not the smartest thing to do, run with out a filter
[post=375403]Quoted post[/post]​

i know its not smart, but i have no choice right now. the lack of an intake tube really sucks, ive been waiting on one in the mail for about a week, and i dont drive the car daily, it was the first time i had taken it out for a real drive.

not to be an ass hat but that 2nd vid didnt help much.. couldnt hear damn thing but some rattling (your change) and cars passing.....

have you taken off your valve cover?? I know a guy that broke is fucking cam but where the crack was it still let the engine run but was shitttttttty.... pull the vavle cover and see whats up underthere...never know.. might find something else int he process!

no coolant in the oil but the coolant was unusually low. i changed the oil and topped off the coolant and the car started up with a little hesitation. idle was a little surge-ish but smoothed out and ran fine. what the hell is goin on?

tempramental motor???

your test reuslts seem fine, if I am not mistaken usually when there is a difference of 20+ points especially in two pistons that fire at the same time then you should be worried........any input fellas

bump. i got some more vids to help show whats goin on. basically the car runs fine until ive driven it for a little while. the following vids are in chronological order.

first two vids are of me doing some "sprited" driving on a road right by my house.

http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/members/2000si/IMGP1101.AVI
http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/members/2000si/IMGP1102.AVI

the next few vids are directly right after those runs. i stopped in my driveway and was talking to my dad with the car running and it started to act up again. i grabbed the camera and shot it.
http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/members/2000si/IMGP1103.AVI
http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/members/2000si/IMGP1104.AVI
http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/members/2000si/IMGP1105.AVI

now what you see in the first vid is the same thing thats been happening. the first time this happened the car ran A LOT worse. and the car was a lot harder to keep runnning. you can hear the car surging and running uneven. any ideas?

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1+Aug 21 2004, 08:59 AM-->
bad wire, fouled plug, bad grounds, TPS, TB throttle plate not completely closeing
[post=380002]Quoted post[/post]​
what wire?

explain what exactly it means for a plug to be fouled. and how can that cause an intermittent problem (i understand how it could cause an ongoing problem but not intermittent)

grounds are good

TPS is still a possibility....

throttle plate is fine. again i dont see how that could cause an intermittent problem.

hcivic.com
@Aug 21 2004, 08:09 PM
are you burning any oil or coolant ie smoke?
[post=380120]Quoted post[/post]​

not that i know of. no smoke when i run the car, some at first when i firs start but its mostlikely just steam and it goes away.

Back