I won!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94RedSiGal

Sorry this is so long. Read only if you are very bored. :lol:

Background: About eight years ago, I bought four Toyo Proxes tires from Direct Tire in Watertown, MA on a special promotion. I paid full retail price (less 10% for having a Star Market card) and in return, for as long as I own my car (forever), my Toyos have a lifetime warranty that includes road hazards and even wearout. So far I've gotten eight free tires from them. But it was their promotion... and I do buy snow tires from them.

Three weeks ago, I noticed a bubble in the sidewall of my front drivers tire. Right away I bought my car in and got the tire replaced. It was suggested at that point that perhaps I had hit a bad pothole, although I didn't remember having done so. Oddly, at that point, the tire shop guy, Ivan, didn't suggest I have my alignment checked.

So... two days ago, I go for an oil change and do my usual undercarriage inspection. Hmmm... my front passenger tire is badly worn on the inside and there is a flat spot. Not good. I never let my tires get that way. So I make an appointment for yesterday (Friday) for the tire replacement and an alignment at Direct Tire.

I go in, and about an hour later, I am summoned to talk to the alignment tech. Joe accuses me of racing in my car and having lowered it. He also mentions that my car is old and with high mileage on it. The issue is that my camber on the front drivers side is way off. Now remember, the bad tire is on the right... well I am not willing to be rushed into any hasty repair decisions, so I tell the tech to do the best he can, and that I need my tire replaced. He tells me that another tech has to do that. I go back to Ivan. He doesn't want to replace the bad tire until I have the camber issue addressed. So I remind him that I have a FWD car and that I wish for my back set of tires to be moved up front. He agrees and asks for another hour and a half to complete that assignment.

I get my car back and go to my dealership to talk to my friends over there about my options for repair. Then I go home to stew about the events at the dealership. It takes me awhile, but I make my notes... and returned this morning to press my case yet again.

1. The bad tire is old and worn... but has always been on the righthand side of the car. The other tires are much younger.
2. The camber issue is young. My snow tires are evenly worn, even after going down to Florida in them and up to Toronto before returning home. I would have had the car alignment three weeks ago, had they suggested it.
3. I have separate rims and tires for my autocrossing. In no way is my car lowered. I have 3"+ gapes between my tires and the fenderwells. WTF is wrong with that tech's eyes?

Ivan was not very happy to see me back today and called me a troublemaker. I remained calm and referred to my written list of notes. I presented my case logically and loudly enough for the rest of the customers in the waiting area to hear me. I think a letter needs to be sent to the owner of the shop about Ivan though. It further annoys me that the bad tire actually was still on the front of my car this morning. Grr....

Well I go back to get my car at noon. :)

My past issues with Direct Tire, and I just happen to get Ivan a lot. lol.

1. Last summer while autocrossing, everyone who helped me switch to my Falkens noticed that my lugnuts were overtorqued. Even my mechanics did. So... then once last fall and then again this spring, I had wheel studs that were crossthreaded by them, break off. They replaced them for free. However, the second time around, I bought a set of new OEM lugnuts and had them put anti-seize on the insides. No problems changing tires now. :)

2. Got the snows put on my car last winter. For some reason, two of the front tires wouldn't hold air and they both had a very slow leak. Good thing that I keep an air pressure gauge in my glovebox. I would overfill the tires every evening for the two days it took to get an appointment with them to redo the job. It turns out that they had to take off the tires and clean the rims. In their rush however... they knocked out one of my black plastic covers for the rear strut towers, I never found it, it must have flown out in their shop. I looked throughly in my car, my yard and in my basement for it. I replaced it for $5 and never charged them. But my car was the last car in the shop that day and a group effort project.

*sigh*

Originally posted by Airjockie@May 22 2004, 09:25 AM
QUOTE (pissedoffsol @ Mar 21 2004, 05:00 PM)
women + wheels = bad

Ivan at Direct Tire would agree... but I'm never leaving him or them. :)

SUCKS FOR THEM.

they have to honor that warranty. if you wanted to hard press that case with more proof, your helms should show that your springs are indeed stock height and your shocks are adjustable when you travel with a loaded car, ie ANTIQUES. :D

same deal with best buy... i could stomp on those subs and they would have to replace them. B)

Yet again another reason why I'm glad I dont' have tits, and can do my own work. :)

Then again, if I did have tits, I'd never leave my bedroom....

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@May 22 2004, 11:59 AM

Then again, if I did have tits, I'd never leave my bedroom....

:rofl:

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@May 22 2004, 08:20 AM
for as long as I own my car (forever), my Toyos have a lifetime warranty that includes road hazards and even wearout. So far I've gotten eight free tires from them. But it was their promotion...

Some VP at Red Lobster recently (maybe a year ago) came up with an "all you can eat shrimp" promotion, thinking that the price of the dinner would more than cover the amount of eaten shrimp - resulting in a nice profit for Red Lobster, and a promotion for him.

Well, it sort of backfired, as several people apparently like shrimp. A lot. In fact, someone (Martine comes to mind) is probably going back for 952nds as I type this.

The VP was fired.

Burp.

When I picked up my car, the guy read off the terms of the warranty, which they've never ever done before. Tire rotation every 6K miles (free), alignments every 12K miles (they noticed that I've only done it twice ever at their shop in all these miles and years). I also have to mail in a postcard to the NTSB for tire registration in case of a recall (due to the Firestone thing).

Then my car was blocked in front and back and sort of sideways, but I managed to scoot out of the space after a few back and forth manuveurs... no way was I going back inside again. I managed a 360 degree turnaround... and never touched the BMW's around me. :)

soooo.... you go to a tireshop that obviously is getting tired of dealing with you, and doesn't want to fix your car correctly, but yet you still go there?

If I were you, i'd go to a place that actually WANTS your business, instead of trying to nag somebody that wants nothing to do with you.

Originally posted by ScrapinSi@May 23 2004, 09:39 AM
soooo.... you go to a tireshop that obviously is getting tired of dealing with you, and doesn't want to fix your car correctly, but yet you still go there?

If I were you, i'd go to a place that actually WANTS your business, instead of trying to nag somebody that wants nothing to do with you.

they have no choice. they have to honor their promotion/warranty.

whether they like it or not, if she goes there she gets her tires for free. :)

shit, they are the idiots who gave that rediculous warranty, they HAVE to go by it. From what i read the warranty says "if you break it, we buy it", in regards to tires.

Back