I was watching CNN...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Calesta@Sep 8 2005, 02:08 AM

This is why I hate these political threads.

Look at the price of gas before the hurricane hit. That would follow your minimum wage argument.

If you look at the value of the dollar compared to the value of gas, you would have your correlation. The amount of minimum wage does not necessarily follow the value of the dollar. Comparing minimum wage to the price of gas isn't the same as comparing the value of the dollar to the price of gas. Minimum wage does not vary directly with inflation.
[post=551285]Quoted post[/post]​

Go ahead, $2.10 minimum wage in 1975 was equal to $6.xx+ in 1996 terms.
There is no correlation here to have, i am putting numbers down for those interested. Minimum wage surely does not follow the value of a dollar, or anything else for that matter, it's a real comparison none the less.
The whole inflation bullshit talk is just a hyped up sound-good media assram blow-by.
Inflation has to do with the cost of things and living expenses going up.
Gas is a thing, it costs more.
Maybe you should go ahead and skip this political thread too. :)

Originally posted by phyregod@Sep 7 2005, 11:06 PM
I'm telling you, nuclear power is where its at...

Uranium is plentiful.. and you don't need much to power a fucking city. We run out of fossil fuel? so friggin what. We've got 10,000 years worth of uranium laying around. We can drive electric cars.
[post=551110]Quoted post[/post]​

At current consumption rates, we would run out of known U-235 deposits in 50 years, at a conservative figure.

Originally posted by VTECin5th@Sep 8 2005, 01:47 AM
C'mon. Accounting for inflation and standard of living today when compared to the 70s, if you took the average gas price in the 70s and pulled it forward into today's dollars, you would be paying $3.14 a gallon for regular gas. I think what we've been paying has been pretty cheap in comparison. When you compare the price of gas in a particular time frame to the value of the dollar in that same time frame, gas prices have actually been on a steady decline since the 70s.

That is what you want to hear tho.
Last nite i looked up minimum wage avgs and compared minimum wage to the gas price avgs in 1975.
Gas: August 1975 avg: premium $1.26 regular $1.16. [Which was up from $.59]
Sure the gas price DOUBLED, same shock for them right?
Minimum Wage: 1975 2.10
So in 1975, about half of your minimum wage job hourly went to paying for one gallon of gas. Which is about %53.
Gas: August 2005 avg: $3.00+ (low rounded AVG)
Minimum Wage: $5.15
Which is about %61 of your hourly minimum wage job pay now.
So sure, compared to 'inflation' we got it good right?
Gimme a break, quit listening to what the media wants you to hear, and listen for facts, not 'roundabouts'.
Between $.14 and $.51 cents is state+federal taxes depending on where you live.
People who keep comparing this to Europe, they CHOSE to raise tax prices on gas many years ago, so that they didn't pollute their country like we do... and guess what, it worked. They have subways, rails etc, we have City Bus here, nothin special.
I agree with some viewpoints here though, except "Bush is doing a good job", that is only an opinion because some people actually can somehow believe that.
Also, last nite they (CNN) said it costs only 4 Million to start an off shore drilling rig and refinery.

Don't take anything you hear on CNN for the gospel.

Also, I'll be polite and say that your math on the gas prices is faulty at best.

Federal minimum wage is $5.15. There are states out there that have a minimum wage of $7.50 and $8.00.

To do the math really has nothing to do with what percent of your wages that gasoline costs you. Its all about what you can buy with a dollar anymore. Perhaps inflation has increased and the average wage has not increased very much, does that make sense to you?

The value of the dollar is way down. The American dollar was comparatively worth more in 1975 than it is now. And yes, here in OR the state minimum wage is 7.25 per hour. I think there are a couple states higher than OR.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Sep 8 2005, 09:18 AM
The value of the dollar is way down. The American dollar was comparatively worth more in 1975 than it is now. And yes, here in OR the state minimum wage is 7.25 per hour. I think there are a couple states higher than OR.
[post=551342]Quoted post[/post]​

Did you just agree with me? :ph34r: :p

Yeah - the end of the world is due any minute.

Some things are just common sense though. If I were to say "the dollar is the most valuable it's ever been!" just to be an ass, I'd be stupid and a liar.

Just to add something else... We could have all of the oil in the world, but gas prices would not drop becuase we don't have the refining capacity that we need in this country. Before the hurricane we were at 95% refining capacity for the country. With no new refineries being built for 29 years, not one. Why?

Maybe now with high gas prices the general voting public will see what makes the oil industry tick. And get some refineries built, but who knows oil companies are struggling right.

Originally posted by phyregod@Sep 7 2005, 11:06 PM
I'm telling you, nuclear power is where its at...

Uranium is plentiful.. and you don't need much to power a fucking city. We run out of fossil fuel? so friggin what. We've got 10,000 years worth of uranium laying around. We can drive electric cars.
[post=551110]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

One lil meltdown in a country with substandard controls (USSR) and everybody here freaks out.

The current technology is so advanced/powerful, that nuclear power is, for all intensive purposes, completely harmless.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Sep 8 2005, 07:47 AM
Don't take anything you hear on CNN for the gospel.

Also, I'll be polite and say that your math on the gas prices is faulty at best.

Federal minimum wage is $5.15. There are states out there that have a minimum wage of $7.50 and $8.00.

To do the math really has nothing to do with what percent of your wages that gasoline costs you. Its all about what you can buy with a dollar anymore. Perhaps inflation has increased and the average wage has not increased very much, does that make sense to you?
[post=551317]Quoted post[/post]​

I didn't and i know better, but it wasn't a one-sided argument, and i like to see debates on TV asking the same questions we want answers to.. and asking them to people who know (the oil tycoonERS).
Federal minimum wage is $5.15 and the highest minimum wage is WA at $7.35.
These are unconditional, San Francisco as a city has the highest minimum wage ($8) on conditions though.
So I'll be polite and say that your math figures for minimum wage are faulty at best.

To do the math really has nothing to do with what percent of your wages that gasoline costs you.

Oh...... really? You're probly right, doing the math doesn't work, i guess i should try to compare numbers in a pyschology course, or physical fitness class.
Its all about what you can buy with a dollar anymore. Perhaps inflation has increased and the average wage has not increased very much, does that make sense to you?

I completely agree, inflation has increased and wages didn't follow.
As of right now, it's been 9 years since minimum wage has been increased.
The last long gas was from 1981 to 1989 where it stayed at $3.35.

I'm not saying good things won't come out of all this, because i know they will, like i said in my first thread, im putting down real numbers and facts for other people to read.

Everyone needs to start investing in stainless steel right now, seriously...
i think ->Steve will know why ;)

Originally posted by VTECin5th@Sep 9 2005, 02:18 AM
Everyone needs to start investing in stainless steel right now, seriously...
i think ->Steve will know why ;)
[post=551806]Quoted post[/post]​

:shrug2:

->

Back