Ian's build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Cooooooool. Want a mint spare GSR block? Your pistons might rattle around in the bores though...
Yes. It will fit perfectly in the family of 2 b16 blocks and a b18a block I have in the garage...Give it to me for free. You don't need it, and you make buko bucks at LM now :)

No problem, as long as you walk all the way here from Cali to get it and collect a dollar at each intersection, then give me whatever money you collect when you get here.

:wink:

Oh yeah, I've never been more broke in my whole life than I am now. :cry:
yeah, but you're driving an s2000, so it can't be that bad.

No, Ian, I haven't checked with hondata yet regarding the race gasket, but I'll let you know when I decide to run with the b16 manifold. I haven't to my knowledge seen anyone use a b16 manifold on an ls yet, but I'll try it soon enough. I might just hack the flange off an ls manifold, and weld it to the b16 runners, shouldn't be hard at all. That would qualify as being 'modified only for fitment' under HC rules, right? :)
I'll probably be building a HC capable LS soon enough. I still want a turbo b16 though.

finally checked the thread ian. looks good so far. one hthng i forgot to ask last night, was where are you building this at? your apartment or your basement? And from the drive last night, i feel your car is fast enough... almost as fast as mine :) i cant have you nipping at my rear bumper in corner #6 of eastern avenue. what is this The Touge?

another mini update.

wil, it was a valiant effort painting that valve cover but i coulnt keep it man. i wanted the stock look back, but didnt want to buy a stock cover (plus they are a tad hard to find in mint condition for a decent price) and i wanted to keep the cutout. stripping and repainting was an option, but it wouldnt have turned out as nice as id want, and plus being at school kinda leaves no time or place to paint. so i decided to send it off to get stripped and powdercoated.

i got it done buy a guy from civicland.com (mntdewred). he did all the prep work, stripping the paint, degreasing, media blasting, prebaking, masking letters, powdercoat, everything.

he layed down a crome coat first
gallery_1242_496_27290.jpg

then masked off everything i told him to (which was basically everything) and then layed the wrinkle black powdercoat. im very pleased at how well this turned out.
gallery_1242_496_169206.jpg

gallery_1242_496_105844.jpg

gallery_1242_496_117817.jpg

if you need anything small powdercoated i highly recommend this guy. he does great work, and prices are VERY good.

i couldnt be more pleased. i have a basically new VC now that looks stock and has the cutout for cams :thumbsup:

I understand why to guy on here in the part section doesnt get no bussiness. That looks like good work and he is selling cheap ass rattle can shit forlike $45.

Ian, pm me his email address since I'm not on civicland, please? What did he charge you btw?

small update, no pics though :cry:

took the block to the machine shop this morning. getting:
bored - matched to the .25mm OS pistons i took them. also provided them with the proper piston-wall clearance from the helms (something like .01-.04mm)
honed - also gave proper specs from helms. 400 grit stone or finer w/ 60 degree croshatch pattern
hot tanked
repair broken bolt hole. one of the halfshaft bolt hole was fux0red. will have to be rewelded and retapped
check deck warpage - deck if necessary
install new pistons on my rods

the shop quoted me at:
14/hole for bore/hone
30 for hot tank
6/piston to install pistons
50ish to repair bolt hole
40 to deck if needed

so im looking at like 160-200ish for everything. not bad :) im glad i gave them all the specs. worth the piece of mind to know they wont mess it up. only thing im a little worried about is the block is only gonna be over bored like .25mm (.010") and the guy at the shop said its tough to bore such a small amount, and its understandable, think how small a 1/4 of a millimeter is. he said he will see what he can do so hopefully it comes out ok.

yea im not buddies with a reputable honda shop :p. thank guys

yeah, but you have got a manfold on your car that I touched with my own hands, that's gotta be good for something. I want my cookie.
:)

another update since i know you all just love them :)

machine shop STILL has my block. but oh well. i called them they said should be done by next week.
my fuel rail is out geting powdercoated. should've had that back already too but the guy had to re-do it. no biggie.
bought some misc. parts i need. IACV, crank timing belt gear.
bought some parts from acura that im gonna need: ITR oil pump, misc bolts, oil cooler joint (block didnt have one for some reason), other small shit.
also picked up a rod bolt stretch guage from summit, this is the one:

sum-900015.jpg

ill update with more pics once i get all the parts. oh and my camera took a shit, lol. so i'll have to find anothe one, lol.

Back