I Win, B... Not so much!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
Looked at the tag on the inside of the drivers door frame on the 99 Windstar I drive. This is what Ford thinks of my van, they think it's a truck. :D

pwnt. :ph34r:

Attachments

• TRUCK!!.jpg
    TRUCK!!.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 110
all SUVs, Vans will be considered as trucks.. main reason we cant legally swap a b20 in CA.. its considered a truck motor

Um yeah - they also thought my parents minivan was a truck too. I don't get it?

My dad has always bought vans for work vans, and I always called it a truck. B has always been on my ass whenever I say "truck". I say it's a truck because it's not a passenger van, it's caged and I can't legally carry more than one passenger.

B has always said it's a van because, well, it's the same as a passenger van. Well, Ford put "truck" on their vin plate on the door sill which I just noticed today. Therefore, I win.

Some minivans were classified as cars- the Chrysler line for example. Our 88 Caravan wasn't required to carry truck plates.

If you have the option of putting the seats back in, it'll always be a passenger van unless it was professionally modified and/or caged. There is a certification sticker next to the vin sticker on my door sill. At least this is how it is in Indiana.

Its only classified as a truck considering the weight. So if a van is just shy of the truck class weight, then its classed as a passenger vehicle.

Ours was if we decided to remove the back seats on a full time basis. It was always on of those grey areas.

It probably changed based on state.

Its only classified as a truck considering the weight. So if a van is just shy of the truck class weight, then its classed as a passenger vehicle.

This leads me to believe it's based on state laws more than weight- my Nissan Hardbody weighs considerably less than our Caravan did, but it's required to be registered as a truck.

God bless Ohio, if it's a F750 Long bed large quantity group cab dually 12 foot tall som bitch, if it's a personal vehicle it says truck under type of vehicle on the registration, otherwise, no special plates. My 91 explorer was labeled a station wagon. Also here, you can yank the motor out of that F750 and drop it on a Toyota Tercel and as long as you can get to meet all specs with visibility, and motor encasement, it's perfectly legal.

Back