I woke up in my own bed this morning......

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phyregod

!!YTINASNI
Woke up in my own bed early this morning.. In central Texas. I am now carving mountain roads in a 2010 camaro in northrn California! Amazing how much can change in one day if you put your mind to it.

My grandfather died. Scrambled the wife and kids up here (by air, of course). So now I am spending 5 days buzzing around norcal visiting family and attending the funeral.

Where in NorCal?

Remember to use the slang of the natives here with "hella". :)

That's weird, I literally just booked a trip to San Fran this weekend. My friend asked me last weekend if I wanted to go, and half jokingly agreed.

Then today I realized that I had a three day weekend so I called him to see how serious he was about the trip, and he was ready to book. So we fly in on Friday evening, fly back Monday afternoon. We're staying at the Westin St. Francis in Union Square.

As far as my grandfather...I'll type up something later.. Not while driving. I am pretty messed up over it..

Yeah.. I have a TON of family up here that I haven't seen in years. And it's nice to get back here, just to see the land and soak it up. I'm way up here in redding and heading further north.

In other news, the camaro is nice to look at, makes you giggle when you look at it. It handles surprisingly well for what it is.. Easy to kick the tail out and keep it there. But the interior is cheap shit. I mean falling apart cheap. And you can't see out of the damn thing at all. Tiny windows and thick pillars = gigantic blind spots. Wouldn't own one personally.

:(

Remember to hold down the traction control button for 7 continuous seconds to disable traction control AND stability control. Took me a while to find that out when I had one as a rental. I couldn't get mine to hang the tail out for any period of time, but I didn't have any good open curves to do it in either. :(

Back home again. Had a good trip. I met family I never knew I had. That one man (my grandfather) spawned more than 75 of us. He had 9 kids, they had kids, we had kids and some of our kids have had kids.. It was a real eye opener as to how big the family really is. I was able to visit my grandmother whom I have not seen in 14 years, among many other family members. They were pretty much fighting over us the whole time.. Who we stayed with, who got to feed us.. Its nice to be loved in such a way.

Funeral went as funerals go.. We packed a little church in Stonyford well beyond capacity with family and friends.. Church designed for maybe 100 people had 200+ in it. Everyone told stories and laughed and cried.

My grandfather was a huge guy. 6'3" (i think) and 300ish pounds. Not a fat man at all. Red skin and a big red beard.. And a heart to match his size. He was always robust and over the top with everything. "Rude and crude with a gigantic heart" as most put it.

He has been in bad health for the last several years.. Kidney problems, lung problems, heart problems, cancer, etc.. And he was getting up there in age as well.. But he just fought his way through it, never went down, never took a wheel chair or laid in bed sick. He just powered his way through it until he just couldn't take it anymore. Waited for my grandmother to go to church, walked behind the wood shed, and shot himself. He left a note to my grandmother saying that he just couldn't take it anymore and he was to the point of existing instead of living, and the pain had become unbearable.

Suicide has never touched either side of my family, ever. It was a tough thing to go through.. but I think I understand it now. He was a big proud guy and he didn't want to drag everyone and himself through a long, slow, painful death. I do wish he would have at least called to say goodbye, but I understand why he couldn't..

I'll miss him.

Back